Thoughts on the rebuild? PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Apparently Daccord looks pretty good in Brampton.

And Gustavsson cant save a beach ball time to make the switch.

Reading through this page has brought to light that many posters cant seem to wrap their heads around the concept that development takes time. If player isnt playing well right now doesnt mean they wont improve. Especially when pro hockey is new to them. Most players need 2 to 3 years before they start being NHL regulars and impact players. D men take longer and goalies even longer than that. People need to be patient here.

Reactions: aragorn

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Cool. We know that, and I basically allude to you in my previous post. I would love to hear a hockey take, you used to have great feedback on hockey. We are talking rebuild, for the love of all that is holy, mix in a player take one out of three posts at the very least
I do try to throw in some hockey opinions, but because of the stage of the rebuild and most of the roster being placeholders (beyond the big 3 in Tkachuk, White & Chabot we watched develop last year), I just don't care much about their nightly performance this year and my thought process at this time is all about allocating our extremely limited future payroll, preserving what little budget flexibility they have, and assessing who I don't want kept based on cost/role, so that could be perceived as negative.

There's just nothing much in this group of placeholders I want kept around., especially considering what it could take to keep some of them and the trajectory of team success. I don't want Pageau signed, I don't want Tierney signed, I don't want Connor Brown signed, I don't want Nilsson viewed as a future starter, I think guys like Boedker and Ryan deserve to be waived and sent to the minors, I didn't want Zaitsev's contract, etc. I could see how that could be seen as negative comments and just shitting on them, but it's more about how I think they have to build the team with their limited budget and knowing the GM and I have much different views on how the team needs to be built.

Its a tough go to get on board when you have no faith in the GM to properly manage the team's budget. After all his arrogance and fluffing of the responsibility through all this, I guess he'll just have to prove it before he gets any support from me. As far as the spending hoopla, ya Melnyk has just burned that bridge permanently, I have no forgiveness in my heart and will take my ball and go home if I have to.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Operating under the assumption that there is zero investment dollars for the team outside of the season and that everything needs to be paid out from actual year to year operating profit, If by chance we win the lottery and select a potential top franchise altering player, and then if that player actually reaches or is tracking towards greatness, how does the current owner afford to sign said player after the elc and pay there signing bonuses and furthermore supplement that player by spending to surround them? Are we banking on the cba here? I just can't see it even with the most optimistic of assumptions, it would seemingly take a miracle.

Reactions: Sensfan4life

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The exact same applies to those still left defending Eugene of course, minus the pile of evidence. I legit look at a person who defends Eugene and blames the fans at this point like I would a flat earther.

I would say the majority here in this thread as well as the Sens board in general aren't really searching but begrudgingly bracing, accepting and discussing the wave after wave of disaster that is current ownership.

This again.... insert eye roll... There is not a single poster in here that has defended EM, or even likes the guy, let alone wants him to remain the owner of the team.

This renders the rest of whatever you wrote a pointless strawman. At least you had the decency to tune folks out before the rest of it.

Dude, we all know how bitter you are, as is your prerogative, but at least stick to arguing about legitimate positions held by at least one person in here.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You're right, I won't see the positive, because that's exactly what they wanted. Wait long enough for everyone to forget their slimeball **** and carry on with the same guys running the show that caused the mess in the first place. Do as you wish, but Ive been consistent that I think its important people are reminded that the team caused this mess for themselves and that they don't deserve fans coming back to support them after the way they treated them.

Honestly man, who is ‘they’? EM doesn’t care a wit what fans think in the slightest judging by his consistent behaviour. You’re already punishing him as best you can by withholding funds, and good on you.

The GM is busy building and running the hockey team we see on the ice. He hasn’t made any appeals to the fanbase to do anything other than to get excited about the kids, and seemingly for good reason.

For good or for bad, no one is worrying about bamboozling you into thinking anything. There just isn’t anyone in a position to care about that kind of thing at the moment, sadly (marketing).

I mean maybe the guy or gal from Algonquin putting together twitter posts and website videos may be tasked with turning your opinions, but you can’t really be angry at THAT person.

I think in the end you’re just going to have to come to peace with it one way or another. There will not likely be any execution moment to cheer for, and if the rebuild continues to look bright, even a change in ownership would not likely see PD fired Immediately. It would seem that he’s actually a respected hockey person around the league, rather than a mere extension of the buffoon owner, and the rebuild is looking pretty solid so far.

Anyways, I respect your opinions and position, I just hope you aren’t waiting for some form of final accounting to bring closure, it’s just not likely to happen, in this as in most things in life.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
This again.... insert eye roll... There is not a single poster in here that has defended EM, or even likes the guy, let alone wants him to remain the owner of the team.

This renders the rest of whatever you wrote a pointless strawman. At least you had the decency to tune folks out before the rest of it.

Dude, we all know how bitter you are, as is your prerogative, but at least stick to arguing about legitimate positions held by at least one person in here.

I take your response here as defending him because you are so bothered by my dislike for him, the only folks that seemingly reply to my analysis of the owner are those who are fans of his or at very least are not bothered by his current ownership.

As always, a lot of generic words from you with no real substance at all and basically taking no stance yet again, classic fence sitting!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
And Gustavsson cant save a beach ball time to make the switch.

Reading through this page has brought to light that many posters cant seem to wrap their heads around the concept that development takes time. If player isnt playing well right now doesnt mean they wont improve. Especially when pro hockey is new to them. Most players need 2 to 3 years before they start being NHL regulars and impact players. D men take longer and goalies even longer than that. People need to be patient here.

Agreed, the kids we’re seeing making an impact on the team right now have put time into their development. Even BT and TC while looking good, are still a fair ways away from the polished finished product.

We have a long history of excellent examples of why you stay patient with prospects. We have seen the team hold on to guys for a long time, and we’ve seen them dump guys sooner than expected. I think it’s fair to say that if Gus is still getting solid reps for example, that they still see the potential there.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The exact same applies to those still left defending Eugene of course, minus the pile of evidence. I legit look at a person who defends Eugene and blames the fans at this point like I would a flat earther.

I would say the majority here in this thread as well as the Sens board in general aren't really searching but begrudgingly bracing, accepting and discussing the wave after wave of disaster that is current ownership.

If you can find one post or poster with someone defending EM from the last three months in here, I will buy you a case of the finest beer.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I take your response here as defending him because you are so bothered by my dislike for him, the only folks that seemingly reply to my analysis of the owner are those who are fans of his or at very least are not bothered by his current ownership.

As always, a lot of generic words from you with no real substance at all and basically taking no stance yet again, classic fence sitting!

Finding enjoyment in bothering people speaks to your character, not mine.

I don’t care in the slightest about your dislike for the owner, I care about your childish need to group anyone who doesn’t share your opinions as bitterly as you do, ownership lovers, defenders, etc...

Me not being bothered by a billionaire owner of an NHL hockey team, who is a stranger to me, and over whom I carry absolutely no influence at all, is an absolute positive.

Why anyone would spend time on that kind of behaviour is beyond me. In the end that’s not even the issue, do what you will with your emotional currency, but how about you try not to mischaracterize the entire group of people you’re trying to engage in discussion with.

Pretty basic stuff. And for the record I have posted dozens of times about how I want new ownership. It’s just not much of an issue given that every single poster in here agrees on that singular issue.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Wait, it’s been upgraded to a pallet now?!?
Pallet15-18D040615094549.jpg

Reactions: Variable26

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Finding enjoyment in bothering people speaks to your character, not mine.

I don’t care in the slightest about your dislike for the owner, I care about your childish need to group anyone who doesn’t share your opinions as bitterly as you do, ownership lovers, defenders, etc...

Me not being bothered by a billionaire owner of an NHL hockey team, who is a stranger to me, and over whom I carry absolutely no influence at all, is an absolute positive.

Why anyone would spend time on that kind of behaviour is beyond me. In the end that’s not even the issue, do what you will with your emotional currency, but how about you try not to mischaracterize the entire group of people you’re trying to engage in discussion with.

Pretty basic stuff. And for the record I have posted dozens of times about how I want new ownership. It’s just not much of an issue given that every single poster in here agrees on that singular issue.

Same old tired tactics again and again and again and again and again...so disingenuous and of course you know this, always with the random false assumptions, projecting your own views on everything and then of course mix in a healthy dose of virtue signaling all while really not taking a stance so you can attack either side, you and the few Gene supporters are literally in every thread claiming not to care but endlessly defending while the rest of us shake our heads and laugh, so phony its hilarious!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Same old tired tactics again and again and again and again and again...so disingenuous and of course you know this, always with the random false assumptions, projecting your own views on everything and then of course mix in a healthy dose of virtue signaling all while really not taking a stance so you can attack either side, you and the few Gene supporters are literally in every thread claiming not to care but endlessly defending while the rest of us shake our heads and laugh, so phony its hilarious!

I think people care in general when other people mischaracterize their opinions, I know I do.

Thanks for this post though I suppose, it does wonders in terms of illuminating your head space.

None of what you posted relates to me much at all, it reads more like an apparition that you’re constantly swinging at in some bitterness infuse fugue state.

I’ll leave you to it.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
If you can find one post or poster with someone defending EM from the last three months in here, I will buy you a case of the finest beer.

Not sure of within the last 3 months but the attendance thread is littered with them, claiming the issue exists because Ottawa has "poor fans" and is "not a sports market"

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
There aren't any Melnyk defenders, but there damn sure are Melnyk apologists.

To get back on topic though, the rebuild is going about as well as can be expected.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Rightly or wrongly, finding a way to blame anything and everything but the owner in literally every instance is seen as defending to most of us here, fyi.

The 3 or 4 folks constantly pushing this come across as so extremely disingenuous and that is why I assume the blowback always comes fast and hard. Eugene rightly gets blamed for all the things that are directly his fault here imo, considering this previous point I can see the argument for Pierre being wrongly pegged as a problem but im not sure I support it personally.

You are looking for hockey takes? The team has bragged about spending as little as possible with no change seemingly in the future, has sacrificed their own assets for real cash savings, should folks continue to discuss what picks can be traded for ltir contracts? What bargain bin coach is up next? I will provide hockey takes when the team becomes an actual professional hockey team again.

There is no point spending money in the first stage of a rebuild. In fact, guys like Anisimov, Boedker and Ryan are in the way. The only way to get them out of the way is spending less. I don't remember seeing any bragging about it, but there is no point spending now unless you are locking up key parts to a new core.

About the other thing? Wrongly, it is then. And people should be more mature and educated to realize that instead of using this cop out. Be better

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
There is no point spending money in the first stage of a rebuild. In fact, guys like Anisimov, Boedker and Ryan are in the way. The only way to get them out of the way is spending less. I don't remember seeing any bragging about it, but there is no point spending now unless you are locking up key parts to a new core.

About the other thing? Wrongly, it is then. And people should be more mature and educated to realize that instead of using this cop out. Be better

Was referring to Gene's any idiot can spend claim, anyways won't derail ,any further I said my piece.

I agree 100% in that there is no money needed to be spent right now...on ice, I would however love to see a robust front office, coaching and scouting staff as well as better facilities with the eye on a new building. I don't anticipate any of the above to occur and have said previously, even if we luck into a couple elite pieces, I can't see how Eugene could afford to even pay the out of season bonuses on their inevitable 100 million dollar contracts. I think these contracts that are being signed are absurd to be honest but that is the price that is currently being paid to be competitive in the league.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The roster will look much different if new ownership simply funds them like an average NHL team. Do you really think that a new owner isn't going to infuse cash to win back fans who have rejected Melnyk's shoestring budget?

The more important question is how different will the roster look when it is time to pay any stars that develop 5 years from now.

Since there is zero chance Melnyk can ever finance a rink or convince others to help him finance a rink then by default new ownership would be more likely to secure a rink. Anyone buying the team would be doing so to take advantage of the developmental opportunity at Lebreton.

Sure - I was just asking about your comment about how different we would look next year with a new owner. The team could use at least two dman but I’m not sure who would come here - the Hainsey contract is probably realistic (overpay).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Thoughts on your rebuild, it's going great! But you need to lose more. At least this season. Vegas is catching up to you in the Lafreniere race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad