Blue Jays Discussion: Things happening this winter! (Jays sign Ryu, Shaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Trade Janssen for a solid young OF and then maybe sign Russell Martin.

Reese McGuire and Russell Martin in the interim with Alejandro Kirk not far behind.

I'd trade McGuire before Jansen. Sell high on him before the high potential of his bat regressing to be more in line with his minor league performance. Jansen is also better insurance if Kirk doesn't work out.

The Panik signing hopefully is the end of Drury.

One can hope. But if they both have options then it's always good to be able to have contingencies upon contingencies.

Biggio had good defensive metrics at 2b, especially for a rookie. I'd leave him there.

Yeah. I'm not in favor of pulling him off 2nd until/unless he shows he can't cut it there. Or someone better and permanent displaces him.

I'm also honestly not convinced that this is as easily solved as moving Biggio to a position he's never played before on the premise that he should be OK without any real, credible proof (and where at times the closest thing to evidence seems to be "his dad managed it, so why not him?"

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Would suck to lose LaCava in off-season where we already lost Cherington and Sanders. But LaCava would deserve the opportunity.

LaCava and Gibby in Houston would be great.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta

Would suck to lose LaCava in off-season where we already lost Cherington and Sanders. But LaCava would deserve the opportunity.

any position filled within the astros org. Will end up being one of the most scrutinized and extensively watched(right fully so) for at least the next 5 years. not only are you gonna have the owners over your shoulder but Mlb as a whole will have a microscope combing through every damn thing you do

the pre game and post game interviews will be priceless cause it will be about the scandal time and time again

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
any position filled within the astros org. Will end up being one of the most scrutinized and extensively watched(right fully so) for at least the next 5 years. not only are you gonna have the owners over your shoulder but Mlb as a whole will have a microscope combing through every damn thing you do

the pre game and post game interviews will be priceless cause it will be about the scandal time and time again

I can’t see why Houston would hire from within as that person would be dealing with questions that they could answer.

Hiring from the outside to clean house from top to bottom is the right move and when anyone asks the new GM or Manager questions about the scandal they can easily say “I can’t comment as I wasn’t here.”

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

I don’t get the obsession with Biggio in CF. Sure as a backup option it wouldn’t be bad but still, let the guy learn 2B as he needs to get better at that position first.

We got 3 players who can play CF and if either of them pan out then you have a long term CFer making peanuts. 2 of those guys are out of options, they need at bats. Fisher and Alford and to a lesser extent Hernandez should own all at bat in CF until they prove they cannot be a MLB starter or platoon option.

If that fails then maybe start thinking about Cavan in CF. I can understand if we had a legit 2B prospect on the verge or someone else on the roster, but it makes no sense to play Biggio at 2B when he hasn’t even played 2B all that well.

Reactions: TootooTrain

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
I can’t see why Houston would hire from within as that person would be dealing with questions that they could answer.

Hiring from the outside to clean house from top to bottom is the right move and when anyone asks the new GM or Manager questions about the scandal they can easily say “I can’t comment as I wasn’t here.”

true but i can understand if people outside the org want no part of that . that stench is going to linger for a couple years. i can see people wanting to stay separated from that for the time being

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

I don’t get the obsession with Biggio in CF. Sure as a backup option it wouldn’t be bad but still, let the guy learn 2B as he needs to get better at that position first.

We got 3 players who can play CF and if either of them pan out then you have a long term CFer making peanuts. 2 of those guys are out of options, they need at bats. Fisher and Alford and to a lesser extent Hernandez should own all at bat in CF until they prove they cannot be a MLB starter or platoon option.

If that fails then maybe start thinking about Cavan in CF. I can understand if we had a legit 2B prospect on the verge or someone else on the roster, but it makes no sense to play Biggio at 2B when he hasn’t even played 2B all that well.

I agree. Let the Alford, Fisher, Hernandez give it one more go then maybe start discussing about moving Biggio. Personally, I would leave him there and then go after a CF. Unless his defense gets bad but I doubt that happens.

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I agree. Let the Alford, Fisher, Hernandez give it one more go then maybe start discussing about moving Biggio. Personally, I would leave him there and then go after a CF. Unless his defense gets bad but I doubt that happens.

We need it in the worst way because there aren’t many starting CF in free agency next year. And no I don’t think we will land Betts or a 31 year old Springer.

Even if Alford gives you a Pillar like bat with above average defense... still 1-2 fWAR player and that’s fine if the defense in CF is there. Same goes for Fisher.

Having 1 or even 2 of Fisher, Alford and Hernandez (might have already happened with Teoscar) prove you be 1.5 fWAR or better would be huge. Pretty much might only need one more bat next off season and the rest can go for another starter and pen arms.

Ryu
Pearson
Paxton
Roark
Thornton/Anderson/Borucki/Kay

Would be a nice rotation.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
If Altuve and/or Bregman struggle to start next season, there will be an incredible amount of awkward interviews, and I really hope that happens for entertainment sake (and karma).

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
For me there's no thought of moving Biggio off 2B until a Martinez/Hiraldo/Jimenez/other prospect is ready. If we still had Urena maybe I'd consider it. As for the new jerseys I like them but thankfully they're the alternates. Ideally they'd replace the grays as those are my least favourite

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
For me there's no thought of moving Biggio off 2B until a Martinez/Hiraldo/Jimenez/other prospect is ready. If we still had Urena maybe I'd consider it. As for the new jerseys I like them but thankfully they're the alternates. Ideally they'd replace the grays as those are my least favourite

Urena is really bad, though. (But I agree with your point that they don't really have anyone ready to step in at 2B.)

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
If Panik makes the team then he make 2.65M.

Both Panik (2) and Drury (1) have options left so it maybe interesting.
I like the Panik signing... if we must have marginal players on the roster... they should at least be new marginal players... and not last year's marginal players.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
In fairness, Ruben Tejada has everything (and more) that Urena brought to the table.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
In fairness, Ruben Tejada has everything (and more) that Urena brought to the table.
Urena love still puzzles me. He has been total dud in the upper minors and has done nothing to suggest he has much of an mlb career.

if you go into the season relying on Urena to be infield backup the season isn’t going to end well. Much rather see what Espinal (shown he can handle AA/AAA unlike Urena) or Panik (has some good years in the majors under his belt) can do since they have more proven track records and offer potential upside.

Reactions: stickty111

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017

Not sure why LaCava would want to leave for Houston unless it’s for financial reasons. You would be walking into a hornets nest with no high picks and you might have difficulty attracting free agents with all the cheaters that makeup the core of that team.

If the jays have success over the next few years then LaCava will have plenty of better opportunities to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad