Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Don't see anywhere near the defensive ability. It's not about him being a great partner; it's about finding him a partner that will be able to act as a defensive consciousnesses for him. Preferably with some size and snarl.
Don't see anywhere near the defensive ability. It's not about him being a great partner; it's about finding him a partner that will be able to act as a defensive consciousnesses for him. Preferably with some size and snarl.

um.....

i was talking about ryan.

not tony.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Agreed. At the moment I think they should move TDA to the left and keep pairing him with Fox, Trouba or even Smith. Going to be a couple of seasons until this defense finally take shape.

moving tony to the left side does nothing but neuter him. not happening.

replacing skjeis minutes will be tough. top pair lefty isnt really here right now.

something will need to be done. doesnt seem like anyone is ready to assume that role.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
moving tony to the left side does nothing but neuter him. not happening.

replacing skjeis minutes will be tough. top pair lefty isnt really here right now.

something will need to be done. doesnt seem like anyone is ready to assume that role.

You seem pretty confident that TDA won't be seeing any time on the left. I disagree. We've already seen it and he played left side before with Sarnia. Just saying its not completely foreign to him and I trust that Quinn knows what he's doing.
We should anticipate seeing some juggling if they get up by a goal or two. Look at it this way, we might see Staal paired up with Smith, lol.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
You seem pretty confident that TDA won't be seeing any time on the left. I disagree. We've already seen it and he played left side before with Sarnia. Just saying its not completely foreign to him and I trust that Quinn knows what he's doing.
We should anticipate seeing some juggling if they get up by a goal or two. Look at it this way, we might see Staal paired up with Smith, lol.
No, it's normally Staal with Lindgren when they are protecting a lead late.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Another 5v5 point tonight (and great relative possession metrics). He is now chasing Carlson for the top spot in 5v5 P/60 among defencemen.

upload_2020-2-26_5-17-12.png

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I've got to cool it with the DeAngelo posts lately, but I just found the most insane 5v5 stat so here it goes.

According to NST, in the 180:24 that Artemi Panarin and Tony DeAngelo have shared the ice without Marc Staal 5v5 the Rangers have scored 7.98 GF/60 and conceded 2.00 GA/60 (24-6 in actual goals). Score and venus adjustments doesn't affect it at all, so it's not just playing from behind either.

For reference, the Florida Panthers have scored 7.93 GF/60 5v4 which places them 9th in the league. The Rangers' 7th ranked 5v4 play has them scoring 8.19 GF/60.

upload_2020-2-26_15-9-18.png

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

i mean sure he can play some left side- certainly on the PP but defensively its very tough for all the reasons we've identified prior.

lets just agree that it isnt ideal to get the best out of any dman. the simple solution is to find a 1st pair LD partner for jake.

i happen to like the right side we have. jake the 1. fox at 2 on the PP2 and tony at 3 and the PP1.

seems like good mojo there.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
i mean sure he can play some left side- certainly on the PP but defensively its very tough for all the reasons we've identified prior.

lets just agree that it isnt ideal to get the best out of any dman. the simple solution is to find a 1st pair LD partner for jake.

i happen to like the right side we have. jake the 1. fox at 2 on the PP2 and tony at 3 and the PP1.

Tony has great metrics at LD and not just when we are playing from behind.

Here are the past two seasons, "RD" is whenever he is on the ice 5v5 and none of Fox, Trouba, Shattenkirk and Pionk are and LD is the remainder:

upload_2020-2-26_16-7-31.png

Split between trailing and tied+leading:
upload_2020-2-26_16-8-15.png

This isn't a huge sample, but considering his history at the position, the current makeup of our roster and his WOWY with Staal I would like to see him get an extended look next to Trouba or Fox.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

Understood. It's not ideal for any dman to play on his offside but many do and have found success.
I just wish many weren't hell bent or dismissive of the idea of TDA playing on the left side because he has before and is currently seeing time there when there is a lead and Quinn starts juggling.
I guess an argument can be made for the move wouldn't just be to hold on to him long term but perhaps to accommodate a player like Lundkvist who is looking like he could push for a spot out of camp next season. If Ranger's D prospects like Miller, Lundkvist and Robertson hit their potential we could be looking at 3 serious dynamic lines that can probably be juggled around depending on the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: belford22

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Curious what you thought of the D line changes when Quinn started juggle them. Responding to your previous comment about TDA moving to the left.
Kind of the same as usual. We saw Fox/DeAngelo together for the 4-on-4, but no more R/R pairs than usual. Hoped to see more. And Fox and DeAngelo didn't play the last 3 minutes protecting the lead, like normal.

Reactions: charliemurphy

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
ADA has even said that he prefers the left side. If it wasn't for the fact that he carries the Staal burden with unbelieveable ease, I think we would have already seen him being played on that side.
Do you have a source on this? I've seen people on here say it but I've never seen where he said it
If so, that could very well mean we've solidified our future core

DeAngelo - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Lundkvist

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Do you have a source on this? I've seen people on here say it but I've never seen where he said it
If so, that could very well mean we've solidified our future core

DeAngelo - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Lundkvist

I'm not able to check it out right now, but will have a look after work.

It was from an interview that he did last year at some point. I don't think I watched the interview at the time, just read people's comments to it on here.

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
I'm not able to check it out right now, but will have a look after work.

It was from an interview that he did last year at some point. I don't think I watched the interview at the time, just read people's comments to it on here.

I haven't seen the interview where he said it either...but if it's true, it would make a lot of sense based on how he plays. Playing on his offside opens him up and puts his stick to the middle of the ice rather than the boards, providing him with more room to skate into, and more open ice to see to find teammates and make plays in all three zones.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
DeAngelo on his offside playing against the opposition's top players? What could go wrong?
TDA has played his offside most of his junior career.

And why not try it? Aren't we always discussing how TDA needs a "strong defensively responsible" partner anyway (although I entirely disagree that Trouba is that).

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
TDA has played his offside most of his junior career.

And why not try it? Aren't we always discussing how TDA needs a "strong defensively responsible" partner anyway (although I entirely disagree that Trouba is that).
His junior career is a long time ago.

Yes, we are always discussing that but in the context of what kind of a partner would be a good partner for him. Not the kind of partner that draws all of the toughest assignments.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
His junior career is a long time ago.

okay is the ~100 minutes he's played on the left side this year relevant then?

Yes, we are always discussing that but in the context of what kind of a partner would be a good partner for him. Not the kind of partner that draws all of the toughest assignments.
This conversation is really frustrating because it overlaps with the meme that *none* of the D on this team are ready for "tough assignments" (whatever that means, its never consistent) except Trouba for some nebulous toughness related reasons and I don't understand it.

Adam Fox is our TOI leader since the new year at even strength and has been really without question our best defenseman all year. Tony has been our second best by basically every metric (and by some others/points he's our first) and I think we can all universally agree he isn't really the riverboat gambler that he used to be. Trouba has gotten absolutely wrecked all year against "tough matchups" and while some of that is definitely playing with brain dead f*** heads like Skjei and Hajek, even by the eye test Trouba is super irresponsible defensively and since he throws hits and because of "matchups" it never gets noticed. Does this board ever get tired of this self-fulfilling prophecy?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
okay is the ~100 minutes he's played on the left side this year relevant then?
Again, context matters. He played a small, sheltered time in specific situations. Blowing that up as evidence that he can do so as no problem, seems logical?
This conversation is really frustrating because it overlaps with the meme that *none* of the D on this team are ready for "tough assignments" (whatever that means, its never consistent) except Trouba for some nebulous toughness related reasons and I don't understand it.

Adam Fox is our TOI leader since the new year at even strength and has been really without question our best defenseman all year. Tony has been our second best by basically every metric (and by some others/points he's our first) and I think we can all universally agree he isn't really the riverboat gambler that he used to be. Trouba has gotten absolutely wrecked all year against "tough matchups" and while some of that is definitely playing with brain dead f*** heads like Skjei and Hajek, even by the eye test Trouba is super irresponsible defensively and since he throws hits and because of "matchups" it never gets noticed.
Sorry that you find it so. And those are two different conversations. That used to be the conversation regarding Fox and Lindgren. Were they ready then? No. Are they ready now? Sure. Are they ready to take on the opposition's top lines? Debatable.

That is Fox and Lindgren. That is not DeAngelo. Had he been taking Trouba's assignments, his fancy stats would take an absolute beating. Does that mean that I believe he has not taken steps forward? Of course not. Clearly he has. But in no way do I believe he is ready or frankly equipped to take on the opposition's top lines.
Does this board ever get tired of this self-fulfilling prophecy?
I don't know, do you ever get tired of preaching at anyone who does not solely judge results by looking at metrics that can be viewed as flawed as they look at scenarios with blinders on and may not tell the whole tale? Lighten up, Francis. While there are certainly people here who have agendas, most try to present and express their views according to how they see it. I am sorry if you seem to find that tiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad