Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
An important part of having a "tough" team is having a tight-knit one; ADA is ready to stand up for everybody in the room, constantly.

And that definitely rubs off!! Beautiful culture to have, and we have to argue that we didn't have this element for a very long time.

I find him so endearing. Bet almost the entire team does and he is a big part of actively knitting the group together.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
If we move ADA it will be a mistake. It’s not just the production and age, he’s a massive part of this team’s personality and the reason we have had so many gutsy comebacks and stand up for one another. We had years of watching Staal and Girardu not lift a finger when Gaborik would get mugged. This new culture is so much preferable and Tony is a big part of it. I love Trouba, I wanted him here before we got him and defended the trade, the contract and his play on multiple occasions but if push truly came to shove I actually would move Trouba before ADA or Fox.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
DQ should be arrested for pairing him with Staal.

with a more competent partner, he’s probably in the running for the Norris.
If DeAngelo was able to maintain his point rate away from Staal and play the same total minutes he has this season entirely without Staal, he'd have 9 more 5v5 points on the season:
upload_2020-3-2_17-44-32.png

That would put him at 58 points in 63 games, which rates to 75 points in 82 games.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If we move ADA it will be a mistake. It’s not just the production and age, he’s a massive part of this team’s personality and the reason we have had so many gutsy comebacks and stand up for one another. We had years of watching Staal and Girardu not lift a finger when Gaborik would get mugged. This new culture is so much preferable and Tony is a big part of it. I love Trouba, I wanted him here before we got him and defended the trade, the contract and his play on multiple occasions but if push truly came to shove I actually would move Trouba before ADA or Fox.
I am not sure where all of this talk is coming about moving him. He is not being moved. Neither is Fox. Neither is Trouba.

Reactions: belford22 and jas

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

The Keane deal pretty much points to us keeping him.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
John Carlson is probably going to win it and he's horrible defensively.

It's no longer a best all around D award, it's all about those points.
Now when Karlsson is out of the picture, it's just fine again to win it by producing points. So weird. He had a record assist season and they still handed it to "Doughty is due".

DeAngelo is 6th in scoring among NHL defensemen btw. I also agree it's criminal he has to drag Staal's corpse around.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I get all the shtick that our RHD is "loaded" and that he's small and sawft but the idea that we have multiple times even considered trading a soon-to-be 60 point D aged 24 just.........blows my mind on so many levels.

Beyond the boxcar stats, I don't think we grasp how much Tony means to this team's ability to have deadly, explosive offense. Besides Panarin, Tony and Fox have almost guaranteed an elite passer and puck mover on the ice at all times. We've had many many years of having only one such D and it was usually a player that did not get ideal icetime (Yandle) or wasn't truthfully that good of a puck mover or had minimal offensive instincts (McDonagh, Del Zotto).

This two-pronged puck-on-a-string set-up is essential to giving this team a leg up on playoff competition. I just can't believe trading him is a serious consideration.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I get all the shtick that our RHD is "loaded" and that he's small and sawft but the idea that we have multiple times even considered trading a soon-to-be 60 point D aged 24 just.........blows my mind on so many levels.

Beyond the boxcar stats, I don't think we grasp how much Tony means to this team's ability to have deadly, explosive offense. Besides Panarin, Tony and Fox have almost guaranteed an elite passer and puck mover on the ice at all times. We've had many many years of having only one such D and it was usually a player that did not get ideal icetime (Yandle) or wasn't truthfully that good of a puck mover or had minimal offensive instincts (McDonagh, Del Zotto).

This two-pronged puck-on-a-string set-up is essential to giving this team a leg up on playoff competition. I just can't believe trading him is a serious consideration.
I've posted about this in other threads, but the eveidence suggests that Panarin and Zibanejad would not be scoring at 100+ rates without DeAngelo and Fox.

Trouba is a very good offensive defenceman by NHL standards (at least 5v5) and 10/93 score points at less than half the rate with him compared to 23/77.

Reactions: Anttiup32

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

The list of active defensemen who had at 24 the statistical season ADA is having is . . . very short and very impressive. All guys you want. I''ll be supremely pissed if ADA plays elsewhere in his prime.

Reactions: belford22

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Beyond the boxcar stats, I don't think we grasp how much Tony means to this team's ability to have deadly, explosive offense.
I think that his effect has been stated many times.
I just can't believe trading him is a serious consideration.
I also believe that Gorton is not seriously considering it. And has plenty of time to figure it out.

Reactions: leetch99

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The PP finally is a thing of beauty after so many years of watching McDonagh struggle with the puck ....Tony could play the PP blindfolded he has that much confidence in his skating and puckhandling skills and his passes are on the tape and firm . Nail him down long term ..guys like him and Fox should be fixtures here for at least 8 more seasons .

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
Smith-DeAngelo was the Rangers best pair last night vs STL. Wonder if going forward they stick together and we see more Staal-Trouba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad