Blue Jays Discussion: Things happening this winter! (Jays sign Ryu, Shaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Im glad 1 person left jeter off the ballot. He deserves to be in hall of fame no doubt, but not unanimously. If Griffey jr wasnt, jeter doesnt deserve to be, he wasnt even the best ss of all time

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Groshans+Pardinho+Orelvis Martinez+ Teoscar Hernandez for Lindor. Sign Betts. Guerrero Jr. to 1B, Biggio to outfield

1. Biggio
2. Bichette
3. Betts
4. Guerrero Jr.
5. Lindor
6. Gurriel Jr.
7. Shaw
8. Tellez/Grichuck
9. Jansen

1. Pearson
2. Ryu
3. Anderson
4. Monoah/Kay/Borucki/Woods Richardson
5. Roark

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ozuna to Atlanta for 1 yr 18 mil

another great signing by the Braves. I’m suspect on the Will Smith signing but everything else has been great. Great offseason.

Smith
Hamels
D’arnaud
Ozuna
O’Day
Martin
Hech

Lost a 2nd round pick and 500k for signing Smith. Lost a 3rd pick and 500k for signing Ozuna.

Gained a 2nd round pick for losing Donaldson.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

These look pretty ugly but im an old man who doesnt like change.

Also the promotion schedule is out;

Toronto Blue Jays

I appreciate that the Blue Jays logo is on it. I've never really liked that a fairly generic maple leaf is the alternate cap logo when it has nothing to do with the team other than the fact that they're in Canada.

It's not great, but it's not awful. And Spring Training/BP caps are always exercises in creativity and testing ground anyway.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
walker getting in is the right call.he was like the biggio of the rockies killer bs/ you had galaraga helton bichette castilla not sure if matt holiday showed up after he got sent to stl and a few others i cant remember off the top of my head. but if he played in any of the larger markets i believe he would have been a shoe in. guy hit for over 300+ flirted with 400 almost won the triple crown and should go down as one of the best hitters of the 90s

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
another great signing by the Braves. I’m suspect on the Will Smith signing but everything else has been great. Great offseason.

Smith
Hamels
D’arnaud
Ozuna
O’Day
Martin
Hech

Lost a 2nd round pick and 500k for signing Smith. Lost a 3rd pick and 500k for signing Ozuna.

Gained a 2nd round pick for losing Donaldson.

I'm not a big fan of giving up the compensation for a one year deal, but it made sense since it was dropped down to a third rounder by the Smith signing. I wasn't a big fan of the Smith signing either, but overall I think the strategy works well for them this offseason; lots of nice improvements without committing much long term.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
I appreciate that the Blue Jays logo is on it. I've never really liked that a fairly generic maple leaf is the alternate cap logo when it has nothing to do with the team other than the fact that they're in Canada.

It's not great, but it's not awful. And Spring Training/BP caps are always exercises in creativity and testing ground anyway.

I agree with the ST and BP hats. You look around at other teams, particularly the older ones, they always have some previous patch/secondary logo that they can use for these (i.e the A's elephant or California Angels).

For the Jays, anything from 77-96 and 2012-present is kind of a play on the same design, so they don't have much to go on to bring something back from the past. The generic maple leaf was alright, IMO, it became recognizable as a "Jays thing" given that you see alot of those hats around, but beyond toying with the colors within the Jays color scheme there wasn't much more they could do I think.

On a personal preference level, I didn't really care for the white-paneled one from the past couple years since they changed materials. Much preferred the mesh used on the older verions. I'll reserve judgment on this one until I see them in the flesh.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I'm not a big fan of giving up the compensation for a one year deal, but it made sense since it was dropped down to a third rounder by the Smith signing. I wasn't a big fan of the Smith signing either, but overall I think the strategy works well for them this offseason; lots of nice improvements without committing much long term.

It’s exactly what I hope the Jays do.

Lock Vladdy and Bichette up to 8-10 year deals, like the Braves did with Acuna and Albies. And continuing to add low risk short term deals until you find the right commitments.

Though, to me, letting Donaldson walk was a mistake. You could have easily moved salary to make Donaldson and Ozuna fit this year.

Team and lineup would be stacked with no holes and a top farm to use to add an ace. To me it’s a big opportunity missed.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

I really like it. As you said, it’s better than just the maple leaf

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
walker getting in is the right call.he was like the biggio of the rockies killer bs/ you had galaraga helton bichette castilla not sure if matt holiday showed up after he got sent to stl and a few others i cant remember off the top of my head. but if he played in any of the larger markets i believe he would have been a shoe in. guy hit for over 300+ flirted with 400 almost won the triple crown and should go down as one of the best hitters of the 90s

Glad Walker got in; had been refreshing the ballot tracker the last couple days. If that guy donned a big-market's jersey he wouldn't have waited as long for sure.

I also love the Yankees fans' rage at Jeter not getting in unanimously, quite hilarious

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I agree with the ST and BP hats. You look around at other teams, particularly the older ones, they always have some previous patch/secondary logo that they can use for these (i.e the A's elephant or California Angels).

For the Jays, anything from 77-96 and 2012-present is kind of a play on the same design, so they don't have much to go on to bring something back from the past. The generic maple leaf was alright, IMO, it became recognizable as a "Jays thing" given that you see alot of those hats around, but beyond toying with the colors within the Jays color scheme there wasn't much more they could do I think.

On a personal preference level, I didn't really care for the white-paneled one from the past couple years since they changed materials. Much preferred the mesh used on the older verions. I'll reserve judgment on this one until I see them in the flesh.

I kinda wouldn't mind the Delgado/Green era "Muscle Jay" T as an alternate logo for this sort of secondary usage stuff. Sure it's silly, but those sorts of alternate logos are havens for goofball stuff or things that appeal to kids.

7948_toronto_blue_jays-primary_dark-2003.png

Reactions: ER89

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But what about that time he caught that ball in fair territory and then kept running so he had to hurl himself into the stands? Don't you remember that? The greatest play in the history of great plays?!

His signature play is the one where he cut off a perfectly on line throw to home plate and threw it to home plate himself to steal the glory.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
His signature play is the one where he cut off a perfectly on line throw to home plate and threw it to home plate himself to steal the glory.

Had the umpire not missed the fact that the runner was never tagged, that would be seen as one of the worst plays of all time (because the original throw would not have created the need to rush the tag)

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
He is fourth all-time among SS in fWAR (3rd if you don't include ARod's 3B years). Won 5 World Series (Mvp of one), 5 Silver Slugger awards, and 5 gold gloves (lol).

I know we like to think he's overrated...but he's not.

He's 6th, not 3rd. And the 6th best SS should not be a unanimous HoF. He's a HoF no doubt, but even suggesting unanimous is ridiculous when none of the 5 above him were.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
He is fourth all-time among SS in fWAR (3rd if you don't include ARod's 3B years). Won 5 World Series (Mvp of one), 5 Silver Slugger awards, and 5 gold gloves (lol).

The behavior listed here from Yankee fans is the kind of thing you'd expect from a Wayne-Gretzky level talent... And as you point out here, he's not even 1st amount shortstops in anything. I'm not arguing he doesn't belong in the HOF, I'm arguing that people STILL act like he was THE defining player of his generation. He's not.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

As usual with these things, it depends on your definition of "overrated". In general, I would say he is overrated because he's so often deified in the media and treated as some inner-circle superstar. He was a fantastic player, but among Hall of Famers he's not in some special tier.

He's on the same level as a guy like Barry Larkin, who was a superior player but was held back by injuries and didn't have the same team success.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
He's 6th, not 3rd. And the 6th best SS should not be a unanimous HoF. He's a HoF no doubt, but even suggesting unanimous is ridiculous when none of the 5 above him were.

The ridiculous thing is there is only one unanimous HoF player. The idea that no-brainer HoF players are left off ballots because some voter thinks that they shouldn't be a unanimous is so stupid.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->