Thoughts on the rebuild? PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Nilsson has been training.

I'm not really understanding this situation with our goalies right now. On one hand they say that we should expect Nilsson and Hogberg in net for next season and on the other they mention that they might try to acquire another goalie because Nilsson hasn't played in a long time. I mean we already know he's been of for a while and we also know he's been cleared for return so at this point if you know Nilsson is back why would you still be looking for a goalie?!

I think they're lowkey looking to see if there could be someone better to isolate Hogberg or try to find someone better than Nilsson for cheap but I'm not sure I understand the notion that Nilsson hasn't played for a long time and we could technically explore other options because of that. It's either he's back and we want him or simply we would like to have a different goalie. Don't think it has anything to do with him being out for a while. It's not like we'll know if Nilsson is game ready and back to full form until next season no matter what and by that time every team will have their goaltending set up with very little or no moving parts at that point.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The notion that the Senators don't know whether Nilsson has been on the ice or not is ludicrous. It can't be true. Basically what that means is that the Senators don't know how to contact one of their employees. I know that this is a profoundly f***ed up organization, but that can't be the case.

This is starting to feel like the Clarke MacArthur situation a few years back. Rumours all summer long that he wouldn't be playing in the upcoming season, and then on the literal eve of training camp Bob MacKenzie tweets out that, indeed, MacArthur's playing career was likely over. There was an implication that this was not unexpected news for the Senators.

So I'm starting to think they have some indication that Nilsson won't play this season but just won't say. Perhaps they don't want to weaken their position with regards to trades/UFA's.

Reactions: Crosside

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
They would add budget, both on and off the ice, to restore confidence and distance themselves from Melynk's record of abject failure.

The sens have done well the last 20 years but thinking you deserve or will have someone show up and burn millions on your entertainment somehow seems reasonable?

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I really want the Sens to continue to take it slow, not do anything drastic, and stay the course. No weird offer-sheets for Barzal (see: Trade Forum), no big trades where we try and land a player like Laine. Heck, quite frankly, I'm even against trading quality picks (1st-2nd rounders) for a guy like Matt Murray at this point.

As long as the Euge is here, I believe the Sens need to follow a Tampa Bay Rays type model. It may not be the most exciting method, but it's the most effecting for a team with ownership like ours. We need to continue stock-piling prospects. We need to continue to look for some buy-low candidates that can improve, and we need to develop from within rather than making these massive trades for guys like Laine.

Let's continue to develop our promising prospect pool, lets continue to draft well both this year and next year, let's continue adding some buy low but have promise candidates and lets have them develop. If we do these things well, the Sens are going to put themselves in a position where they can compete. It's finally at this point where we can maybe splurge a little bit by trading a 1st or a player or two in our prospect pool to get a piece to put us in contender territory. But that's of course a long ways away! Let's stay the course for now.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Im open to the idea that the team will improve next season whenever that is, I just havnt seen any projected line ups that convinced me this team has a chance of improving from last season let alone be in the playoff race. I’m not too concerned about next season, rebuilds take time especially scorched earth rebuilds like this one. I just hope Melnyk can afford to sign at least two of Tierney, Brown and Duclair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yep and fans have every right to not attend games,in protest to how the team has been run........Also you keep saying we are a small market,but with an arena deal and a great regional tv deal all created by the fans support of the team... When does it start becoming a small ownership issue rather than the latter

Ya ... That ECF protest was a great move by the fans ... we really showed Eugene ...

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It started in 2013 with Alfredsson, then Eugene’s broken promise of spending “when the time is right”.
He really seemed to reach a point where he just started running things with a my way or the highway attitude.

So much animosity and stories of clashing with person or entity one after another. Getting involved in hockey decisions.

It's a tough market and the chicken and egg conversation can go on forever, but he has clearly been handicapping the team significantly by his own lack of financial flexibility, ego and just generally being way too involved for an owner.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
That was really where this all started

He said hey guys your not buying conference finals tickets I already have cut staff if you wont support the payroll I will have to remove money from the ice... And the fans freaked out and had a fit and bought less tickets players are now gone.
Too bad sports fans act like spoiled children and can't figure out 'why'

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Untrue after they made the final four he OK the Duche move,
We actually moved out just as much if not more salary in the Duchene trade. We made no effort to fix out defence after Methot left (most likely due to financial constraints).

The time was right and the only thing that happened was an exodus of star players.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
We actually moved out just as much if not more salary in the Duchene trade. We made no effort to fix out defence after Methot left (most likely due to financial constraints).

The time was right and the only thing that happened was an exodus of star players.

They traded a 3.5 million dollar player for a six million dollar guy to take his spot. They tried and noone can even admit that
How do you know they made no effort? Vegas just picked a bunch of teams into needing players.
not being able to find someone does not mean they didn't try.
Everyone looks hard for a reason to be upset no matter what.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He said hey guys your not buying conference finals tickets I already have cut staff if you wont support the payroll I will have to remove money from the ice... And the fans freaked out and had a fit and bought less tickets players are now gone.
Too bad sports fans act like spoiled children and can't figure out 'why'
Regardless of what led them there, and if you blame the diving revenues he was complaining about on Melnyk, the fans, or both, he made a very poor business decision to do it when, where and how he did. He got his anger out, but he only amplified the problem. It wouldn't have gone any better in another city and the result of less fans attending after was predictable. He just ended up on the front pages and talk radio as a villain and I'm sure PR advisors would have strongly advised against what he did.
Untrue after they made the final four he OK the Duche move,
I don't think that move added much salary with Hammond and Turris heading the other way.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Regardless of what led them there, and if you blame the diving revenues he was complaining about on Melnyk, the fans, or both, he made a very poor business decision to do it when, where and how he did. He got his anger out, but he only amplified the problem. It wouldn't have gone any better in another city and the result of less fans attending after was predictable. He just ended up on the front pages and talk radio as a villain and I'm sure PR advisors would have strongly advised against what he did.

I don't think that move added much salary with Hammond and Turris heading the other way.

And Hammond still needed to be replaced by someone making something.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
And Hammond still needed to be replaced by someone making something.
He was in the minors when they traded him, so no roster spot to fill. Assumption is the 3rd round pick in the deal was incentive to take on his contract and mostly even out the finances of the trade. Avs even loaned him back to Ottawa to play in Belleville.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
He was in the minors when they traded him, so no roster spot to fill. Assumption is the 3rd round pick in the deal was incentive to take on his contract and mostly even out the finances of the trade. Avs even loaned him back to Ottawa to play in Belleville.

So they would have dumped him somewhere else to someone else, I’m not sure why everyone needs to turn everything into poop and paint some negative picture on everything.
They tried to upgrade and bring in a number one center who makes twice the money. Good thing not bad.
Oh does not count because old ass broke down Methot was taken in expansion.
Oh doesn’t count because they dumped some minor player they didn’t want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad