Blue Jays Discussion: Things happening this winter! (Jays sign Ryu, Shaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think people are reading way too much into the difficulties the new Houston management is going to face. Players aren't going to avoid signing there going forward. It's one of just 30 GM positions, which don't come available very often, and it's for a very good team.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Agreed.

These scandals go away. No one in Atlanta seems to care about their IFA troubles.

Sure the Astros scandal is much bigger but it will go away.

Someone like Lacava would and should jump on the offer if it presented itself. He turned down the O’s GM offer years ago and since then got many interviews. Interviewed with the Angels, Mets, Pirates and Astros for their GM jobs, and didn’t get another job offer. He doesn’t know if another opportunity will come, so if he gets the offer from Houston, I’m sure he takes it. I know I would and I’ve been calling for the stripping of the Astros WS.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Improved conditioning has Blue Jays' Guerrero Jr. feeling 'a lot stronger' - Sportsnet.ca
TORONTO – Soon after the off-season began, the testimonials started coming in. Those who had seen Vladimir Guerrero Jr. in person were quick to praise his conditioning. Everyone else observed from afar, scrutinizing Guerrero Jr.’s Instagram feed for hints that his off-season workouts were paying off.

But until Saturday, the 20-year-old third baseman hadn’t been heard from publicly. Last we heard, he was tired but determined to improve his conditioning. That was at the end of the 2019 season, a rookie year in which he flashed immense potential before fatigue slowed him down.

At Winter Fest Saturday, Guerrero Jr. said his efforts during last three and a half months are indeed paying off.

“Right now I feel a lot stronger,” he said. “Basically it’s my entire body. I feel a big change in me. I feel lighter and I’ll continue with that. There’s still one month to go before spring training, so I’m not done yet.”

In 2019, he hit .272 with 15 home runs and a 106 OPS+ on his way to a sixth-place finish in AL Rookie of the Year voting. On the other hand, he dealt with oblique and knee issues while struggling on defence at times.

Despite the up-and-down rookie year it’s reasonable to expect Guerrero Jr. can produce more in 2020. Generally speaking, stardom awaits the position players who hold their own against big-league pitching at age-20, but Guerrero Jr. knows it all starts with taking the field.

“I just want to be in the lineup every day,” he said. “The rest will come.”

A typical day for Guerrero Jr. involves baseball activities such as throwing, taking ground balls and hitting followed by time in the weight room and cardio work. While he did work out in previous off-seasons, this represents a more deliberate and consistent approach to training than in years past. Already, his teammates have taken note.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Houston has also shown they will provide the resources and conditions necessary to win and that's much more important to a player.

Reactions: Anthrax442

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Great defensive catcher with no bat as of late.

Likely depth for Buffalo.

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Great defensive catcher with no bat as of late.

Likely depth for Buffalo.

Cool. It always seemed likely they would sign a defense-first MLB veteran (a cheaper Maile, basically) on a minor league deal to split time with/mentor Adams in Buffalo.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Cool. It always seemed likely they would sign a defense-first MLB veteran (a cheaper Maile, basically) on a minor league deal to split time with/mentor Adams in Buffalo.

On my minor league deal wish list;
-Danny Salazar
-Taijuan Walker
-Steven Souza Jr.
-Cody Allen
-Aaron Sanchez
-Shelby Miller
-Jeremy Jeffries
-Dominic Leone
-Francisco Liriano

Other guys if interest who will likely get major league deals:
-Russell Martin
-Logan Forsythe
-Jason Kipnis
-Addison Russell
-Matt Joyce
-Jarrod Dyson
-Ben Zobrist
-Billy Hamilton

Will also have a weak spot for Granderson even if he was awful last year. Would offer him a coaching gig.

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Joseph still pretty young too at 26.

-Danny Salazar
-Taijuan Walker
-Steven Souza Jr.
-Cody Allen
-Aaron Sanchez
-Shelby Miller
-Jeremy Jeffries
-Dominic Leone
-Francisco Liriano

-Russell Martin
-Logan Forsythe
-Jason Kipnis
-Addison Russell
-Matt Joyce
-Jarrod Dyson
-Ben Zobrist
-Billy Hamilton

Will also have a weak spot for Granderson even if he was awful last year. Would offer him a coaching gig.

Joseph is 33...

While they could use a capable utility guy who can play SS, a Kipnis deal wouldn't surprise me at all. He can play some 2B and some CF, or it can allow them to try Biggio in CF. Not a perfect fit, but I would like it.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Joseph is 33...

While they could use a capable utility guy who can play SS, a Kipnis deal wouldn't surprise me at all. He can play some 2B and some CF, or it can allow them to try Biggio in CF. Not a perfect fit, but I would like it.

Went to a stat page and for some reason read 26, my bad. I thought he was a lot younger than 33, remember him being in the O's system and time flies.

Kipnis would make sense. Lefty bat, Shapiro knows him and can play 2B very well. Has experience in CF but has been pretty bad.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Went to a stat page and for some reason read 26, my bad. I thought he was a lot younger than 33, remember him being in the O's system and time flies.

Kipnis would make sense. Lefty bat, Shapiro knows him and can play 2B very well. Has experience in CF but has been pretty bad.

I have been lobbying for Kipnis or Dozier to be signed to help fix our OF. By acquiring either gives us the flexibility to try out Biggio in CF and placing either of them at 2B without creating a problem.

Both of them play average to above average D like Biggio at 2B, and both of them can still hit and put up decent numbers as Biggio did coming out of the 2B position. I would rather the Jays do this then go out and sign another OF (Puig), unless they can trade for Marte as that is my number one preference.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Wo
-Danny Salazar
-Taijuan Walker
-Steven Souza Jr.
-Cody Allen
-Aaron Sanchez
-Shelby Miller
-Jeremy Jeffries
-Dominic Leone
-Francisco Liriano

-Russell Martin
-Logan Forsythe
-Jason Kipnis
-Addison Russell
-Matt Joyce
-Jarrod Dyson
-Ben Zobrist
-Billy Hamilton

Would loveeee salazar. Absolute beast and IF healthy (huge IF) can easily provide 2/3 upside.

Reactions: Leafin

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Here's what Sox reportedly want in Betts trade

Per Olney, any deal for Betts must include David Price, with the acquiring team taking on most or all of the $96 million still owed to the left-hander over the next three seasons. And that's not all. The Red Sox also are asking for two high-end prospects.

So the Red Sox want your 2 best prospects and take on the Price contract for 1 year of Betts? Good Luck.

If Boston is willing to take Kay and a non-Pearson/Groshans/Manoah/SWR prospect back then i would do it. Would have to take back Anderson as some short term salary relief.

Got to think the Angels and Rockies might be invested in their team. Bite the bullet and make the trade and if it doesnt work out then you can trade Betts in season.

Milwaukee, the Mets, Phillies, Pads, Cards and Rangers might make sense to varying degrees.

Reactions: stickty111

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Here's what Sox reportedly want in Betts trade

So the Red Sox want your 2 best prospects and take on the Price contract for 1 year of Betts? Good Luck.

If Boston is willing to take Kay and a non-Pearson/Groshans/Manoah/SWR prospect back then i would do it. Would have to take back Anderson as some short term salary relief.

Got to think the Angels and Rockies might be invested in their team. Bite the bullet and make the trade and if it doesnt work out then you can trade Betts in season.

Milwaukee, the Mets, Phillies, Pads, Cards and Rangers might make sense to varying degrees.

Either their asking price will come down or they won't move them together. Price + Betts is probably a net zero value; Betts is great, but the Price contract is awful. Expecting to get a couple top prospects on top of that is nuts, but I'm sure Boston realizes that.

I still think they head into the season with both of them on the roster and (assuming they're out of it) move Betts at the deadline.

Reactions: phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Either their asking price will come down or they won't move them together. Price + Betts is probably a net zero value; Betts is great, but the Price contract is awful. Expecting to get a couple top prospects on top of that is nuts, but I'm sure Boston realizes that.

I still think they head into the season with both of them on the roster and (assuming they're out of it) move Betts at the deadline.

If we didnt land Ryu then i would have been interest in Price+Betts for Kay and another prospect but i doubt that is enough for the Red Sox and i doubt they want to move Betts to the Jays. Adding 60M in salary for 2020, 33M in 2021 and 2022 would be a lot and risky but it might be worth it. Especially since our core would be pre-arb years until 2023 and Price would be gone by then.

Even without Ryu i would still be tempted. If you dont think you can re-sign Betts then you flip him alone for better prospects than Kay and whoever you gave up - maybe an MLB ready OF. But if you could land Betts, you likely see what he can do with this team.

2020:
Ryu
Price
Roark
Anderson (could move him to save 8M)
Shoemaker (Could move him to save another 4M)

If not in contention, look to more Anderson, Shoemaker and/or Roark for prospects. Roll with Ryu, Pearson, Price, Thornton, Borucki/Yamaguchi to finish the season.

Sign Paxton or another 2/3 arm in the off-season.

2021 and 2022:
Pearson
Ryu
Price
Paxton
Thornton/Borucki/Yamaguchi

Reactions: Leafin

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The bat flip batting gloves and ball;

tYtaymr.jpg

Official certificate granting entrance to the American League for the Toronto Blue Jays. Also a ball signed by the original team, with Roy Hartsfield's autograph displayed prominently.

Reactions: ronzigato
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad