Confirmed Trade: [TOR/STL] D Jordan Schmaltz for D Andreas Borgman

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Can any Blues fans provide a rundown of Jordan Schmaltz?

Is he good enough to play 10 minutes and not make us want to rip our hair out? Can he PK?

I’m predicting it now. If the kid regains his confidence, you got yourself a puck moving offensive defenseman. I always felt he was a Shattenkirk type but a quicker, better skater. Blues had too much depth on defense for the kid to get time to develop. His first 2 years in AHL were fine but the kid stagnated here and his spirit got broken. Hopefully Leafs will rejuvenate him.

Reactions: Kurtz

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Borgman has a nice package of skills. Good skater good stick nice physical play. Might be something still.

But schmaltz is schit, fellow leaf fans. He's worse than Holl.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Borgman has a nice package of skills. Good skater good stick nice physical play. Might be something still.

But schmaltz is schit, fellow leaf fans. He's worse than Holl.

Holl sucks, Borgman started alright and regressed like **** and now sucks

At least Schmaltz is new rubbish to add to the other bottom pair rubbish we've been collecting

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And yet, we have several Blues fans on this very page that think he might do well in Toronto. Borgman's "nice package of skills"? Come on.

Borgman' s got the tools - he's big he's tough he can skate can puckhandle he can shoot.

He just doesn't seem to think the game at a high enough level.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Borgman' s got the tools - he's big he's tough he can skate can puckhandle he can shoot.

He just doesn't seem to think the game at a high enough level.

I’ve always felt like Borgman was never going to get an opportunity here. Every time he’s been in the lineup he’s demonstrated his variety of tools, and I love the way he plays the body and jumps up in the rush, but perhaps it’s something upstairs that he’s lacking.

At any rate, I don’t really think this trade impacts the Leafs, at least not in a particularly meaningful way.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I’ve always felt like Borgman was never going to get an opportunity here. Every time he’s been in the lineup he’s demonstrated his variety of tools, and I love the way he plays the body and jumps up in the rush, but perhaps it’s something upstairs that he’s lacking.

At any rate, I don’t really think this trade impacts the Leafs, at least not in a particularly meaningful way.

Yep and yep.

Fun to watch, but just an AHL trade imo.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I’m predicting it now. If the kid regains his confidence, you got yourself a puck moving offensive defenseman. I always felt he was a Shattenkirk type but a quicker, better skater. Blues had too much depth on defense for the kid to get time to develop. His first 2 years in AHL were fine but the kid stagnated here and his spirit got broken. Hopefully Leafs will rejuvenate him.
This..is what I was hoping to hear! No doubt Kyle did his due dilligence,as opposed to just a righty for a lefty. I will miss the Borgmeisters hits though!

Reactions: Bluesguru

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Holl sucks, Borgman started alright and regressed like **** and now sucks

At least Schmaltz is new rubbish to add to the other bottom pair rubbish we've been collecting

upload_2019-7-25_21-55-41.jpeg

Reactions: Kiwi

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
Borgman could have requested a trade. Maybe he looked at all the depth D signed this summer and figured he didn't have much of a chance

Last edited by a moderator:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
LH Rielly 25 - RH Barrie 27
LH Muzzin 30 - RH Ceci 26
LH Dermott 23 -

LH Sandin 19 - RH Liljegren 20
LH Gravel 27 - RH Schmaltz 26
LH Marincin 27 - RH Holl 27
LH Harpur 24 - RH Duszak 22
LH Kivihelme 24 - RH Lindgren 22
-------------------------- RH Holowell 21

Pick 2 out of the bottom group to be the Leafs' #6 and #7 (I hope it's Lilly as #6 myself), and the other 9 rotate in the marlies D.

Nice balance between L/R all the way down now.

Reactions: Eb

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
This is why this deal was made from Toronto's POV

Gravel Schmaltz is a ok third pair I guess, at least till Dermott comes back.

I feel like Holl was a guy Babs said he didnt have faith in, and instead of having him sit 75 games again they chose to bring a guy in who Babs can choose if he likes or not.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Now it has come super weird that Leafs signed Teemu Kivihalme back then,
Kivihalme is way better d-man what most (all) of these trades/signings has brought to you. (minus Tyson Barrie and Cody Ceci)
you have Dermott injured, Kivihalme should play for the Leafs not in the AHL

I think Kivihalme is gonna surprise most of you Leafs fans with how good he is

Kivihalme > Harpur,Holl,Marincin,Schmaltz

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Sandin-Kivihalme
Schmaltz

With Dermott

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Barrie
Sandin-Ceci
Kivihalme

Reactions: teddygmr

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I can't speak about Borgman, but Schmaltz has been stuck behind two very good dmen and never provided the physicality that Bortuzzo (who was resigned for 3 years last season) did to the bottom pairing. I thought he deserve more of a chance in St. Louis and hope he gets playing time in Toronto. He may have bottom pairing d potential at this point. Solid puck mover, but doesn't love to be hit. Very good AHL dman.

After he got sent down last year, he fizzled. I think a fresh start will do him wonders.

Schmaltz isn't even as good offensively as Bortuzzo. I wouldn't expect him to every do wonders in the NHL but maybe he'll finally put it together to be a regular healthy scratch in the NHL someday. Perhaps the most "meh" player the Blues have had in recent years.

Reactions: Blueston

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Let’s be honest here in that Borgman was likely never gonna play for the TML. Schmaltz is another big, RHD who needed a fresh start. Does he have what it takes to be in the NHL? Time will tell but this is a solid more for both teams IMO.

Reactions: JamesFord

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Barrie, Ceci and Liljergren on right side. Eh, can't see him playing right side if there isn't injuries and I can't remember Schmaltz has played his offside (left side) so that wouldn't be ideal with him.

Depth signing and fill in if somebody gets injured on right side.

Decent for Leafs. I don't believe Borgman can crack in Blues left side, only if someones will regress.

Code:
Gunnar - Pietro
Jbo - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo
Edmundson

Mikkola - Reinke
Pouliot - Dotchin
Borgman - LaLeggia
Walman

Jeesus our d-depth is deeeeeeeeeeep, I still believe Walman can turn his direction so he might be dark horse for coming season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->