Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Show me a defenseman who isn't a product of their forwards...Bobby Orr? Erik Karlsson? Look at Neal Pionk, he basically keeps the puck warm on Winnipeg's PP and has 25 pts just from that. Carlson basically exists the feed the puck to the GOAT goal-scorer.

I was reading his prospect reports last week and came across the Dan Boyle comparison. People should remember: DeAngelo was supposed to be amazing offensively, it was all that other bullshit that was a knock on him.
Remember reading those a few years back and was surprised there wasn't even chatter about his defensive game, literally the only thing that was listed as a negative was the off ice issues.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Remember reading those a few years back and was surprised there wasn't even chatter about his defensive game, literally the only thing that was listed as a negative was the off ice issues.
It’s funny that his biggest flaw is now one of the heavy driving factors behind how much of an edge/swagger this team plays with and how relentless we are. And is now the Stepan replacement as our charismatic funny lockerroom guy

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Off ice issues and size, but yeah he was wildly viewed as the best OFD in that draft class.

Scouts nailed that. Would anybody take Ekblad over him right now?

It’s funny that his biggest flaw is now one of the heavy driving factors behind how much of an edge/swagger this team plays with and how relentless we are. And is now the Stepan replacement as our charismatic funny lockerroom guy

I've gone on the record many times saying the only thing that would've made me hesitate to take him 1OA (if trading down wasn't an option) was his early birthday.

Of course I'd look silly with the way Draisaitl turned out (Pastrnak came out of "nowhere"), but he does have a decent case for being the 3rd best player in the draft (in competition with Ekblad, Nylander, Ehlers and Larkin). Took him a while to get there though, I'd probably have been fired well before that.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
So if the season is done, DeAngelo will have officially finished 4th overall in defensemen scoring (while playing under 20:00/GP)

$$$

giphy.gif

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Deserves it totally. Kid put up a beast year and helped bread and ziba put up two of the best offensive seasons this team has ever seen.

Lock him up

He'll get traded if he asks for too much money or proves too difficult to negotiate a reasonable contract with...

If he can't shift over to the left side effectively then it makes it even more likely that they'll trade him to bolster our young forward depth...

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He'll get traded if he asks for too much money or proves too difficult to negotiate a reasonable contract with...

If he can't shift over to the left side effectively then it makes it even more likely that they'll trade him to bolster our young forward depth...

Because Nils is having a good year in Sweden?

Can we let him sign and prove himself over seas first?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

I doubt that and it would be a mistake. Stats aside, he’s a big part of the team’s new identity and the reason they ended up exceeding expectations this year.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

If we take less than a Tkachuk brother or a VERY studly 80+ point projected under 25 year old forward, it's a bad deal ...

60ish point 25 year old rd return A LOT .....

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Because Nils is having a good year in Sweden?

Can we let him sign and prove himself over seas first?
The amount of people that are willing to trade a 24 year old defenseman who is doing something not seen around here in 25’years or so due to a kid that is skating in Sweden is astounding.

People scream our “trade him “ bit when asked what a return looks like, grow silent. Aside from a tiny contingent that believe that Gorton should trade DeAngelo for a draft pick.

Reactions: Barnaby

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It is crazy to think that that a majority of the players on the Rangers including ADA have an extra level (or two or three!) of development left in them, including two of the goalies...

With that said, this Rangers team is currently top 10 in the league in ROWs, its scary to think about what the ceiling is for this club moving forward.

so long as a team like the Devils doesn’t have the luck of the Penguins (winning lotteries and drafting generational talent), I think the Rangers are in good shape.

I do think this Flyers team is going to be a problem though.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The amount of people that are willing to trade a 24 year old defenseman who is doing something not seen around here in 25’years or so due to a kid that is skating in Sweden is astounding.

People scream our “trade him “ bit when asked what a return looks like, grow silent. Aside from a tiny contingent that believe that Gorton should trade DeAngelo for a draft pick.

The only trade I would be happy with, is one where we get a similar player in a different position, in return. Either LHD or center. That would be a trade to address a need.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The only trade I would be happy with, is one where we get a similar player in a different position, in return. Either LHD or center. That would be a trade to address a need.
That is how I see it. IF there MUST be a deal, the return must be a similarly aged and trajectoried player, likely LD. I gave my views on who I wold ask for. No way could you move him for simply a draft pick.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That is how I see it. IF there MUST be a deal, the return must be a similarly aged and trajectoried player, likely LD. I gave my views on who I wold ask for. No way could you move him for simply a draft pick.

Werenski
Provorov
Hintz
Konecny
Barzal
Connor
Tkachuk
Theodore
Boeser
Heiskanen

That's the type of player you target in a 1-for-1 trade for DeAngelo. I am not saying these will definitely be available, but a 1-for-1 trade is one that has to "hurt" for both teams, while addressing a need

Reactions: Leetch3

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Werenski
Provorov
Hintz
Konecny
Barzal
Connor
Tkachuk
Theodore
Boeser
Heiskanen

That's the type of player you target in a 1-for-1 trade for DeAngelo. I am not saying these will definitely be available, but a 1-for-1 trade is one that has to "hurt" for both teams, while addressing a need
Absolutely. The get for DeAngelo should be enough to make the fanbase wince. I brought up Theodore, Werenski & Connor before. More of an emphasis on the first two.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I never bought into the “off ice problems.” He did a few immature things, but he’s never been out starting bar fights or getting DWI’s.

He has a swagger that fits very well on this club and is something we need more of - not less.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I never bought into the “off ice problems.” He did a few immature things, but he’s never been out starting bar fights or getting DWI’s.

He has a swagger that fits very well on this club and is something we need more of - not less.
It’s hilarious what can earn you problem character status in the NHL compared to other leagues. :laugh:
But completely agree and you just know with his swagger he’s going to be a playoff performer, he thrives off intensity.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I don’t want to trade him personally but the reason some people do is way more because of Fox than Nils, and also due to the cap and the team having big holes in other positions while sitting on 3 very good players at his position.

Reactions: RagFinMet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad