Confirmed with Link: Toronto gets Campbell and Clifford for Moore, 2nd (cond) & 3rd (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Lol, how anyone could say we weren't desperate is unreal. Your characterization is just a made up scenario. We desperately needed a backup goalie. Hello.

Yes, we needed a backup, but Dubas didn't desperately overpay for him. The Leafs are making a run for the playoffs and that means having to get rid of draft picks to upgrade the roster. We may have to give up more draft picks and or players to get a quality defenseman.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Lol, how anyone could say we weren't desperate is unreal. Your characterization is just a made up scenario. We desperately needed a backup goalie. Hello.
How is this desperate? Lou trades 2 Seconds for Two 4C Boyle and Turtleneck. That’s the same as Dubas trading for Clifford. Then have Moore and a 3rd for a backup goalie with really good terms.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
In the context of our team, a minor trade like this was indeed a desperation move of sorts due to our backup goalie being so incompetent we were blowing winnable games at an alarming rate. Probably looking at 0/6 points instead of 5/6 points with Hutch at the helm instead of Campbell.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
How is this desperate? Lou trades 2 Seconds for Two 4C Boyle and Turtleneck. That’s the same as Dubas trading for Clifford. Then have Moore and a 3rd for a backup goalie with really good terms.
Wtf cares about Lou, weird you make it about that. Also telling...

Desperate:

-feeling of really wanting something or of trying really hard to make something happen.
- having an urgent need
-a person that needs or wants something badly

Some of you guys need to go look back at Hutch in net.

Reactions: egd27

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
After a very short sample, it seems clear that Campbell is a vast improvement over the last 2 guys we had. It also appears that Clifford is out of place with the kind of offensive team that Dubas & Keefe wanted to assemble. The apparent improvement in net is a much bigger deal.

Reactions: Keon1963

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
After a very short sample, it seems clear that Campbell is a vast improvement over the last 2 guys we had. It also appears that Clifford is out of place with the kind of offensive team that Dubas & Keefe wanted to assemble. The apparent improvement in net is a much bigger deal.

It's been 3 games and 2 of them were a back to back with 1 practice here. Completely new system so probably gonna take a few weeks to really feel comfortable here.

Reactions: deprw

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
It's been 3 games and 2 of them were a back to back with 1 practice here. Completely new system so probably gonna take a few weeks to really feel comfortable here.

Possibly, but to me he doesn't look like a good enough skater to keep up. I'll give him a pass on that dumb penalty. I'll check back in a few weeks.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
My only knock on Dubas is that he waited until Andersen went down to make this trade. It was abundantly clear months ago that we needed a better replacement in goal. Love the trade wish it had happened in November. I believe had it happened we would be comfortable in the playoffs. We got only 9 pts from backups to the trade. We got 5 in 3 games with Soupy.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
My only knock on Dubas is that he waited until Andersen went down to make this trade. It was abundantly clear months ago that we needed a better replacement in goal. Love the trade wish it had happened in November. I believe had it happened we would be comfortable in the playoffs. We got only 9 pts from backups to the trade. We got 5 in 3 games with Soupy.
According to reports the trade has been in the works for months.
LA wasn't ready to pull the trigger

Reactions: stopclickbait

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Good trade just for getting Campbell so far. He has been excellent

not sure about Clifford however. it seems like he's chasing the play every shift

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It takes 2 GMs to make a trade. Both have to be ready to make it happen.

Apparently, GM Blake was not ready to pull the trigger on this trade in November. It was only the last couple of weeks when he decided to let go of Campbell, and fan favorite, Clifford.

Just because your team has a hole to fill, doesn't always mean there is another team ready to help you out, unless, an overpayment is made.

So, Dubas had to wait for a team to be ready. Apparently, the Rangers wanted way too much for Georgiev, so, Dubas had to wait.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
If we make it to the playoffs, that's when Clifford will really shine.
I watched the Vancouver vs Calgary game a few nights ago and they were bullying Petersen every single shift and it clearly got in his head. He was flopping around on the ice and wailing to the refs it was actually pretty funny to watch. I would like to see Clifford start doing a bit of 'that' for us.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Good trade just for getting Campbell so far. He has been excellent

not sure about Clifford however. it seems like he's chasing the play every shift

He's adapting to a totally different system. Under Babcock he probably would have fit right in but it's going to take him some time.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Campbell makes the trade worth it alone. 5/6 points since he came.

If Hutch was in net, would probably be 0/6 and destined to miss the playoffs at this point.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Looks like it's going to be a 2nd for sure.

Clifford can be resigned after July 1st if Campbell is sitting on 5 wins.

I wonder if Campbell plays his former team tomorrow. It's what Keefe likes to do. He should also play against the two bottom feeders as well.

Give Andersen rest until Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think Clifford will work on the 4th line and bring that gritty element that the group needed. I think he gets around alright and makes a presence physically, I see some offensive flair in there.

Campbell looks great so far. I'm kind of excited about his potential. I think he could make the Leafs tandem one of the better ones in the NHL.

It does look like it will be a 2nd rd. Pick at this rate. So, re-signing Clifford if affordable and he performs up to expectations should make some sense.

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
Clifford and Muzzin know exactly what it takes to win. Trust me they want a cup in Toronto as much as anyone and we are lucky to have these guys that don’t mind playing the body a lil bit. It will come in handy in the playoffs. Even Dubas knows that you need a bit of toughness down the stretch to be a real nhl team.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You’re suggesting the 4D Chessmaster didn’t have this planned all along?

how dare you? :sarcasm:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Also looks great at handling the puck, I saw only one game, but he was really quick out to the corners to coral it, then sharp passes.

That too. He does like to help cycle the puck upice especially on the PP which I always hated about our goalies the last decade or so.

Always saw that as wasted time on the pp. Goalie comes out ans drops ut off behind the net...forces all the skaters to regroup and waste 20 seconds of time getting back in the O zone qhen it should be quick upped and back at it and cycling in the zone.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think I get what you're saying and I agree picks are important. I think it's natural though that when a team gets good, priorities shift. The impact of trading these picks is also lessened by the fact that earlier we were sellers and picked up a bunch of picks. I would say that each trade should be evaluated on it's own merit and if what you get in return is good enough then I think trading picks is OK, for example one 1st/2nd was used to get Andersen who's the best starter we've had since Belfour, definitely worth it IMO. And then the other was used to get rid of Marleau, if we don't do that then what happens? Are we unable to keep Kapanen and Johnsson? How much are those guys worth? I'm also not sure we can look at all these trades and call it a trend, after all only one of these 1st rounders was traded by Dubas, the other was Lou so there's that as well.

If we resign Clifford (and I believe that is the plan) I just love this trade. He's exactly what this team has been missing IMHO and I think he could have a huge impact on our overall compete level. If I'm right then he alone will be worth what we gave up.

Picks have value, no question about it. But I wouldn't overstate it either. Someone posted somewhere the guys that were picked with the picks we gave up for Boyle and Plecanek, doesn't look like those picks amounted to much. Now of course that doesn't always happen and if we draft well we could get really good players in the 2nd round, I'm just saying we shouldn't overstate the value of picks outside the 1st round. Picks have value, no doubt about it but we shouldn't get dogmatic about it and say never trade picks either. I'll say it again - judge every move on it's own merit and I like the moves Dubas has made, I like them a lot.

Agree with a bunch of what you said. On the topic of Marleau, it was unfortunate that we had to give up a 1st to move him. But, I go back to why we needed to sign him in the 1st place as we were definitely in the early rebuild phase then. So, for a patient team early in the rebuild, even getting Marleau was unnecessary.

I wasn't talking about one or two picks that were moved. I was referring to the six (two 1sts, two 2nds, two 3rds) that were moved. It seems like we were moving picks too early in the rebuild (even after drafting Matthews), and then continued to do so. It might not show now, but guessing it might further down the road. I'm not viewing this as being dogmatic because we were very early in the rebuild when we started this process. Not sure why we needed to rush the process. Oh well.

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad