Confirmed Trade: [TOR/STL] D Jordan Schmaltz for D Andreas Borgman

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I can't speak about Borgman, but Schmaltz has been stuck behind two very good dmen and never provided the physicality that Bortuzzo (who was resigned for 3 years last season) did to the bottom pairing. I thought he deserve more of a chance in St. Louis and hope he gets playing time in Toronto. He may have bottom pairing d potential at this point. Solid puck mover, but doesn't love to be hit. Very good AHL dman.

After he got sent down last year, he fizzled. I think a fresh start will do him wonders.

At this point it seems it is basically a 7th d for 7th d trade. This helps Toronto with their RH side a miniscule amount while doing the same for STLs LH side I guess.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I won't say we won the trade, i don't know enough about Schmaltz. When it comes to Cyborg...i really liked his early games....but he quickly flatlined and become quite meh...

Reactions: Ciao

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Those are guys alright.

I liked Borgman. He came over from Sweden and looked great early on but being sent down to the Marlies seemed to shake his confidence and then he was further hampered by injuries. Hope he can climb back up.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
At this point it seems it is basically a 7th d for 7th d trade. This helps Toronto with their RH side a miniscule amount while doing the same for STLs LH side I guess.

And the Leafs will probably waive Holl and have Schmaltz take his spot and actually play

Reactions: teddygmr

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Borgman has 1 more year exempt from waivers so it helps STL that way. TOR gets a 7th rhd who can MAYBE be a #6 RHD.

Reactions: Community

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I really liked Borgman's NHL body of work. He hasn't been as good in the AHL but has had some injuries, I won't be surprised if he turns into a solid bottom pairing dman. He's an underrated puck carrier and often skates it out of his own zone, will absolutely demolish someone every 5-10 games

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Can any Blues fans provide a rundown of Jordan Schmaltz?

Is he good enough to play 10 minutes and not make us want to rip our hair out? Can he PK?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Oh, no. Not Toronto again.

Hfboards going down in 3... 2.... 1....

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Borgman when he first played in the NHL looked good. Decent puck skills, good underlying stats, and brought legit value to the 3rd pair against very weak comp.

After he got sent down, he's had about 3 concussions and a couple other injuries and he hasn't looked effective in the AHL for a year.

Maybe there's something there, maybe not, but because he's a lefty that only plays the left side, he was never going to get another shot with us.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Never can have enough Defensive depth. Toronto needed RHD depth and they got it.

St Louis gets a waiver eligible LHD with some potential.

Seems like a good move for both sides.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
this deal keeps Marincin on the bench, as he was likely slated to start as the 3rd pair RHD :(

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
This trade will have minimal impact for both teams but Borgman brings more to the table than Schmaltz on both ends of the ice. Don’t like it but not really a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad