Confirmed with Link: Toronto gets Campbell and Clifford for Moore, 2nd (cond) & 3rd (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Harder for a player to transition to a new system than a goalie.

Clifford will be fine as he gets more comfortable. Had a good possession shift in the 2nd last night, he will bring that more consistently. This is also a guy who will have everyone on our teams back if something happens, that is great for the room and morale, gives everyone a bit more toughness too imo.

Could use another more skilled banger for the 3rd line. Ideas have been tossed around, but I like Kap+ for Top 4 RHD (Manson) and Barrie for J.Anderson. I’d also look to acquire DeMelo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auston Escobar

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Harder for a player to transition to a new system than a goalie.

Clifford will be fine as he gets more comfortable. Had a good possession shift in the 2nd last night, he will bring that more consistently. This is also a guy who will have everyone on our teams back if something happens, that is great for the room and morale, gives everyone a bit more toughness too imo.

Could use another more skilled banger for the 3rd line. Ideas have been tossed around, but I like Kap for Top 4 RHD (Manson) and Barrie for J.Anderson. I’d also look to acquire DeMelo.
How about AJ, Timmer and Ceci for Manson? I think we will need Kappy's speed a few more times this year. What he brings we don't have with anyone else.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Campbell is a gem but Clifford has me a little worried. He's not as good as Matt Martin, and Matt Martin was miscast on this team 3 years ago when we weren't as talented. I watched a lot of Clifford in LA and really liked his game, but those Kings Stanley Cup winning teams were muuuuuuuuch different than the Leafs.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Campbell is a gem but Clifford has me a little worried. He's not as good as Matt Martin, and Matt Martin was miscast on this team 3 years ago when we weren't as talented. I watched a lot of Clifford in LA and really liked his game, but those Kings Stanley Cup winning teams were muuuuuuuuch different than the Leafs.
He has played fine in the three games (two dumb PIM's) and can see that the guys on the team play bigger (Kap) since the trade. He also lost his grandfather in the last 10 days so he has had a lot going on. i think his impact will be in the playoffs when we play a team like Boston and he helps keep them honest. Still think we need a D man with the same edge.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
He has played fine in the three games (two dumb PIM's) and can see that the guys on the team play bigger (Kap) since the trade. He also lost his grandfather in the last 10 days so he has had a lot going on. i think his impact will be in the playoffs when we play a team like Boston and he helps keep them honest. Still think we need a D man with the same edge.

if we can't find a RHD with term, Dillon would be a nice pick-up

Reactions: 29Potvin

horner

May 22, 2007
I think hes been great, I'm not scared at all when he been in so there's confidence. The best is that the goaltending question both starting and back up has been laid to rest until these contracts are up so on to the DEFENCE
Yes
Know we may have leverage when Anderson needs to be signed.
At least this yr and next we are good.
Now get some good defensive Dman.
Not Barrie or Ceci .

Reactions: Dragao6

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Campbell has put some pressure on Freddy to elevate his game. They won’t hesitate to go to Jack if they feel like Freddy is sucking the dirty pond water.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
it's directed to those who said we should have kept Martin :)

I don't honestly remember if I thought we should've kept him or not. I don't think I argued strongly one way or the other.

His cap hit was too high for sure, but, we brought that on ourselves, and we were moving in a much much more skilled direction at the time. He was good for what he provided while he was here, I think, but, we needed the cap space if I recall, though I don't remember much from last year, let alone 2 or 3 years ago!

I think him and Marner still have a bond, at least that's my impression.

So, yeah, I do like him for sure - I admit to that.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Giving up Moore for another over the hill vet was an atrocious move, shame on you Dubas.

Moore was a 3rd liner at best. We got a guy back who can play on the 3rd as well but will play on the 4th because of our depth. He also brings an element to this team we haven't had since Martin was here. We also got a damn good backup goalie too for the next 2 seasons. So I really hope you were being sarcastic with your comment because if not, then yikes.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't honestly remember if I thought we should've kept him or not. I don't think I argued strongly one way or the other.

His cap hit was too high for sure, but, we brought that on ourselves, and we were moving in a much much more skilled direction at the time. He was good for what he provided while he was here, I think, but, we needed the cap space if I recall, though I don't remember much from last year, let alone 2 or 3 years ago!

I think him and Marner still have a bond, at least that's my impression.

So, yeah, I do like him for sure - I admit to that.

I like him too, but at the time I believe it meant kap would sit out. Never liked the contract and dont blame management for moving him at all

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
I disagree. Hes been pretty stellar overall. Not every goal against has been a laserbeam but he fights for the puck and seems decent at hia rebound control. Very agile and quick etween the pipes. I love the way he protects against the wraparound too.

Then you throw in the way he is and who he is. Hes a great fit for the team. Best backup we've had in some time now. Hes motivated and hungry.

Might be a long term solution for his position

Also looks great at handling the puck, I saw only one game, but he was really quick out to the corners to coral it, then sharp passes.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
Suntouchable13 said:
Campbell has put some pressure on Freddy to elevate his game. They won’t hesitate to go to Jack if they feel like Freddy is sucking the dirty pond water.

What in the living hell is that expression? Lol

It is just more polite to say than other things you might assume he could be sucking.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It was a desperation trade to salvage the season, you can't put your normal trade analysis into any discussion. I mean, the 2nd is going to hurt like hell, but we had no choice under the circumstances and at least we got a capable backup. There is no "winning" this trade on the face of it, we did what we had to do to survive.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
It was a desperation trade to salvage the season, you can't put your normal trade analysis into any discussion. I mean, the 2nd is going to hurt like hell, but we had no choice under the circumstances and at least we got a capable backup. There is no "winning" this trade on the face of it, we did what we had to do to survive.

A backup goalie and a fourth line winger for spare parts is not a desperation trade. Desperation trades are when you sell something of high value and get low value in return for it.

Reactions: stickty111

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
A backup goalie and a fourth line winger for spare parts is not a desperation trade. Desperation trades are when you sell something of high value and get low value in return for it.
Lol, how anyone could say we weren't desperate is unreal. Your characterization is just a made up scenario. We desperately needed a backup goalie. Hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad