Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s not, really. Raised in Sweden, dad’s Iranian, mom’s Finnish and DeAngelo’s stance on foreign affairs policy doesn’t make him xenophobic or indicate in the remotely slightest margin that there would be any kind of strife between him and Mika. People are entitled to their own political, sociological, theological, etc. opinions whether those opinions are enlightened or otherwise.
Sorry, but he's really not entitled to it.

He represents a fanbase that has every possible ideology in it and he represents teammates who have a vested interest in this. I don't care if it's xenophobic or not, Mika still has family there and it's a personal issue for many people.

His Twitter account is not a personal/private account for his friends and family. It's a public, verified account that directly represents the NHL and the New York Rangers. He's a professional and he's not entitled to give his personal opinions in a professional capacity.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Sorry, but he's really not entitled to it.

He represents a fanbase that has every possible ideology in it and he represents teammates who have a vested interest in this. I don't care if it's xenophobic or not, Mika still has family there and it's a personal issue for many people.

His Twitter account is not a personal/private account for his friends and family. It's a public, verified account that directly represents the NHL and the New York Rangers. He's a professional and he's not entitled to give his personal opinions in a professional capacity.

I completely disagree. Verified or otherwise, people follow celebrities accounts knowing full well they are personal accounts. In fact, the entire reason people follow a celebrity’s verified account and not the myriad fan pages and pretenders is because they want the “raw” or uncensored peak into that individual’s life. He is every bit as entitled to his individual opinions as we are. As somebody who spent 10 years in the military with four deployments, three to combat zones, I often whole heartedly disagree with the opinions of people like ADA but I also am poignantly aware of the fact that I was there to defend his right to have those opinions, not to defend a culture which wishes to drown out and silence anyone with a dissenting or misinformed point of view. Irregardless of any differences between Tony’s political leanings and mine, his ability to express his opinion is actually what this country is founded upon, and the reason people follow individual celebrities is, almost absolutely, to see their personality and be a voyeur to their personal life. We really need to separate politics from our fandom around here.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I completely disagree. Verified or otherwise, people follow celebrities accounts knowing full well they are personal accounts. In fact, the entire reason people follow a celebrity’s verified account and not the myriad fan pages and pretenders is because they want the “raw” or uncensored peak into that individual’s life. He is every bit as entitled to his individual opinions as we are. As somebody who spent 10 years in the military with four deployments, three to combat zones, I often whole heartedly disagree with the opinions of people like ADA but I also am poignantly aware of the fact that I was there to defend his right to have those opinions, not to defend a culture which wishes to drown out and silence anyone with a dissenting or misinformed point of view. Irregardless of any differences between Tony’s political leanings and mine, his ability to express his opinion is actually what this country is founded upon, and the reason people follow individual celebrities is, almost absolutely, to see their personality and be a voyeur to their personal life. We really need to separate politics from our fandom around here.
The first amendment was founded on the basis that the government cannot infringe on an individual's opinion.

There is absolutely no cultural principle or legal principle protecting you in a context in which you represent your job.

Unlike many other celebrities, he is not individually contacted and is an ongoing employee of the New York Rangers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
92759958_2675788555966311_5047791062018424832_n.jpg

The next captain of this team is Iranian, so there's that.

It's becoming harder to just ignore these things.

Zibanejad's dad escaped Iran during the 1979 revolution, fearing for his life. If there's one family who is against the current regime in Iran, it's Zibanejad's family.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

I understand why you're making that point, and to me it has some validity, but the first amendment grants the right to say stupid things without the government interfering. It says nothing about personal and professional obligations especially where you represent an organization.

Theres typically no right answer to politics in general and thats fine. But if you're publically speaking, and you represent an organization, then you should likely be as "unoffensive" as possible.

I understand that fans want that glimpse into a players life, but thats not our right as fans/people, thats a fiction of the social media era and one i really don't like with ADA as a prime example. He would probably be my favorite player for the passion he shows on the ice, but knowing what I know of his personal/political beliefs it makes it difficult to truly enjoy him on my team.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Zibanejad's dad escaped Iran during the 1979 revolution, fearing for his life. If there's one family who is against the current regime in Iran, it's Zibanejad's family.
That doesn't change the fact that people are dying there now and US policy may be worsening that.

It's a complicated issue and that's why some things are better left in private.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Iran has got one of the most easily hated regimes in the world, but that shouldn't be extended to its people.

ADA is free to say and think whatever he wants, but I wish he would use more tact when he starts crossing over into political and ideological territory.
Iran's "regime" has committed a lot less war crimes in the last 50 or so years than the "regime" of this country.

That doesn't change the fact that people are dying there now and US policy may be worsening that.

It's a complicated issue and that's why some things are better left in private.
US sanctions are acts of war and terror and are thoroughly documented to have led to huge decreases in life expectancy and difficulties in obtaining medical supplies

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Iran's "regime" has committed a lot less war crimes in the last 50 or so years than the "regime" of this country.

US sanctions are acts of war and terror and are thoroughly documented to have led to huge decreases in life expectancy and difficulties in obtaining medical supplies
I was trying to not go here because I just don't have the capacity anymore, but yes, all of this. Thank you.

Reactions: Hire Sather

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
good to know our freedom of speech somehow made it to a country most Americans couldn’t find on a maps. thanks hero

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Regardless of what you think of his views or his tweets, I do wonder if it has any impact in what the Rangers decide to do with him going forward. That tweet he followed up with about freedom of speech and everyone being entitled to their opinions reeked of "f***, John Rosasco saw I'm causing trouble on Twitter again and I need to clean it up somehow."

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Regardless of what you think of his views or his tweets, I do wonder if it has any impact in what the Rangers decide to do with him going forward. That tweet he followed up with about freedom of speech and everyone being entitled to their opinions reeked of "f***, John Rosasco saw I'm causing trouble on Twitter again and I need to clean it up somehow."

it has zero impact on his future with the rangers...all indication is that everyone on the team including quinn loves him. they will judge him based on who he actually is, not how 'woke' people that overreact to his trolling tweets want them to

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Agreed.

Is that somehow an excuse for xenophobic policies and quietly state-funding terrorism?

And I don't know why you're putting regime in quotation marks, the definition is literally "an authoritarian government." I think a government with a "supreme leader", who tells you what religious beliefs you should have, fits very well into that category.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I understand why you're making that point, and to me it has some validity, but the first amendment grants the right to say stupid things without the government interfering. It says nothing about personal and professional obligations especially where you represent an organization.

Theres typically no right answer to politics in general and thats fine. But if you're publically speaking, and you represent an organization, then you should likely be as "unoffensive" as possible.

I understand that fans want that glimpse into a players life, but thats not our right as fans/people, thats a fiction of the social media era and one i really don't like with ADA as a prime example. He would probably be my favorite player for the passion he shows on the ice, but knowing what I know of his personal/political beliefs it makes it difficult to truly enjoy him on my team.

Well it’s actually exactly the same in the military. We are employed by the United States military. We represent them (“on or off duty”, as we’re frequently reminded). However, we are still allowed to express our opinions on social media with the explicit caveat being that we cannot express them as being representative of the belief or opinion of the USAF. They must be presented as our own, individual opinion. As in that of Mr. X, rather than USAF TSgt X. Similarly, we can attend political rallies and such, but not in uniform. I would imagine that, unless his contract explicitly states that he must “stick to the party line”, his individual social media is viewed as just that. If his handle were @NYR_DeAngelo77 perhaps that would be different, but since he makes no mention of, nor claims to be representing the NYR, I am almost positive it is treated identically to our policy in the military. I imagine the UCMJ is actually more comprehensive regarding our behavior in and out of uniform and our freedom to express our political beliefs (due to the ramifications of US servicemen publicly speaking against the current POTUS, etc.) than that of the contract of an NHL player, so like it or not, he’s entitled to express himself however he sees fit.

As I alluded to, I often disagree with posters like ADA himself. I served 10 years under two drastically different presidents from two opposite ends of the political spectrum. While I wasn’t allowed to let my personal feelings impact my professional demeanor in any way and was prohibited from expressing my beliefs in uniform, as a representative of my branch of service, I was still allowed to express myself in accordance with my beliefs as an individual.

Look, I honestly have no horse in the race regarding the right or wrong of his individual tweets. I simply think we need to stop intermingling the personal or political beliefs of celebrities with our fandom. If a guy is accused of rape or a violent crime, sure I can see how that would make it difficult for you to support them as a fan of their team. If a guy holds a different political view than you, that IS his right and that’s not a reason to dislike him, *as it relates to your hockey team*. No ones asking you to have a beer with him (and he’s certainly not inviting you, although I would wager half of you would swallow your opinion for the opportunity to share one). Our right to differing opinions is one of the things we’re supposed to be proud of in this country, but we seem to have forgotten that.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

Not going to deny U.S. imperialism but Iran is evil personified. They have funded and supplied proxy-state warfare for decades, specifically against Sunni nations and Israel. Not a single declaration of war or mass mobilization of their military because they know it would result in a global coalition against them and they would get slaughtered. So they train and fund small and large-scale operations of all kinds against civilian and military targets. IRGC and Kuds Force buy arms from China; openly supported JAM's murderous rampage against Sunnis in Iraq. Horrible stuff -- kidnappings, poisoning water supplies, mass executions, mass graves, women, children. And that was in Iraq in 2006 and 2007!!! They did the same in Aleppo in Syria. Also fund Hezbollah and their round-the-clock rocket attacks on Israel and funded the Taliban's brutal campaign against their own people in the 1980s and 1990s.

I don't like what DeAngelo did and he needs to mature, but feeling sorry for a murderous regime that subjugates its own people (specifically women and LGBT) while concurrently planning, funding, equipping, and executing terror attacks for the last 40 years on civilian targets throughout the entire Middle East is definitely an odd take.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Assuming Strome is a 70 point player for the long-term, he's fine for now. I'm not sure that's a safe assumption personally. Even assuming it is, this will be his last RFA deal. IMO it's a no brainier to bite the UFA contract bullet for Mika when the time comes, but doing it for Strome as well is going to be very difficult with the rest of the roster. IMO upgrading the center position wouldn't be about getting necessarily a much better center than Strome as much as getting a center with potential to still develop into a better player than Strome is and years of cap flexibility. Having that kind of center plus Chytil gives a lot of options up and down the lineup.

My universe for moving Tony is LD or C, I don't think moving him for a RW makes much sense personally. I don't want to move him much at all and I'd require a hefty return: C wise I'd look for guys like Dach or Necas. LD, guys like Werenski or Heiskanen as a long-shot.
I am not sure what Strome can or cannot be, I can however look at a correlation of Nylander and Jagr. I also believe that Strome is not looking to hit the UFA market. I think that he has found himself a home here. What does that look like? Probably a deal of 2-4 years at $5m per. Being able to deploy Kreider and ZBad on a different line makes that look like smart money. But what that probably means is that Buchnevich is not long for the team. We all believe that chances are the window begins to creak open next year. I am willing to roll the dice on Strome centering Panarin for at least a few years.

I do not think that DeAngelo gets moved for a prospect. That includes Dach & Necas. If you move him, you are moving him for a forward like Connor. Someone that is young and is already producing. Or a Werenski or Theodore from the D. Not sure that should be thought of as such a long shot. When you have a 24 year old, 60 point defenseman, that is the type of 1 for 1 player you should be looking at in a deal.

Reactions: haveandare

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Am i the only one who is surprised that a 24 year old actually knows anything about the current state of Iran and its relationship with the United States and the rest of the world? Most 24 year olds couldn't tell you a single thing about Iran, nor where it is located on a map of the world. Good for him for having some knowledge about this situation and our relationship with a hostile nation.

Assuming he does understand the dynamic of the worlds relationship with Iran, what the country's regime stands for ( sponsors of terrorism ) and what they would ultimately like to do to much of the western world, i don't half blame him for his comment. I will also conclude that his comment of "LOL" was more so aimed at the current Iranian regime and giving money to them in order to fight Covi-19........like the money given to them would actually be used to help their people. For me, that's the first thing that came to mind when i read the "LOL" and the article he was aiming his comment at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->