Confirmed with Link: Toronto gets Campbell and Clifford for Moore, 2nd (cond) & 3rd (Part II)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Man it's going to be great having a player like Clifford in the lineup. It's been a while.

Reactions: Kurtz

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Dubas is more comfortable with the NHL now, he will figure this out. Yes, talent and speed are key, but, you need balance. This is a competitive game of men, many very talented teams have not won Cups. Fill in your weaknesses, balance it out, give the coach and the team confidence they can play any style against anyone.

I've always said, in the end, if your top players don't perform you won't win. Well, their top paid players have put up numbers, Matthews is a solid 2 way centre, Nylander is going to the dirty areas. Let's see this team filled in.

I still say, get a solid D man for at least a full year, re-sign Muzzin. If we can get another Hyman-like winger, a nice bonus for the stretch run.

Ultimately in the end though, without decent goaltender, you will lose. Everytime.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I was surprised to learn that he did not PK. We don't really need him to PK I guess, but I was just surprised.

That's probably the main difference between him and Martin. Martin was a disaster defensively or anything, but it certainly was not a strength either. Hits and fighting are the only thing Martin brought; Clifford can give a little bit more.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Ooo...who's the cutie on OverDrive? Rather her than Noodles frankly.

20200206_161728.jpg

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
@Gary Nylund

Re: "We definitely need picks, it's just that we needed a backup goalie and a guy like Clifford more IMO. We still have a lot of picks and most importantly, we still have our top prospects."

I agree. I acknowledged that in the 1st paragraph of my post as follows:

"Qty two 3rd rounders isn't that big of a deal. And, somehow we found ourselves in a corner without a reliable backup that we could count on. So we addressed an obvious and necessary need, so that's the good part of this, at least short term.

However, as I mentioned in the post, it wasn't just about "this trade" & the two 3rds that were lost. A lot depends on the definition of "lots of picks" I guess. But two 1sts, two 2nds & two 3rds is not exactly a small amount of picks (quantity or quality wise). That's a trend versus an one-off occurrence.

I think we'd need to be extremely lucky for us not to be impacted by this some time in the future. Other teams like Pittsburgh, L.A. and Chicago have found this out and were all impacted eventually. They eventually found out how difficult it was to maintain their high level of success without replenishing their prospect pools with good, low cost ELC talent.

The difference between those teams and us though is those teams had multiple Cup wins versus what we've accomplished. You'd expect them to run out of gas so-to-speak eventually. But, we haven't even really started.

It was also kind of ironic how we've reversed our stance on this subject in just a couple of years.

There's some nuance here, so hopefully this won't fall into the more simplistic bucket of "we needed to do it". I agree with that, but also think like most things, it will have (longer term) consequences.

Would have been easier if the previous thread wasn't closed, so sorry about that.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Like the trade but it will be a loss if we fail to make the playoffs and let Clifford walk for nothing along with Barrie and possibly Muzzin.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
@Gary Nylund

Re: "We definitely need picks, it's just that we needed a backup goalie and a guy like Clifford more IMO. We still have a lot of picks and most importantly, we still have our top prospects."

I agree. I acknowledged that in the 1st paragraph of my post as follows:

"Qty two 3rd rounders isn't that big of a deal. And, somehow we found ourselves in a corner without a reliable backup that we could count on. So we addressed an obvious and necessary need, so that's the good part of this, at least short term.

However, as I mentioned in the post, it wasn't just about "this trade" & the two 3rds that were lost. A lot depends on the definition of "lots of picks" I guess. But two 1sts, two 2nds & two 3rds is not exactly a small amount of picks (quantity or quality). That's a trend versus an one-off occurrence.

I think we'd need to be extremely lucky for us not to be impacted by this some time in the future. Other teams like Pittsburgh, L.A. and Chicago all have eventually and have found this out and found it difficult to maintain their high level of success without replenishing their prospect pools with good, low cost ELC talent. The difference between those teams and us though is those teams had multiple Cup wins versus what we've accomplished. You'd expect them to run out of gas so-to-speak eventually. But, we haven't even really started.

It was also kind of ironic how we've reversed our stance on this subject in just a couple of years.

There's some nuance here, so hopefully this won't fall into the more simplistic bucket of "we needed to do it". I agree with that, but also think like most things, it will have (longer term) consequences.

Would have been easier if the previous thread wasn't closed, so sorry about that.

As long as we start selling excess depth in the off-season it shouldn't be an issue. Johnsson and Kerfoot should return somewhere around a pair of 2nds each, Bracco could probably pull a 3rd. We"re also quite a bit better at mid-round drafting than most recent cup winners.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
As long as we start selling excess depth in the off-season it shouldn't be an issue. Johnsson and Kerfoot should return somewhere around a pair of 2nds each, Bracco could probably pull a 3rd.

Generally I agree with a lot of what you said.

We can get some picks back depending on what happens with trades. I'd prefer we have some 1st rounders of course.

Not sure I agree with the Bracco part, but that's not a big wup one way or another.

One thing we know (or should know) for sure is that we will always be tight against the cap. So, our next batch of existing players will be wanting pay increases on their next contracts. We may lose another good player or two as we have in the past. That's where the top flight ELCs come in real handy when this occurs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Its not your fault

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The timine for most 2nd and 3rd round picks (who actually make the NHL) is likely around D+4. This team is looking to be as competitive as possible while Marner snd Matthews are on their current contracts.

I sympathize with being wary of moving futures, but Dubas was smart to add the conditions to the picks (a common trend of his)

Reactions: Ciao and Leafsfan74

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This team needs to go on a big win streak if they wanna make the playoffs. The goaltending was horrendous on 2 must win games. Hopefully Dubas didn't wait too late to get a competent backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->