Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The PP finally is a thing of beauty after so many years of watching McDonagh struggle with the puck ....Tony could play the PP blindfolded he has that much confidence in his skating and puckhandling skills and his passes are on the tape and firm . Nail him down long term ..guys like him and Fox should be fixtures here for at least 8 more seasons .
I love watching him on the blueline dance while holding the puck until their forward who’s covering him falls down then he goes around him lol ADA looks so cocky & confident with the puck

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Smith-DeAngelo was the Rangers best pair last night vs STL. Wonder if going forward they stick together and we see more Staal-Trouba.

good post.

they were. smith played very well actually. he does bring some emotion and grizzle too.

the team played very well against a final 4 team. Bennington outplayed Georgie and KK missing both of his close slam dunk chances was the difference.

Reactions: leetch99

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
good post.

they were. smith played very well actually. he does bring some emotion and grizzle too.

the team played very well against a final 4 team. Bennington outplayed Georgie and KK missing both of his close slam dunk chances was the difference.
Focusing more on the pair than the game, I think smith is the Rangers best option to pair with Tony. Plays a defense first game, skates pretty well and defends his own blue line well. If Tony’s partner can keep up with him in transition and help him stop the other teams transition opportunities thats as good as well get

Reactions: LokiDog

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I thought D played a very good HARD game tonight. He came out for a couple of shifts and was absolutely flying and throwing the body around.

Man, there’s a lot to be excited about with this team

Reactions: leetch99

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
DeAngelo is getting Norris votes this year. He’s been around average defensively this season (some good, some bad), but we’ve seen d-men with worse defensive games get votes and even win it.

Reactions: Rongomania

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
obviously a terrific pass by panarin on the goal but what a great read by deangelo to drive to the net before panarin even got the puck back...it was like they read each others mind before the play happened.

Reactions: belford22

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
obviously a terrific pass by panarin on the goal but what a great read by deangelo to drive to the net before panarin even got the puck back...it was like they read each others mind before the play happened.
People talk about Panarin & Strome’s chemistry but I think it’s Panarin & Tony who have eyes in the back of their heads when it comes to finding each other

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I feel like people keep waiting for ADA to “come down” and I’m just not sure that’s going to be a thing.

He’s pretty much holding or building on a 55+ point pace for a year, and spread over two seasons.

In the past we’ve talked about him someday hitting that Dan Boyle type level — and someday has looked like it’s here for a while now.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I feel like people keep waiting for ADA to “come down” and I’m just not sure that’s going to be a thing.

He’s pretty much holding or building on a 55+ point pace for a year, and spread over two seasons.

In the past we’ve talked about him someday hitting that Dan Boyle type level — and someday has looked like it’s here for a while now.

Again, Stepan. Brassard, Rantaa and a 7th for Mika, DeAngelo, a 1st and a 2nd. That is sheer robbery.

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
Everyone talks about DeAngelo as a product of Panarin/Mika. Panarin/Mika success has a lot to do with DeAngelo tho. Not to mention they are a sick 3v3 unit.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

It's worth pointing out that earlier in the season many people including yourself, the blueshirt breakaway guys (actually till today they talk about it) and the blueshirt banter guys (also till today) were totally fine with trading him away.

Last year I wanted to try to lock him up at 8x5. Now I'm guessing toget 8 years outta him will cost 8 mil.

I have a feeling Tony is gonna get the arbitration game.. and that's bad.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's worth pointing out that earlier in the season many people including yourself, the blueshirt breakaway guys (actually till today they talk about it) and the blueshirt banter guys (also till today) were totally fine with trading him away.

Last year I wanted to try to lock him up at 8x5. Now I'm guessing toget 8 years outta him will cost 8 mil.

I have a feeling Tony is gonna get the arbitration game.. and that's bad.

I had no problem trading him last year, yes. I also wasn't ready to immediately assume Fox would be a contributor. I was hesitant about either having the impact they ended up having. I also was wrong about Brad Morrison, Shane McColgan and Andrew Yogan. Oh well.

The reason a lot of people wanted to trade him away, was because of non-hockey related things. I never had a problem with him. I care as much about an athlete's political preference as I do about a politician's golf handicap. I just didn't see the upside he showed this season. He's been on fire

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I had no problem trading him last year, yes. I also wasn't ready to immediately assume Fox would be a contributor. I was hesitant about either having the impact they ended up having. I also was wrong about Brad Morrison, Shane McColgan and Andrew Yogan. Oh well.

The reason a lot of people wanted to trade him away, was because of non-hockey related things. I never had a problem with him. I care as much about an athlete's political preference as I do about a politician's golf handicap. I just didn't see the upside he showed this season. He's been on fire
But why wouldn't we see the upside? His junior numbers were like historic level good. He's always played with an edge, and has always been able to skate really well. He's just smallish with an ok at best shot. But everything else is there. David Quinn deserves a metric ton of credit for turning him into a good soldier who can harness his talent level while not crossing over the line.

DeAngelo is as far right as I am left but I'm still one of his biggest fans. His skill and game won me over super fast. He's like the anti lias for me. Everything I hated about lias' game is what I love about DeAngelo. He's also nowhere near as bad in his own end as some ppl make him out to be. The fact that generally it's him facing 3 on 1s or 2 on 1s and not his d partner (staal) despite the fact that he pushes up into the zone shows us how smart he is. He completes real hard as well.

I do wish he'd not give up possession so readily on 50 50 corner pucks...rather than go for them he prefers to let the forechecking player get it and defend. I wonder if that's a stylistic thing or a system thing. Hard to say. But defensively I have 26637282662 more problems with the way trouba and staal defend than I do with the way DeAngelo, fox lindgren or smith defend.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
I think DeAngelo may be a product of Quinn. Quinn's been very good for him
I wonder how much of this team lives-and-dies by Quinn’s hand. This is one of the most offensively gifted lineups the Rangers have ever had, but I don’t think anyone expected just how high of a level some players could reach. The defense is obviously a mess, but that isn’t to say it is necessarily sinking the team.

Quinn has clearly drawn great responsibility and increased performance out of his top-offensive players to an extent that AV and Torts never seemed comfortable doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad