Confirmed with Link: Toronto gets Campbell and Clifford for Moore, 2nd (cond) & 3rd (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Clifford was a throw in for the mental aspect.

Campbell at least had someone, a former teammate, when he came here.

Dubas killed two birds with one stone by doing that and acquiring some “grit”.

I don’t care what Clifford does. Campbell is the main piece here and I already have much more faith in him than any other backup we’ve had since McElhinney

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
There are plenty of times when I agree with him initially, but then he makes 1000 follow-up posts with changing goalposts or definitions or whatever and nitpicks everything to death. It's a lousy way to make a point or win anyone over to your side.

Sometimes less is more. And some of his points are so trivial they're not worth the bother.

I generally respond to everyone that takes the time to respond to me. That does generate a lot of posts and sometimes results in a variety of tangents as I get into the nuances of each individual reply.

I’m not trying to win you over or win a popularity contest. Just give views to think about and of course not shy away from those that resort to personal pettiness. That style of interaction cannot be allowed to go unchecked.

If you find something that isn’t worth a bother, it’s likely because it was nuanced to the individual and the discussions we had.

For example, @Volcanologist was fond of challenging my view that coaching isn’t as important as talent, talent performing and health.

I have responded to him directly on that and noticed a post of his where he blamed the recent slump on injuries and poor play. He of course, didn’t respond.

Not trying to win anyone else over to acknowledging that talent and health have more of an impact than coaching. Just a thought seed for him specifically to think about.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I generally respond to everyone that takes the time to respond to me. That does generate a lot of posts and sometimes results in a variety of tangents as I get into the nuances of each individual reply.

I’m not trying to win you over or win a popularity contest. Just give views to think about and of course not shy away from those that resort to personal pettiness. That style of interaction cannot be allowed to go unchecked.

If you find something that isn’t worth a bother, it’s likely because it was nuanced to the individual and the discussions we had.

For example, @Volcanologist was fond of challenging my view that coaching isn’t as important as talent, talent performing and health.

I have responded to him directly on that and noticed a post of his where he blamed the recent slump on injuries and poor play. He of course, didn’t respond.

Not trying to win anyone else over to acknowledging that talent and health have more of an impact than coaching. Just a thought seed for him specifically to think about.

With regards to coaching, it really comes down to how important that is and how important that importance is.

If coaching has little impact then coaching changes aren't a big deal.

Why keep a coach the players don't like if the coach isn't important?

Firing Babcock isn't going to hurt the team.

Reactions: kb and SAMCRO44

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
With regards to coaching, it really comes down to how important that is and how important that importance is.

If coaching has little impact then coaching changes aren't a big deal.

Why keep a coach the players don't like if the coach isn't important?

Firing Babcock isn't going to hurt the team.

The data seems to highlight that teams go through slumps and win streaks. Coaches often get fired during a slump and their results after that firing generally come back to where they should have been if they didn’t fire.

Coaches get fired for lots of reasons. Peters’ reason was obvious. Other times, the fan base is hungry for a sacrifice.

But it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

We are 5-5-3 recently. That isn’t because Keefe sucks. He doesn’t. He’s doing the same things he did when they were on a win streak.

Or that any of the 16 assistants, analysts, performance and position Coaches that carried over from Babcock suddenly lost their way.

Rielly got hurt. Andersen had a few below average performances. As did other position players.

Health will return. The roster will be more skilled. Players will perform. And the W’s will return.

In the end though, it’s fine if one wants to argue that coaching matters. Maybe there is more to study on this.

But just be consistent.

If a Coach gets the credit for wins... then they have to wear the 5-5-3 stint as well.

Me? 5-5-3 is not on Keefe.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Here in is the exact issue that I am scared of and I suspect that Dubas and management is.

Toughness is extremely hard to quantifiy and risky to pay for.

Now, Clifford has only played two games so he gets more of a shot, but hes been entirely unimpressive through two games.

I thought Clifford was filling that role properly in the Anaheim game but he blended into the wallpaper in game two in Montreal.

Seems like when you want to make a qualitative change to the roster, you need to move multiple pieces out to get that change to register. For example, if we added a defensive center with size who can crash and bang to pair with Clifford, along with a guy like Manson for example on defense, the coach could suddenly roll out a Defensive Center/Clifford/Hyman crash and bang energy line backed up by a Muzzin and Manson on defense as a shock unit.

That would register much more clearly than throwing out one crash and bang player in isolation. Need more pieces to mix and match.

Reactions: Duffman955 and Smif

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Campbell has been good so far but we need Freddie back so that Hutch can be sent down and we see what our deal Tandem has got.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Like this?

Ok to quote save percentage as a variable in evaluating “excellent” after 5 games?

LOL. Okay dude. I literally said we have to see if that can hold up over a longer stretch and didn’t make an evaluation based on a 5 game sample.

Also did you just quote me from like 5 years ago?

definedMF

Apr 19, 2013
Big Yellow Joint
Honestly feel great with Campbell being a safety net and even pushing Andersen to be more consistent.

Possible we see a tandem develop next season with two solid options in net. Glad he's signed for two more years at low cost, giving us chance to develop Scott and Woll in the meanwhile.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Honestly feel great with Campbell being a safety net and even pushing Andersen to be more consistent.

Possible we see a tandem develop next season with two solid options in net. Glad he's signed for two more years at low cost, giving us chance to develop Scott and Woll in the meanwhile.
Not sure if you meant two years beyond this one, but hes only signed for one more season. Which is fine, hes a really cheap option that we needed.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Campbell is solid, he's got great fundamentals and positioning and always gives the team a chance on every play which is all they really need. Really happy with the pickup thus far, he looks like he has potential to even be a tandem goalie going forward. Best part is we've got him locked up for cheap in his physical peak.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Campbell is solid, he's got great fundamentals and positioning and always gives the team a chance on every play which is all they really need. Really happy with the pickup thus far, he looks like he has potential to even be a tandem goalie going forward. Best part is we've got him locked up for cheap in his physical peak.
Hes exactly what the scouting reports said he was. Decent size, really athletic and sound positionally. Hes a career .916 goalie and is now at a .918 after tonight since the trade. Hes a massive upgrade.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Reminds me of Riemer. Loveable guy, can win you some game with a questionable Defense, and terrible rebound control
Terrible rebound control is a stretch, it's not a strength of his but have definitely seen worse. His glove hand is also way better than Reimer's and his general fundamentals are much sharper. Reimer relies a lot on athleticism.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Terrible rebound control is a stretch, it's not a strength of his but have definitely seen worse. His glove hand is also way better than Reimer's and his general fundamentals are much sharper. Reimer relies a lot on athleticism.
The rebound control is probably the weakest part of his game but I agree that Reimer relied pretty heavily on his athleticism. He'd be diving and swimming because he lacked positional play. You can get away playing like that but you'd never teach someone to play like Hasek or Tim Thomas.

Reactions: 1specter

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I thought Clifford was filling that role properly in the Anaheim game but he blended into the wallpaper in game two in Montreal.

Seems like when you want to make a qualitative change to the roster, you need to move multiple pieces out to get that change to register. For example, if we added a defensive center with size who can crash and bang to pair with Clifford, along with a guy like Manson for example on defense, the coach could suddenly roll out a Defensive Center/Clifford/Hyman crash and bang energy line backed up by a Muzzin and Manson on defense as a shock unit.

That would register much more clearly than throwing out one crash and bang player in isolation. Need more pieces to mix and match.
Cannot agree more, they need a shutdown type C to have an effective checking or shutdown line. An another Dman to clear the front of the net.
I think Muzzin is more happy with someone like Clifford as he won’t be the only one doing the hitting any more.

Reactions: Eye Test
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad