Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
ADA actually played more LD in juniors than RD. And if I remember right, didn't he say that he was more comfortable on the left side?

Right now, the "log jam" at RD is being caused by having Marc Staal more than by having three very good RDs.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
ADA actually played more LD in juniors than RD. And if I remember right, didn't he say that he was more comfortable on the left side?

Right now, the "log jam" at RD is being caused by having Marc Staal more than by having three very good RDs.

Hes played LD when paired with Fox and the 2 of them have crushed it together.

It should be a long term thing but as you said, Staal gets in the way of it right now because those 2 are the only ones capable of carrying his deadweight ass around.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Hes played LD when paired with Fox and the 2 of them have crushed it together.

It should be a long term thing but as you said, Staal gets in the way of it right now because those 2 are the only ones capable of carrying his deadweight ass around.

Is it wrong of me to say that if they're willing to sit Hank this much then Staal should not be exempt from the same treatment? I suppose whether we have a D man in Hartford who can take 3rd pairing minutes while Staal sits is another issue entirely but I find it hard to believe any of them would be much worse.

Reactions: LokiDog

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Is it wrong of me to say that if they're willing to sit Hank this much then Staal should not be exempt from the same treatment? I suppose whether we have a D man in Hartford who can take 3rd pairing minutes while Staal sits is another issue entirely but I find it hard to believe any of them would be much worse.
Quinn hasn't been hesitant to sit Staal. It's just a matter of there being few options behind him.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Looking into Zibanejad's point total over his past 82 games I found that DeAngelo is now officially a 60-point defenceman having surpassed the mark over his past 82 games after his two assists against the Hawks. Scoring no points against the Canes, he now has exactly 60 points in his past 82 GP.

Here is a chart of his 82-game point progression since becoming a Ranger:
upload_2020-2-22_17-52-32.png

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ADA is the best defenseman on the team. hes not the best defender (yet) but hes playing smarter and in more control recently.

his 1v1 play has been pretty solid. he takes the body along the wall and can separate with his stick. hes very good at that and immediately moving the puck to an open guy. his ability to skate the puck out of the dzone is top notch.

his tape to tape passes to spring guys are a given now. he makes it look easy. is there a better passer on the team ?

watching him play with skilled guys on the PP and especially panarin is special. those 2 have some real chemistry. you can see tony always looking to get bread the puck and it usually is right in his wheel house for a one timer.

you cannot say enough about what tony has accomplished this season. any discussion of moving this guy unless it a no brainer overpayment is dumb. period.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
thought he played pretty well actually

the whole team sucked early but then they all found their collective game.

tony has become a dependable defender in his own end. not great but certainly not a liability on most nights.
They were sucked early, but then found their collective game (when DeAngelo stopped taking a regular shift).

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
ADA might not be the best pure defender but I love what he brings to the team. He skates like the wind, has fantastic playmaking ability, and can dangle his way out of a phone booth. He also brings attitude which the team sorely needs on those nights when the boys don't have their head in the game.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think his decision making is way better than when he broke in. He doesn't play like a riverboat gambler and he doesn't end up standing by himself in random spots around the net.

He's still easily pushed around, worthless in front of the net, and non-existent in the corners. His gaps are okay and he is maybe average one-on-one?

He gets generally easy defensive assignments to start and if he plays a whole shift against easier forwards it's fine. If he ends up out there against larger, stronger players it gets really dicey.

Of course because of his skating and passing, he excels at controlled exits. Which is an important thing. I don't know what the metrics say about all of this, what I've said is just my general observation of him as a player.

His overall defensive game is lacking, and I don't think that's ever really going to change. He'll be 25 next season with over 200 NHL games played, so it is what it is. Substantial improvement is unlikely at that stage.

The offense is great. The edge he plays with is great. That he is by all accounts a popular teammate, is also great. So you take the good with the bad. He's a net positive by a good margin. But I can't pretend like he's anything more than below average defensively.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think, overall, Fox will be better. It's not a knock on Tony. He brings to the table what has been already pointed out. Fox isn't done developing. He is incredible on his side of the puck, yet he still has room to grow as a power play quarterback and on the defensive side of the puck. His mistakes right now typically happen when the other team has the puck. I think as he learns the players in the league and their habits, he will get even better as a defender.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
DeAngelo brings the Mike Green vibes when I see him on the ice. Great PPQB and a little more physical.

Fox give me Letang vibes with his smarts and all around game. If Fox got time to develop with PP1, there would be more points, but DeAngelo checks all the boxes to be that guy.

It's a very good problem to have.

Reactions: belford22

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ADA might not be the best pure defender but I love what he brings to the team. He skates like the wind, has fantastic playmaking ability, and can dangle his way out of a phone booth. He also brings attitude which the team sorely needs on those nights when the boys don't have their head in the game.
This is a much, much better way to put it.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I think, overall, Fox will be better. It's not a knock on Tony. He brings to the table what has been already pointed out. Fox isn't done developing. He is incredible on his side of the puck, yet he still has room to grow as a power play quarterback and on the defensive side of the puck. His mistakes right now typically happen when the other team has the puck. I think as he learns the players in the league and their habits, he will get even better as a defender.

DeAngelo brings the Mike Green vibes when I see him on the ice. Great PPQB and a little more physical.

Fox give me Letang vibes with his smarts and all around game. If Fox got time to develop with PP1, there would be more points, but DeAngelo checks all the boxes to be that guy.

It's a very good problem to have.

Fox uses his smarts extremely well (and it makes him better defensively) and he has plenty of talent, but I think it's evident that Tony is flat out more talented offensively and I don't think Fox will ever be as good in that part of the game. Which is hardly a knock because I think Tony's offensive ceiling might be the highest of any defenceman in the league now that Karlsson has taken a step back.

What I like about Tony's game lately is that he is much more agressive defensively. For a while it has seemed like he wanted to check the boxes from what the coaching staff wants and he's been using his skating and gap control to steer attackers to the outside, which is good in the abstract. Unfortunately for him it leads to battles in the corners that he loses too often. When he instead uses his skating to break up plays as they develop, which is riskier, he's been much more effective (this is the way that Karlsson plays defence).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad