Thoughts on the rebuild? PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This quote by Tom Brady should be a mantra for this rebuild, Ottawa for so long had unreal expectations of the team and the players on it:

“I think with our team, what I think we’ve done over the years is we’ve not projected expectations for people that put them in an unfair position that people are expecting things that, you know, are not in my control,” Brady said.

Read more at: Tom Brady Explains Why He Hasn’t Talked Up Patriots Rookie N’Keal Harry

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Then don’t? Gawd, insufferable.

It is a rebuild and some players aren’t ready. You need fillers in the meantime. There is no quick fix here. You all can come back in a few years if that works for you
I'm just pointing out that its a valid position to not be excited by the current incarnation despite the players in place playing a more "exciting" brand of hockey, even if you don't share that opinion.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Rebuild : to build something again that has been damaged or destroyed
Damaged or destroyed by Melnyk and his little buddy Pierre. Bring in the guys who can rebuild it... Oh look its Melnyk and Pierre again. Pumped.

IMG_5644-748x350.jpg

1. Attendance and papering as it relates to the rebuild
2. Melnyk's treatment of fans as it relates to the rebuild
3. What is a fan? as it relates to the rebuild

Reactions: Sensfan4life

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Rebuild is looking weak because not a single high-end talent at forward position

All our top prospect are still a 'maybe' when it comes to being top 6, including Tkachuk and White

Saying silly things like this doesn't make them true, it just makes your posts look ignorant.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I am sorry that my comments bother you. There seemed to be a bit of a discussion that it seemed relevant to add my piece again. I loved this team more than is healthy for too long and I felt like I got the middle finger and told to shove it, I won't let that go and just focus on what they want me to focus on. I still love the players on the ice when it comes down to it, but the overwhelming feeling is still betrayal and anger. Coming here and venting occasionally is just part of the process for me. You are free to put me on ignore, we've gone back and forth many times and when it really comes down to it, we just don't see things the same way most of the time or want to focus on different aspects of the franchise through this "rebuild."

I don't pretend to be making a difference on the bottom line, just a matter of principle.

I just like to put my small voice out in the universe that there are some that haven't forgotten or forgiven and regardless how many think like me, I hope Melnyk never forgets he did so much of this to himself.

Fair enough, I’ll leave you to your sorrows in future.

Reactions: Gesus

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm sure many posters on the board find the over the top positivism from some board members to be insufferable too. I don't see any negative posters telling the positive ones to go away.

I didn’t tell him to go away, just don’t tune in. Being negative for the sake of negativity is exhausting. You’ve had a cup of coffee here, try it on for a few years

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm just pointing out that its a valid position to not be excited by the current incarnation despite the players in place playing a more "exciting" brand of hockey, even if you don't share that opinion.

Everything is a valid position, Gesus, because we are entitled to our opinions. You fail to see anything positive, all the time, and it is permeating everywhere you post. Everything sucks, am I doing this right?

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
I didn’t tell him to go away, just don’t tune in. Being negative for the sake of negativity is exhausting. You’ve had a cup of coffee here, try it on for a few years

How else are we supposed to interpret "You all can come back in a few years if that works for you" than you telling them to leave?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
How else are we supposed to interpret "You all can come back in a few years if that works for you" than you telling them to leave?
If it works, by all means. Or , they can just hang out here. And bitch about everything , all the time.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ya losing is so entertaining

The outcome isn’t the enjoyable part, though good for the tank, it’s how hard the team competes, and how they seem to stay in virtually every game until the end.

I mean it seems unanimous that we all want a high pick this draft, and I don’t think you could have a better team to watch on the ice than what we’re seeing, with that end goal as a priority.

Kids working their ass of and developing before our eyes, but not quite there yet to regularly defeat experienced teams, is infinitely better than watching a seasoned team with stars on it drop the ball for the last three years on their way to being blown up, in my opinion.

I have actually watched every game this year, and it’s because of how they play, not the expected outcomes. What I see bodes well for the future of this team.

Besides, this is just part of the ride to the cup!! :)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Going to declare all goalies in our pipeline as busts. Gustafson is busting and won’t be an NHL player, Hogberg just an AHL starter. Looks like Sogaard who I had high hopes for is inconsistent, which was his downfall in his scouting reports. Had very high hopes for Sogaard but he can’t win in the WHL on a night to night basis and with his pedigree, there’s a an issue NHL players will expose.

Put the goaltending prospect lift back to zero. Not that any of them won’t play NHL games, they just won’t play meaningful NHL games or be goalies that you build with.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Going to declare all goalies in our pipeline as busts. Gustafson is busting and won’t be an NHL player, Hogberg just an AHL starter. Looks like Sogaard who I had high hopes for is inconsistent, which was his downfall in his scouting reports. Had very high hopes for Sogaard but he can’t win in the WHL on a night to night basis and with his pedigree, there’s a an issue NHL players will expose.

Put the goaltending prospect lift back to zero. Not that any of them won’t play NHL games, they just won’t play meaningful NHL games or be goalies that you build with.
Apparently Daccord looks pretty good in Brampton.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The true rebuild will begin the moment Eugene sells.

If that happens in the next year, the Sens will be in a good place.

How different will Sens roster look if EM sells within the next year ?

I don’t even know if a new owner is any more likely to secure a rink than EM?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Was that sarcasm ?

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
How different will Sens roster look if EM sells within the next year ?

I don’t even know if a new owner is any more likely to secure a rink than EM?

The roster will look much different if new ownership simply funds them like an average NHL team. Do you really think that a new owner isn't going to infuse cash to win back fans who have rejected Melnyk's shoestring budget?

The more important question is how different will the roster look when it is time to pay any stars that develop 5 years from now.

Since there is zero chance Melnyk can ever finance a rink or convince others to help him finance a rink then by default new ownership would be more likely to secure a rink. Anyone buying the team would be doing so to take advantage of the developmental opportunity at Lebreton.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The roster will look much different if new ownership simply funds them like an average NHL team. Do you really think that a new owner isn't going to infuse cash to win back fans who have rejected Melnyk's shoestring budget?

The more important question is how different will the roster look when it is time to pay any stars that develop 5 years from now.

Since there is zero chance Melnyk can ever finance a rink or convince others to help him finance a rink then by default new ownership would be more likely to secure a rink. Anyone buying the team would be doing so to take advantage of the developmental opportunity at Lebreton.
I’m not sure that opportunity still exists to the same extent. With the NCC changing the process it’s not as lucrative.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Was that sarcasm ?

No, just not liking the results from any of these guys. Sogaard should be dominating and he’s not.

Bust in the sense none of them will be starters. Sogaard with the best pedigree but his play seems to have levelled off this season and I was expecting total domination from him

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I already conceded that it is one of many things, that isn't up for debate. I just find, and I am repeating myself, that to scrape that one out points to a bigger issue. Many here arejust searching for any and all justification to not support the team, the players, the rebuild. i find it tiring. But it is what it is around here.

December 2017 was certainly the watershed moment for me, and I knew that would have devastating consequences. But many teams, if you are fans and follow closely as we do our team, can write up their own list. It is part of being a fan, and it goes on in every league. I never expected my team to please me all the time, heck or even half of the time. As a fan, you are kinda sucked into it, something that is part of your fiber, your being that cannot be simply turned off. That, around here, seems to be duplicitous if you believe everything people post here....and maybe speaks to the larger issue that the diehards required to support a team in a rebuild simply aren't enough

The exact same applies to those still left defending Eugene of course, minus the pile of evidence. I legit look at a person who defends Eugene and blames the fans at this point like I would a flat earther.

I would say the majority here in this thread as well as the Sens board in general aren't really searching but begrudgingly bracing, accepting and discussing the wave after wave of disaster that is current ownership.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No, just not liking the results from any of these guys. Sogaard should be dominating and he’s not.

Bust in the sense none of them will be starters. Sogaard with the best pedigree but his play seems to have levelled off this season and I was expecting total domination from him
Way too early for that assessment on any of them IMO.

Just for reference these are Carey Price’s numbers in his post draft season.
GAA 2.87 Save% .906 W 21 L 25 T 6.
By far his worst season in the dub.

Sogaard this year GAA 2.87 Save% .905

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Everything is a valid position, Gesus, because we are entitled to our opinions. You fail to see anything positive, all the time, and it is permeating everywhere you post. Everything sucks, am I doing this right?
You're right, I won't see the positive, because that's exactly what they wanted. Wait long enough for everyone to forget their slimeball shit and carry on with the same guys running the show that caused the mess in the first place. Do as you wish, but Ive been consistent that I think its important people are reminded that the team caused this mess for themselves and that they don't deserve fans coming back to support them after the way they treated them.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Infuse cash to win back fans? Is Kovalev still available?

New owners would stick with the plan. Rebuilds take time

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The exact same applies to those still left defending Eugene of course, minus the pile of evidence. I legit look at a person who defends Eugene and blames the fans at this point like I would a flat earther.

I would say the majority here in this thread as well as the Sens board in general aren't really searching but begrudgingly bracing, accepting and discussing the wave after wave of disaster that is current ownership.
Find where I defend Eugene. That is the only comeback you take out of what i said. It brings nothing to the discussion. Most here , in your clearly defined camp, most times bring zero hockey discussion but use HF as a sounding board to get their aggravations out of their Senators adjustment disorder to fight reality tooth and nail. It's just hockey, and we are supposed to fans of the team. Not the owner. I think in Ottawa, there are very few fans left, and just a whole bunch of critics.

But find me defending Melnyk. I don't. I have said many times that he is a lousy owner, but he ain't selling

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You're right, I won't see the positive, because that's exactly what they wanted. Wait long enough for everyone to forget their slimeball **** and carry on with the same guys running the show that caused the mess in the first place. Do as you wish, but Ive been consistent that I think its important people are reminded that the team caused this mess for themselves and that they don't deserve fans coming back to support them after the way they treated them.
Cool. We know that, and I basically allude to you in my previous post. I would love to hear a hockey take, you used to have great feedback on hockey. We are talking rebuild, for the love of all that is holy, mix in a player take one out of three posts at the very least

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Find where I defend Eugene. That is the only comeback you take out of what i said. It brings nothing to the discussion. Most here , in your clearly defined camp, most times bring zero hockey discussion but use HF as a sounding board to get their aggravations out of their Senators adjustment disorder to fight reality tooth and nail. It's just hockey, and we are supposed to fans of the team. Not the owner. I think in Ottawa, there are very few fans left, and just a whole bunch of critics.

But find me defending Melnyk. I don't. I have said many times that he is a lousy owner, but he ain't selling

Rightly or wrongly, finding a way to blame anything and everything but the owner in literally every instance is seen as defending to most of us here, fyi.

The 3 or 4 folks constantly pushing this come across as so extremely disingenuous and that is why I assume the blowback always comes fast and hard. Eugene rightly gets blamed for all the things that are directly his fault here imo, considering this previous point I can see the argument for Pierre being wrongly pegged as a problem but im not sure I support it personally.

You are looking for hockey takes? The team has bragged about spending as little as possible with no change seemingly in the future, has sacrificed their own assets for real cash savings, should folks continue to discuss what picks can be traded for ltir contracts? What bargain bin coach is up next? I will provide hockey takes when the team becomes an actual professional hockey team again.

Reactions: Sensfan4life
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad