Thoughts on the rebuild? PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Curious if people think we're anywhere near competing next season or if we should be expecting/hoping for another tank year?

For me, I'd rather have a few revelations next season and start competing right away. We don't have much more to tear down, and I don't want to throw a whole season for a single high draft pick.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Curious if people think we're anywhere near competing next season or if we should be expecting/hoping for another tank year?

For me, I'd rather have a few revelations next season and start competing right away. We don't have much more to tear down, and I don't want to throw a whole season for a single high draft pick.
Another tank year, nowhere near a winning team. Have 1 top 4 D and 1 true top 6 forward.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

I think we'll be out of the bottom 5 next year. Tough to say how much higher than that we'll be without knowing what the complications are of potentially not having a season for the AHL to develop certain prospects. I think of someone like Norris who wouldn't have had the prospect rankings jump he had without his season in the AHL. How many other guys might potentially fall into that category? Will the NHL play a full schedule next year? Are our chances better if they only play 60 games? What about home/away splits? Young teams usually play much, much better at home than on the road.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We're going to be at a noticeable disadvantage to start the year along with the other bottom rung teams. By the time next season starts, we will have presumably gone nearly a year without playing any sort of hockey.

Even other teams that lost the play in round, they still had a chance to execute a training camp of sorts, along with league games.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
We're going to be at a noticeable disadvantage to start the year along with the other bottom rung teams. By the time next season starts, we will have presumably gone nearly a year without playing any sort of hockey.

Even other teams that lost the play in round, they still had a chance to execute a training camp of sorts, along with league games.
Wasn't there a proposed plan to have the bottom-7 teams start camp and have exhibitions earlier?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

You forget: Rest is a weapon.

I can't even imagine what a year's worth of rest will do for this team. Could be one for the record books.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Evaluation of the young players jumping into the roster - so realistic assessments of Brown, Batherson, Formenton, Wolanin, Brannstrom, and Norris (and I suppose White and Duclair)
That’s 8 players we need to know a lot more about - Half the forwards and a third of the defence. (Not to mentioned goaltending)

By the deadline they need to have played in the majority of games consistently, then make some moves for picks, let some players walk, & head into the draft with another high pick.

Following year is launch year imo with the #3&5 in the lineup, from then on our we start our climb with the established core.

We need one more to finish the cleanup imo.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Evaluation of the young players jumping into the roster - so realistic assessments of Brown, Batherson, Formenton, Wolanin, Brannstrom, and Norris (and I suppose White and Duclair)
That’s 8 players we need to know a lot more about - Half the forwards and a third of the defence. (Not to mentioned goaltending)

By the deadline they need to have played in the majority of games consistently, then make some moves for picks, let some players walk, & head into the draft with another high pick.

Following year is launch year imo with the #3&5 in the lineup, from then on our we start our climb with the established core.

We need one more to finish the cleanup imo.
But who do we deal for picks? UFAs? Prospects? Who do we legitimately have that isn't part of the rebuild and will actually have some trade value?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We have a perfect storm ,to make some waves...With loads of picks/prospects ,cap space and a flat cap....But we likely wont use any of it to our advantage...Which is a shame because this kind of opportunity will likely never happen again

Reactions: Samsquanch

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
We have a perfect storm ,to make some waves...With loads of picks/prospects ,cap space and a flat cap....But we likely wont use any of it to our advantage...Which is a shame because this kind of opportunity will likely never happen again

I agree...we won't be able to take advantage of it but I wish posters would stop blaming this on Dorion's intelligence or Melnyk's assholery. Not being able to take advantage of it is a result of means. Ottawa is a small market with a poor owner. Organization's with multi-billion dollar corporations as their owner can spend extravagantly...Ottawa can not.

Reactions: Sweatred

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I agree...we won't be able to take advantage of it but I wish posters would stop blaming this on Dorion's intelligence or Melnyk's assholery. Not being able to take advantage of it is a result of means. Ottawa is a small market with a poor owner. Organization's with multi-billion dollar corporations as their owner can spend extravagantly...Ottawa can not.
EM is to blame though ,he has held a team he cant afford past its due date.....So instead of having an ownership group here that could take advantage of it ,we are stuck now with all sorts of chips we cant cash

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

What incentive does Melnyk really have to improve the team for next season? Without any fans in the seats for possibly the entirety of next season, including playoffs, it makes little difference if the team loses every game or wins every game.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
EM is to blame though ,he has held a team he cant afford past its due date.....So instead of having an ownership group here that could take advantage of it ,we are stuck now with all sorts of chips we cant cash

Fans don't get to choose their owner just like you can't choose your parents. You're either a fan of the team with all its pros and cons or not. Melnyk bought the Sens fair and square and he gets to keep it for as long as he likes.

What incentive does Melnyk really have to improve the team for next season? Without any fans in the seats for possibly the entirety of next season, including playoffs, it makes little difference if the team loses every game or wins every game.

Melnyk wants his team to be great every bit as much as any other owner. He has investors to answer to and he has a fan base that has turned on him. Of course he wants his team to be good. It's a matter of means. He and Dorion have a much harder road than most organizations. I've said it before, the Sens are the Expos of the NHL. But even the Expos built an awesome young team that competed for many years. The Sens can do it too; they just have to be really careful with the contracts they hand out. And it's not about being cheap, it's about survival.

That's why the Colin White contract was a head scratcher.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

There was so much fan pressure to spend money somewhere... anywhere ... the fan base would have erupted if the Sens negotiated a fair value contract with White ...That May have involved a late signing, training camp holdout etc... as it stands they basically gave him whatever he wanted to appease the fans.... and it worked ... the fan base loved the deal. From their view they choose to spend money on players 20+ years vs 30+ years hoping the development/growth curve may give them a better shot at some positive value out of the contracts.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Twice in the past week Garrioche has written that there is no information of Nilsson has been on the ice in Sweden and is practicing - maybe call him or call his agent or ask someone on the team.

this is so stupid - how can you not know if one of your players has been on the ice since April? You’ve talked to Boro 400 times, and you can’t get in touch with your starting goalie. Sounds like a bad scene for the Sens is they can’t figure this out

Reactions: senswon

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Fans don't get to choose their owner just like you can't choose your parents. You're either a fan of the team with all its pros and cons or not. Melnyk bought the Sens fair and square and he gets to keep it for as long as he likes.

Melnyk wants his team to be great every bit as much as any other owner. He has investors to answer to and he has a fan base that has turned on him. Of course he wants his team to be good. It's a matter of means. He and Dorion have a much harder road than most organizations. I've said it before, the Sens are the Expos of the NHL. But even the Expos built an awesome young team that competed for many years. The Sens can do it too; they just have to be really careful with the contracts they hand out. And it's not about being cheap, it's about survival.

Yep and fans have every right to not attend games,in protest to how the team has been run........Also you keep saying we are a small market,but with an arena deal and a great regional tv deal all created by the fans support of the team... When does it start becoming a small ownership issue rather than the latter

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If he wants to ever have fans come back,then he should probably want to improve this team...But your point is taken ,he likely wont do a thing

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
huh-steve-brule-dr-kc0kqKNFu7v35gPkwB

So either we're trading him (doubtful if he's actually injured), or he's playing right?
So why are we kicking tires on the penguins backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad