Confirmed Trade: [TOR/STL] D Jordan Schmaltz for D Andreas Borgman

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Borgs plays physical and has a hard shot. That’s about the extent of his ability. Really failed to make any improvements since first joining the Leafs. Went from 7-8 NHL dman to 4-5 AHL dman.

A nothing trade, maybe we’ll see Schmaltz be a 6D while Dermott is injured.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I like it from the Leafs standpoint. Borgman can skate and is pretty strong physically, but it seems like his mind for the game is awful. It would be nice to see him turn things around for the Blues though

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
We needed a 6 rd to give liljegren another half season to develop. Borgman isn’t a part of our future and would just take development space up.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Yeah this guy is gonna play on our bottom pair...We really didnt have anyone to play in our #6 spot on the right side. All we had is Holl and Liljegren and they dont want to rush Lilj. Now it will be a battle between Holl and Schmaltz for that job. I really dont think Gravel or Harpur will be played on their off side.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
So a couple of our free euro pick ups used in deals that will hopefully garner some NHL players. Might as well try

I remember the day we got Borggmann and Rosen. Left pondering which one was higher on the depth chart and snag a spot first.... guess that answer is neither.

Reactions: teddygmr

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Really good move for Toronto. I think we may see them out the first round this time

For real this time.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Yeah this guy is gonna play on our bottom pair...We really didnt have anyone to play in our #6 spot on the right side. All we had is Holl and Liljegren and they dont want to rush Lilj. Now it will be a battle between Holl and Schmaltz for that job. I really dont think Gravel or Harpur will be played on their off side.

Dermott is our #3 RD when healthy (yes he shoots left)

Harpur - Dermott

till then Harpur - Schmaltz

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't always agree with everything Dubas does but I have to say in the last 6 months he has really added some serious depth to that defense.

It started with Muzzin, and I said at the time that wasn't enough, and it wasn't. But i have to say in the last 3 weeks he's really made up for that with Barrie, Ceci , Harpur , Schmaltz Garvel there has been some serious depth added to the defense .

I would still like to see another guy or 2 added, like a Ben Hutton or Dan Girardi because I'm not sure Schmaltz, Harpur or Garvel can take that #6 spot but there is no denying the defense is VASTLY improved.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
This move buys Liljegren some time and prevents Holl from seeing regular minutes on the bottom pair. Decent lateral swap and Schmaltz will definitely get his chance in Toronto.

Borgs plays physical and has a hard shot. That’s about the extent of his ability. Really failed to make any improvements since first joining the Leafs. Went from 7-8 NHL dman to 4-5 AHL dman.

A nothing trade, maybe we’ll see Schmaltz be a 6D while Dermott is injured.
He's regressed since being demoted to the Marlies. Struggles to think the game fast enough even at the AHL level and his skating isn't good enough in transition so players just blow by him.

He's built like a Mack truck and will occasionally line somebody up, though. His upside at this point is probably a #7 tweener who can handle bottom pair minutes for short stretches, if paired with a competent partner.

Reactions: Blueboy

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Dermott is our #3 RD when healthy (yes he shoots left)

Harpur - Dermott

till then Harpur - Schmaltz
i know Dermott can play the right side well but i still think Babcock prefers him on the left if given the option. I get that Harpur kills penalties but he is pretty damn bad if we are being honest. If Schmaltz comes out of camp moving the puck well he should get the spot. Liljegren will be there next year anyways so we have to rely on guys like Rielly, Dermott to start learning to PK now.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I don't always agree with everything Dubas does but I have to say in the last 6 months he has really added some serious depth to that defense.

It started with Muzzin, and I said at the time that wasn't enough, and it wasn't. But i have to say in the last 3 weeks he's really made up for that with Barrie, Ceci , Harpur , Schmaltz Garvel there has been some serious depth added to the defense .

I would still like to see another guy or 2 added, like a Ben Hutton or Dan Girardi because I'm not sure Schmaltz, Harpur or Garvel can take that #6 spot but there is no denying the defense is VASTLY improved.

Bang on. I was 100% there with you last year. I thought they needed to add a rental dman to make a proper run. If they could add Hutton this year, that would actually be a solid defense. Especially behind that group of forwards, and with Andersen to bail them out when needed.

Even if Schmaltz doesn’t take the number 6 role, he still pushes Marincin down a spot

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Bang on. I was 100% there with you last year. I thought they needed to add a rental dman to make a proper run. If they could add Hutton this year, that would actually be a solid defense. Especially behind that group of forwards, and with Andersen to bail them out when needed

I wonder if Hutton signs a PTO with anyone this year.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
i know Dermott can play the right side well but i still think Babcock prefers him on the left if given the option. I get that Harpur kills penalties but he is pretty damn bad if we are being honest. If Schmaltz comes out of camp moving the puck well he should get the spot. Liljegren will be there next year anyways so we have to rely on guys like Rielly, Dermott to start learning to PK now.
Harpur brings an element we are lacking, and that is size & physicality. He will be given every opportunity to stay in the lineup imo.

Reactions: DougGilmour93

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Can any Blues fans provide a rundown of Jordan Schmaltz?

Is he good enough to play 10 minutes and not make us want to rip our hair out? Can he PK?
For the last 4 years he has been unable to steal the #3 RD spot from Robert Bortuzzo. Never even close to doing so. Pretty much all you need to know.

Reactions: Blueboy and BlueOil

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
For the last 4 years he has been unable to steal the #3 RD spot from Robert Bortuzzo. Never even close to doing so. Pretty much all you need to know.
yet Bortuzzo was very effective for the Blues in the Playoffs. NOT to the level of Pietrangelo or Parayko but physical very solid 3rd pair dman….so just because Schmaltz couldn't beat him out doesn't mean he is not now ready to perform in the NHL.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

Bortuzzo is a physical presence which the Blues needed. I’m still not convinced the kid is a bust. The Leafs are the perfect team for this kid and I’m sure they’ll give him a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad