Confirmed with Link: Toronto gets Campbell and Clifford for Moore, 2nd (cond) & 3rd (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
He's adapting to a totally different system. Under Babcock he probably would have fit right in but it's going to take him some time.

I hope so. I was happy that we picked him up and do think he will be an asset if we make the playoffs. Just hasn't looked great so far

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I wasn't talking about one or two picks that were moved. I was referring to the six (two 1sts, two 2nds, two 3rds) that were moved. It seems like we were moving picks too early in the rebuild (even after drafting Matthews), and then continued to do so. It might not show now, but guessing it might further down the road. I'm not viewing this as being dogmatic because we were very early in the rebuild when we started this process. Not sure why we needed to rush the process. Oh well.

Yup, I get what you're saying for sure. I remember when we got Boyle, I was OK with that but Plecanek was a waste of a pick. Marleau though, that was the really big mistake that cost us a first round pick, without that loss the overall picture is so much better. Oh well, nothing to be done now. But I do hope that we don't sell any futures for a short term fix at this TDL. I don't think we will, I do have faith in Dubas.

I think Campbell could become our starting goaltender.

That would be a dream come true, wouldn't it! He seems to have an opportunity for sure with Andersen's contract expiring after next season so the timing couldn't be better for him. Play as a backup first and if he does well, he could get 25-30 starts next season and be ready to take over after that.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Doubt Campbell is anything more than an above average backup, but that's pretty much what they needed. He's got room for growth, but not a great deal of room. Happy enough with the trade.

Was a little surprised to see that Moore is only 4 years younger than Clifford. I'm sure Clifford's got the body of a 35 year old, though, with how much hockey he's played.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Doubt Campbell is anything more than an above average backup, but that's pretty much what they needed. He's got room for growth, but not a great deal of room. Happy enough with the trade.

Was a little surprised to see that Moore is only 4 years younger than Clifford. I'm sure Clifford's got the body of a 35 year old, though, with how much hockey he's played.

Campbell - it seems to me he's just getting started perhaps.

Goalies do sometimes, and can, come into their own much much later. I speak from a little personal experience on this one here.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

That's all he is now, doesn't mean there isn't a chance he could be more in the future.

How would you know how much "room" he has?

Campbell - it seems to me he's just getting started perhaps.

Goalies do sometimes, and can, come into their own much much later. I speak from a little personal experience on this one here.

Remember Tim Thomas? ;)

Reactions: Rogie

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
That's all he is now, doesn't mean there isn't a chance he could be more in the future.

How would you know how much "room" he has?

Remember Tim Thomas? ;)

Sorry to one up you here, CHINA WALL,
Johnny Bower
but, there's a ton of OLD guys, who just got better in goal as they got older;

btw, wasn't that Miller the other day in the Ducks net, he's, what, 38 now???

Reactions: kb and Gary Nylund

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Campbell looked as good as a starter the other night. He may be one of those late blooming hidden gems, and if notnhe should be a good backuo.

Clifford looksnrough but obviously needs time with the team to find chemistry

Campbell has been good for a while. He's had a higher save percentage than Quick every single year (including this one before the trade). You don't luck out with a higher save percentage than the starter every year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Campbell has been good for a while. He's had a higher save percentage than Quick every single year (including this one before the trade). You don't luck out with a higher save percentage than the starter every year.

Goalies are such voodoo.

Some guys will like turn into superstars in their late 20 when given the right opportunity (ie Tim Thomas).

Fingers crossed the front office thinks hes that type of hidden gem

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Little worried about Campbell telling the goalie coach (in LA when they first acquired him from dallas) that he generally relied on reflexes in junior to make saves. I read an arcticle from a former but recent nhl goalie who said you do not stand a chance in goal unless your reading the play and being posional... a blade covering the puck tends to mean low shot, open blade high shot, a right hand shot down the right wing you can overplay a bit to the left side of your net... torso twisting indicating shot direction ect. I know guys like Hasek and Cujo seemed to rely on reflex alot too... but potvin recently said the difference between nhl players today and when he played is now all nhl players generally have hard shots where when he played only a few did and you knew who they were.

Campbell let in a couple goals recently where he slid out of position and lost the net. He over moved... but ferrarro did say he lost the puck. Also if you watch he really sells his glove saves and when he does the pad stack he sometimes does entire somersaults. Dont get me wrong i used to love when patty roy used to hold his glove in the air after a glove save...and i dont want him to stop the showy stuff, i like it..just hope its not at a loss to being in control.

I just wonder if what is keeping campbell from being an nhl starting goalie is his athleticism and his dependency on it. Maybe he moves too much.

I havent watched him enough to know the answer, just something im gonna watch for. He really has all the tools to be successful, being able to play the puck is a huge advantage to the team and he is incredible fast and athletic.

Did anyone post the video where reporters asked why he pats his teammates with his stick so much after saves/whistles?

Hes like i dont know, they always say good job to me... so its just me saying goood job back ahhhaha... all the reporters laugh with him.

Its classic.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Moore still helping the Leafs.

4C73587B-268D-43EE-B95C-2DD012CBA292.png

Kings 5 Panthers 4

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
I wish they’d play him more. We constantly hear about how overplayed and tired Freddy is and now they have a good backup, they don’t play him. If I was the coach, I’d give 30-40% of the starts to Campbell from here on out assuming his numbers remain the same and if he outplays freddy, make him the #1.

The more rested the leafs goalies are, the better. Freddy looked exhausted when playoffs rolled around and was mediocre in mostly all of his playoff games.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I wonder if the concern for upgrading the pick to a second rounder is the tie breaker when Keefe considers which goalie to start or whether to hook Freddy early??

Reactions: Keon1963

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I wish they’d play him more. We constantly hear about how overplayed and tired Freddy is and now they have a good backup, they don’t play him. If I was the coach, I’d give 30-40% of the starts to Campbell from here on out assuming his numbers remain the same and if he outplays freddy, make him the #1.

The more rested the leafs goalies are, the better. Freddy looked exhausted when playoffs rolled around and was mediocre in mostly all of his playoff games.
I expect they're trying to play Fred out of his terrible numbers. Rest hasn't seemed to help him

Reactions: smitty10

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
My question is does Jack Campbell get a video tribute? I'm assuming he will start that game.... I want to hear a Jeff Oneill rant on it if he does.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
Bored because there is no hockey. No one knows how the season will end but I feel Campbell will not get 6 regular season Wins, which will mean one of the conditions on the Conditional 2/3 round pick will not be met. I also feel that Toronto likely not sign Clifford as an UFA, which will not trigger the second condition. Clifford is currently making $1.6 M and will likely be looking for a raise as a UFA putting him out of Toronto's Cap capacity. I am a draft junkie and hope Toronto keeps the 2021 2nd round pick. It could be another Robertson potential player.

Reactions: TopCheese

horner

May 22, 2007
Bored because there is no hockey. No one knows how the season will end but I feel Campbell will not get 6 regular season Wins, which will mean one of the conditions on the Conditional 2/3 round pick will not be met. I also feel that Toronto likely not sign Clifford as an UFA, which will not trigger the second condition. Clifford is currently making $1.6 M and will likely be looking for a raise as a UFA putting him out of Toronto's Cap capacity. I am a draft junkie and hope Toronto keeps the 2021 2nd round pick. It could be another Robertson potential player.
The way I see it

Campbell is really good maybe even a 1b starter
It may allow us to not sign Anderson to a new contract

Maybe we pick up another solid partner for Campbell

Campbell for 3rd + 2nd
Clifford for Moore

It also allowed us to trade Hutchison for Rosen

So in we actually get

Campbell + Clifford + Rosen
For
Moore + Hutchinson + 2nd + 3rd

I would resign Clifford

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I wonder if the concern for upgrading the pick to a second rounder is the tie breaker when Keefe considers which goalie to start or whether to hook Freddy early??
No. Coaches do what they have to to win games. The difference in value between a late 2nd and late 3rd isn't that much anyways.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
The way I see it

Campbell is really good maybe even a 1b starter
It may allow us to not sign Anderson to a new contract

Maybe we pick up another solid partner for Campbell

Campbell for 3rd + 2nd
Clifford for Moore

It also allowed us to trade Hutchison for Rosen

So in we actually get

Campbell + Clifford + Rosen
For
Moore + Hutchinson + 2nd + 3rd

I would resign Clifford

I would like to resign Cliffy too. Hard for this team to allocate UFA dollars to a 4th liner though. Wonder if we could give him some term to bring the AAV down and then ask for a hometown discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad