Confirmed Trade: [TOR/STL] D Jordan Schmaltz for D Andreas Borgman

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Now it has come super weird that Leafs signed Teemu Kivihalme back then,
Kivihalme is way better d-man what most (all) of these trades/signings has brought to you. (minus Tyson Barrie and Cody Ceci)
you have Dermott injured, Kivihalme should play for the Leafs not in the AHL

I think Kivihalme is gonna surprise most of you Leafs fans with how good he is

Kivihalme > Harpur,Holl,Marincin,Schmaltz

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Sandin-Kivihalme
Schmaltz

With Dermott

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Barrie
Sandin-Ceci
Kivihalme

Sandin has a lot of potential I think they will let him gain experience with the marlies for the year tbh. All the extra dman is to make the last few spots competitive, which babs wants, plus extra dman options for call ups.

Reactions: BHD

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Bad move by leafs Borgman is better. Never got a chance last year after having pretty good first year in NHL.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Dermott is our #3 RD when healthy (yes he shoots left)

Harpur - Dermott

till then Harpur - Schmaltz
Harpur as the number 3 ld? Rather Khivenen? If ya gonna paly td Rd might as well put him 2rd and push cece to the bottom. Don't think harpur is pencil in yet, he was a throw in and now we're starting him

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
they traded borgman because he was putting up better numbers than liljegren in the ahl and that was embarrassing for them so they moved him.

you went from "knowing 6 leafs" to knowing a couple of minor league guys really quickly lol

a 23 year old should put up better numbers than a kid that could still play juniors.....

but also liljegren had 20pts in 56 total games Borgman had 19 in 58.....

Borgman is never gonna be anything more than a top 4 AHL D/ #7-8 NHL guy

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Bad move by leafs Borgman is better. Never got a chance last year after having pretty good first year in NHL.

probably because he was regularly the marlies 5th or 6th best dman

He was handily outplayed by guys like Holl, Rosen,Loverde,Liljegren,Marincin and Dermott the year he got sent down and that was reflected by him on the pine with those guys winning the calder

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This move buys Liljegren some time and prevents Holl from seeing regular minutes on the bottom pair. Decent lateral swap and Schmaltz will definitely get his chance in Toronto.

He's regressed since being demoted to the Marlies. Struggles to think the game fast enough even at the AHL level and his skating isn't good enough in transition so players just blow by him.

He's built like a Mack truck and will occasionally line somebody up, though. His upside at this point is probably a #7 tweener who can handle bottom pair minutes for short stretches, if paired with a competent partner.

This move has nothing to do with Holl not seeing bottom pair minutes that was never going to happen, Babcock won't play Holl he's proven that

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'd love if Dubas made an NHL move that targeted someone with grit. Everyone and their mothers can see this roster will be pushed around all over the ice. That's not going to be very entertaining. Entertainment is actually why people watch sports.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
I think harpur took borgmans spot in the press box, and once a while muscle. And we just needed a rhd for injuries. I think its a win/win trade, at a very insignificant level.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
St. Louis has a history of plucking undervalued Leafs and seeing them blossom afterwards (Steen + Gunnarsson).

I doubt Borgman has that kind of upside, but I do think he can at least be a journeyman NHL that fills in for injuries, with a chance to be a solid #5-6 guy. This will be a big season for him in seeing what kind of future he has.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
What????
Borgman has gotten worse every year with the leafs. He is now barely good enough to play with the marlies.
I don’t know much about schmaltz but borgman is terrible.
Weird how many “casual observers” suddenly think borgman has something to offer hahaha.
Literally the first sentence of my post is “this trade has minimal impact for both teams” Borgman isn’t gonna be anything more than a 7th D but he skates as well as Schmaltz, Shoots better, is more physical and a better defender. Schmaltz is a better passer and has more vision. Idk who this casual observer you’re talking about is.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Literally the first sentence of my post is “this trade has minimal impact for both teams” Borgman isn’t gonna be anything more than a 7th D but he skates as well as Schmaltz, Shoots better, is more physical and a better defender. Schmaltz is a better passer and has more vision. Idk who this casual observer you’re talking about is.

Schmaltz is a better skater than the Borg.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think Borgman has quite long way to climb to injury fill in spot.

Code:
Gunnar - Pietro
Jbo - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo
Edmundson

Mikkola - Reinke
Pouliot - Dotchin
Borgman - LaLeggia
Walman

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I'd love if Dubas made an NHL move that targeted someone with grit. Everyone and their mothers can see this roster will be pushed around all over the ice. That's not going to be very entertaining. Entertainment is actually why people watch sports.
The team is fluffy for sure, other then muzzin all his acquisitions have been on small or weak side p much.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The team is fluffy for sure, other then muzzin all his acquisitions have been on small or weak side p much.

Ceci is 6”2, Schmaltz is also 6”2. Not saying they hit everything they see but those are not small players.

Look both players have something to prove. If Ceci can regain his form and be a solid number 4 I will take that. Schmaltz has to prove he is at worst a 6. Kivihalme from all accounts was one of the best if not the best D man in the SHL playoffs last season. If he can step in for Dermott we are laughing. Not saying I wouldn’t want a Chara esq player or two but we went from a tire fire to a pretty solid D without having to give up what most consider our two best D prospects.

This is how I see the pairings
Reilly Barrie
Muzzin Ceci
Kivihalme Schmaltz
Holl

Reactions: teddygmr

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Ceci is 6”2, Schmaltz is also 6”2. Not saying they hit everything they see but those are not small players.

Look both players have something to prove. If Ceci can regain his form and be a solid number 4 I will take that. Schmaltz has to prove he is at worst a 6. Kivihalme from all accounts was one of the best if not the best D man in the SHL playoffs last season. If he can step in for Dermott we are laughing. Not saying I wouldn’t want a Chara esq player or two but we went from a tire fire to a pretty solid D without having to give up what most consider our two best D prospects.

Reilly Barrie
Muzzin Ceci
Kivihalme Schmaltz
Holl
If Schmaltz can use this trade as a shake up and live up to his potential shown when the Blues spent a 1st round pick on him then Toronto wins this deal in a landslide. Then again, if I win the lottery next week, I'll retire and buy and island. I think they both have about the same odds.

If you are looking for any type of physicality from Schmaltz, you'll be left feeling pretty empty. His ceiling is a 3rd pairing and his trajectory is probably a resident of the press box or a tweener for the AHL/NHL injury call-up. I just hope you aren't setting expectations too high on him as he will most likely disappoint. To me this was an AHL stocking move for both teams with the hopes that maybe a shakeup will help push them to an NHL roster full time. If not, no loss for either team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Reilly Barrie
Muzzin Ceci
Kivihalme Schmaltz
Holl
I'd say Schmaltz plays like a small player but that wouldn't be fair to small players. The guy wants to play non contact hockey. Him being 6'2" brings nothing to the table.

Reactions: 67Blues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->