Confirmed Trade: [TOR/STL] D Jordan Schmaltz for D Andreas Borgman

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Schmaltz sucks. He’s an “offensive defenseman” that doesn’t provide any offense in the NHL. Weak shot, bad defensively. Basically doesn’t provide anything and you have to shelter him. He’s an AHL’er. Maybe 7th d-man.

Not that I’m expecting Borgman to become anything either but just sayin.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I won't say we won the trade, i don't know enough about Schmaltz. When it comes to Cyborg...i really liked his early games....but he quickly flatlined and become quite meh...

Agreed. I remember thinking how amazing he looked in his first stint with the big club. Unfortunately that level of play didn't last long and he hasn't been impressive since. Best case scenario the guy is a bottom pairing d-man.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Well, I assume the Blues considers this AHL-er for AHL-er, and they get the cheaper one with a two-way contract. Toronto thinks Schmaltz is serviceable in the NHL, so they do it because they don't know how defencemen are supposed to look like.

Reactions: Johnny86

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Schmaltz sucks. He’s an “offensive defenseman” that doesn’t provide any offense in the NHL. Weak shot, bad defensively. Basically doesn’t provide anything and you have to shelter him. He’s an AHL’er. Maybe 7th d-man.

Not that I’m expecting Borgman to become anything either but just sayin.

So Justin Holl 2.0

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I remember years ago drafting Schmaltz in my fantasy pools and being extremely confident i got a steal lol... Crazy that he already turns 26 this year

Reactions: BlueOil

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Very meh deal but ultimately if you want a winner i'd give it to STL.

I'd say everyone is a winner here... the players get another chance with new organizations, Borgman goes to STL who need depth LHD, and Schmaltz goes to TML who need depth RHD. It really isn't much of an impact once all the bodies are healthy though... unless Borgman or Schmaltz improve to the point where they can become NHL regulars.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I won't say we won the trade, i don't know enough about Schmaltz. When it comes to Cyborg...i really liked his early games....but he quickly flatlined and become quite meh...
The same can be said for Schmaltz except he was sent back to the AHL where he flatlined and was buried in the texas desert

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So Justin Holl 2.0
We had to pay you back for the great Nikita Soshnikov somehow. ;)

One good thing I will say about Schmaltz is despite basically spending his entire career in the AHL and constantly getting called up and sent down, he has kept a good attitude about things. He always seemed to be a good guy and have a fun sense of humor in interviews.

Reactions: JamesFord

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Schwartz demanded this trade because he got tired of his phone blowing up whenever the Blues would send Schmaltz down to San Antonio or put him on waivers.

Reactions: biturbo19

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I definitely read that as Jaden Schwarz
Then I got confused and thought of Justin Schultz
Turns out I just don't know this guy

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Makes sense. Both good AHLers/borderline NHLers, similar age, both with injury problems. Borgman more physical, Schmaltz a better puck mover. Main thing here is that Leafs need more RD depth while the Blues need more LD depth. Sensible swap for both teams.

Schmaltz has a chance to make the Leafs - we’re stacked at LD (Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, Harpur, Sandin, etc.), which is why Borgman didn’t have shot, but at RD there’s a huge dropoff after Barrie and Ceci. I can see Schmaltz being a decent bandaid 6D until Liljegren is ready, assuming Babs wants to avoid playing lefties at RD.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kinda weird fringe defender swap, but inevitable that Schmaltz would want a "change of scenery" deal since he's seemed pretty blocked and unable to crack that Blues roster regularly. Stands a better chance of sticking with the Leafs as a RD. Maybe the new situation sparks a little bit and he can carve out a niche in a limited role there. Works for the Blues too i guess, in that they get a comparable guy who can fill out the edges of their depth chart and shuttle to and from the AHL without issue.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
This trade will have minimal impact for both teams but Borgman brings more to the table than Schmaltz on both ends of the ice. Don’t like it but not really a big deal.
What????
Borgman has gotten worse every year with the leafs. He is now barely good enough to play with the marlies.
I don’t know much about schmaltz but borgman is terrible.
Weird how many “casual observers” suddenly think borgman has something to offer hahaha.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
A fair haired Swede in San Antonio will probably spontaneously burst into flames during training camp. Still pretty toasty in September down there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad