Confirmed with Link: Toronto gets Campbell and Clifford for Moore, 2nd (cond) & 3rd (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
I would like to resign Cliffy too. Hard for this team to allocate UFA dollars to a 4th liner though. Wonder if we could give him some term to bring the AAV down and then ask for a hometown discount.
You never know.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Leafs need to bring back Clifford next year. Since he's arrived we've seen the team play a tougher team game and individuals bring more physicality. Kapanen being the most obvious example, but Matthews has also brought a far more physical aspect to his game.

He is as essential to this team as a 4th liner can be.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Leafs need to bring back Clifford next year. Since he's arrived we've seen the team play a tougher team game and individuals bring more physicality. Kapanen being the most obvious example, but Matthews has also brought a far more physical aspect to his game.

Freddy will disagree...

horner

May 22, 2007

And can slide into the 3rd line if needed .
Also he will show korshkov the way and give him confidence that he has Clifford beside him.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
A wimpy lineup
A wimpy lineup
I imagine Johnsson and Kerfoot get moved so we have some cash for the defense.

Wouldn't mind seeing Spezza back, I would have my bottom two lines as this:

Korshkov-Engvall-Kapanen
Agostino-Spezza-Malgin

Korshkov and Agostino add some jam, and the other 4 guys use their speed and skill.

If you can get a guy like Thornton cheap as well it just adds to the depth.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Need to keep Clifford at all costs... Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Marner, Hyman, Mikheyev, Kapanen, Clifford are my must haves next season. The rest are assets that can be moved in hopes of finding something better or more consistent or moved in order to stay below the cap. I think Johnsson could have untapped skill and value but the man needs to stay healthy.

Reactions: horner

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
When we are fully healthy no way Malgin makes it anywhere into our lineup.

I don't think he makes into the lineup again whether we are healthy or not. I get playing him after the trade to see what we have, but we should be pretty clear that what we have is Petan v.2.0, and that we have Marlies that can do what he does, starting with Agostino.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I disagree. I see him ahead of 8 maybe 9 players youve listed.
Out if curiosity, who do you see him played ahead of? I can see arguments for the bottom six based on experience and intangibles but I don’t see how anyone could argue him as being better than Marner,Hyman,Tavares,Nylander,Matthews, or Mikheyev.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Resign Clifford? I hope we can resign Spezza. Epically good experiment. Clifford has gotten his shit pushed in in Toronto. I liked the acquisition at the time, and thought it was going to work really well, but it hasn't. Sorry.

Reactions: Ciao

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Out if curiosity, who do you see him played ahead of? I can see arguments for the bottom six based on experience and intangibles but I don’t see how anyone could argue him as being better than Marner,Hyman,Tavares,Nylander,Matthews, or Mikheyev.

What?

Do you have me mistaken for someone else?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Which 8 or 9? Clifford isn't better than any of the top 9, and he won't be as cheap as the 4th line and tweener guys. He's in a spot where we can't afford to pay him what he's worth for a 4th line role.
That list includes 25 forwards (kidding).

Ok. This is an exercise for you.

List all the players you mentioned.

He's better than the worst 9 players on that list. I am not saying he is better than Nylander.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I liked Clifford enough that id resign him. But think he may still price himself out

Interesting parameter of the Clifford trade is 3rd round pick becomes 2nd if Clifford resigns or Campbell wins 6 games AND Leafs make the playoffs.
If there is no playoffs assume it remains a 3rd.

I don't think Clifford is that valuable that I would give the 2nd round pick instead of 3rd if other parameters are triggered.
Ryan Reeves is a FA, Matt Martin, Gudas, Polak, Simmonds if we must.

Clifford hasn't impressed me much at all to date.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Resign Clifford? I hope we can resign Spezza. Epically good experiment. Clifford has gotten his shit pushed in in Toronto. I liked the acquisition at the time, and thought it was going to work really well, but it hasn't. Sorry.

And I would rather keep the draft choice at a third, vs a second in 2021, which we'd have to give up if we sign him (Campbell won't be reaching 6 wins this year given the current situation).

Reactions: Its not your fault

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Interesting parameter of the Clifford trade is 3rd round pick becomes 2nd if Clifford resigns or Campbell wins 6 games AND Leafs make the playoffs.
If there is no playoffs assume it remains a 3rd.

I don't think Clifford is that valuable that I would give the 2nd round pick instead of 3rd if other parameters are triggered.
Ryan Reeves is a FA, Matt Martin, Gudas, Polak, Simmonds if we must.

Clifford hasn't impressed me much at all to date.

I think with that in mind id just go shopping on July 1st for a similar depth guy

Reactions: The Iceman

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
My most memorable play by Clufford was when he was stripped from behind in the neutral zone that lead to a goal within the next 10 seconds.

I don't remember him doing anything when Fred Andersen gets run into or anything like that.

He's another guy and they already have plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad