The Wennberg thread, part 2

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Tell me, other than the amount of ice time he is CURRENTLY giving Wenny, what other aspects of Torts coaching do you like?

CBJ Without Alexander Wennberg Playing AT ALL >> CBJ With Wennberg Playing 15 (god forbid 20+) Minutes A Game
Are you kidding me with this shit right now? You can retain your hate but for the early part of the season Wennberg has been one of the few positives at forward. I'll jump back on my "Cam sucks" wagon for the moment. Here's a guy who isn't deserving of his ice time. Let's complain about players that are't playing up to expectation instead of complaining about players that aren't fitting your narrative of playing like they did last year so we'll ignore what can actually be seen on the ice vs what's in a box score.

And for those that don't know, I like Cam and think he's a really good player but all players should be seen in the present, not just the past.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Alexander Wennberg Stats and News

The "changed" "reborn" "more confident" Alexander Wennberg has all of zero shots on goal in his last 2 games spanning over 35 minutes TOI. For the season he has 12 SOG in 11 games. About his historical rate.

Same ole Al.

Has two great games = here’s why he’s actually NOT playing that well.

has two bad games = HA. He’s back to normal now guys.

He literally can’t please you. Idk why I visit this thread anymore.

Reactions: cslebn and Xoggz22

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
To paraphrase you, this is your LAST CHANCE to HOP on the WENNBERG FAN CLUB TRAIN.

I hope that you didn't get injured when the train derailed.

Al is tracking for 32 points with 18+ minutes TOI/game. He's a disaster.

Jarmo screwed the pooch again on a contract call. Wennberg should be a blip on the salary cap right now; not the center with 0:09 less TOI per game than PLD.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Jarmo screwed the pooch again on a contract call. Wennberg should be a blip on the salary cap right now; not the center with 0:09 less TOI per game than PLD.

Not that I disagree with you in that AW hasn't been very good lately, but what other center on this roster is going to eat those minutes right now? It's not like Jenner or Nash have done anything notable. We sorely lack top-end center depth outside of Pierre Luc "The Moose".

Reactions: Viqsi

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Not that I disagree with you in that AW hasn't been very good lately, but what other center on this roster is going to eat those minutes right now? It's not like Jenner or Nash have done anything notable. We sorely lack top-end center depth outside of Pierre Luc "The Moose".

In any case, almost 19 minutes per game is absurd for Wennberg. It almost guarantees a scoring rate of less than 3 goals per game.

The problem is that the GM kept him on the roster to begin with. He made his "all in" decision EARLY LAST SEASON. He knew (or should have known) that the team was woefully weak at center. He did nothing-except waste a first round pick on Duchene. Duchene had no intention of staying in Columbus.

To do nothing over the course of the off season to shore up center when the team had plenty of cap room is inexcusable. All he had to do was secure a #2 or good #3 center. Instead we got empty promises about Bemstrom. Buying out Wennberg would have added another $4+ million of cap space. Jarmo can't deal with the fact that 4 of his first round picks (Wennberg, Rychel, Dano and probably Milano) were wasted picks. He needed to fess up to his bad pick and contract and rid the team of Wennberg. But he's stubborn and delusional about Wennberg. Torts will pay the price for the Finn's arrogance and stupidity. The whole team is right now.

I don't believe that Torts wants to play Wennberg as much as he has. Almost 19 minutes TOI reeks of front office "direction".

The scoring issues on this team are *mostly* not of Tort's doing. The GM provided him with a substandard group of centers and did nothing to improve his wingers group.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
In any case, almost 19 minutes per game is absurd for Wennberg. It almost guarantees a scoring rate of less than 3 goals per game.

The problem is that the GM kept him on the roster to begin with. He made his "all in" decision EARLY LAST SEASON. He knew (or should have known) that the team was woefully weak at center. He did nothing-except waste a first round pick on Duchene. Duchene had no intention of staying in Columbus.

To do nothing over the course of the off season to shore up center when the team had plenty of cap room is inexcusable. All he had to do was secure a #2 or good #3 center. Instead we got empty promises about Bemstrom. Buying out Wennberg would have added another $4+ million of cap space. Jarmo can't deal with the fact that 4 of his first round picks (Wennberg, Rychel, Dano and probably Milano) were wasted picks. He needed to fess up to his bad pick and contract and rid the team of Wennberg. But he's stubborn and delusional about Wennberg. Torts will pay the price for the Finn's arrogance and stupidity. The whole team is right now.

I don't believe that Torts wants to play Wennberg as much as he has. Almost 19 minutes TOI reeks of front office "direction".

The scoring issues on this team are not of Tort's doing. The GM provided him with a substandard group of centers.
Sorry bro but we have seen first hand if Torts doesnt want to play a player, he wont play that player. This is all on Torts, and his BS double standard. Milano has been our best forward along with PLD, and just finally this last game got the minutes he deserves, after getting yanked up and down like a toilet seat. Same with Bjork, same with Dzingel. Yet Foligno can make the stupidest pass of all time which leads to the game winner last night, and hes right back out there the next powerplay, god only knows why . I do think Jarmo should have cut the dead weight this summer, but I cant imagine there was a trade partner.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
There are a couple really capable ones in Cleveland that probably become an instant upgrade. They could have brought up Dalpe. My guess is we will see Texier transition to center as he returns. At that point Jarmo most likely moves Wennberg, as he and Nash are redundant . Both are solid defensively, and offer very little offensively .

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Sorry bro but we have seen first hand if Torts doesnt want to play a player, he wont play that player. This is all on Torts, and his BS double standard. Milano has been our best forward along with PLD, and just finally this last game got the minutes he deserves, after getting yanked up and down like a toilet seat. Same with Bjork, same with Dzingel. Yet Foligno can make the stupidest pass of all time which leads to the game winner last night, and hes right back out there the next powerplay, god only knows why . I do think Jarmo should have cut the dead weight this summer, but I cant imagine there was a trade partner.

Maybe. Maybe not in Wennberg's case. I'm speculating on this, I know.

Agree completely about your points about Milano and Foligno. I think Foligno's overuse has hurt his game immensely. Foligno at 14-15 minutes per game would be ideal. He's still got a lot in him to give-but not 18 minutes per game worth. Foligno also has the pressures of being Captain on him which I think weigh heavily upon him. He's being asked to do too much.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Maybe. Maybe not in Wennberg's case. I'm speculating on this, I know.

Agree completely about your points about Milano and Foligno. I think Foligno's overuse has hurt his game immensely. Foligno at 14-15 minutes per game would be ideal. He's still got a lot in him to give-but not 18 minutes per game worth. Foligno also has the pressures of being Captain on him which I think weigh heavily upon him. He's being asked to do too much.
What about Jones and Werenski , same thing. And Garikov should absolutely getting more minutes.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
What about Jones and Werenski , same thing. And Garikov should absolutely getting more minutes.

The problem with limited Jones and Werenski is that this is an offensively challenged team. Garikov might have some offensive potential, but potential ain't gonna cut it with this team. They need every goal they can get and Z and Jones offer the only decent offensive capabilities among the dmen.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There are a couple really capable ones in Cleveland that probably become an instant upgrade. They could have brought up Dalpe.
Dalpe is not a Wennberg replacement by any stretch of imagination. Even when he's terrified of the net, Wennberg is at least a good defensive third-liner. Dalpe is good in the AHL, but has trouble with anything beyond fill-in minutes at the wing at the NHL level.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Dalpe is not a Wennberg replacement by any stretch of imagination. Even when he's terrified of the net, Wennberg is at least a good defensive third-liner. Dalpe is good in the AHL, but has trouble with anything beyond fill-in minutes at the wing at the NHL level.

I get the frustration with his offensive game, especially due to his contract, but the "he's not even an NHL player" narrative is so wrong. Even if this is the Wennberg we get, we get a solid 3rd line defensive center with some offensive output, making 2nd liner money. There's worse things to have.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Torts, who reamed him out on the bench? Who spoke in arcane terminology about his relationship with the player?

Besides, I thought this was all because he's Jarmo's chosen one? I'm so easily confused.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I get the frustration with his offensive game, especially due to his contract, but the "he's not even an NHL player" narrative is so wrong. Even if this is the Wennberg we get, we get a solid 3rd line defensive center with some offensive output, making 2nd liner money. There's worse things to have.
Yea for a team battling for a playoff spot. On a Cup contender he's more likely a very good 4th at his current play, thus a good reflection of unfortunately where we are.

Wennberg hacks me off. We saw whT he's cpble of in the first 5 or 6 games, but he just fails to commit to that level.

Reactions: EspenK

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

It's really more of a rickshaw but to be clear, there's still room to hop on If YoUrE iNtErEsTeD!

Reactions: cslebn

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Time for the jackets to end this experiment , and move Bemstrom to center . Wennberg is who we all thought he is ...... a player that likes being a hockey player , but is afraid to possess the puck . Maybe the hit in the Washington series was the straw that broke the camels back , but he’s going to wash out of the league

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Time for the jackets to end this experiment , and move Bemstrom to center . Wennberg is who we all thought he is ...... a player that likes being a hockey player , but is afraid to possess the puck . Maybe the hit in the Washington series was the straw that broke the camels back , but he’s going to wash out of the league

Huh? Didn't he play wing in Sweden?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I really don't think he can win with this group of fans. I think he's playing fine. He's doing well defensively and is contributing on the PK, and most surprisingly has been very steady at faceoffs. Would he be better served as our 3C (an expensive one at that)? Yeah, I think so. But I think he's been worlds better than what he was last year, and that's all I wanted. He still leaves a lot to be desired offensively, especially due to the amount of minutes and offensive situations he's put into, but I am okay with how he's played.

Would it be more ideal for him to play less and be our 3C? Yeah. I think a C lineup of PLD-??-Wennberg-Jenner would be fantastic depth with a lot of options to play many different ways depending on the opponent, and ability to role all 4 lines with confidence. But that's not reality right now.

But I also think people are being way overly critical....just because its Wennberg. For all the bitching Wennberg gets he's got more shots than Texier (yes, I am aware he was injured. I am also aware Texier has been benched for certain periods of time) and yet I don't hear much complaining about him. We were relying on Wennberg to be the player he was 2-3 years ago, right? Weren't we also relying on Texier to step in and be a top 6 forward? Some even called him a Calder trophy dark horse. Not a peep about him.

Not saying people should turn their attention to Texier and roast him, because I think he's been OK. But I think people are overly critical of Wennberg (and I also think the FSO team has been overly praising of Wennberg). I also find it strange that there appears to be people actively rooting against him, like they'd rather be right and he gets traded/bought out than hope he succeeds for the team.

There's a middle ground, and I'd like to think I'm in it. He hasn't been what they were counting on, but he's done well enough for me to consider him a solid 3rd line defensive player with occasional offensive output (and has untapped offensive upside, which may never surface). Maybe that's just who he is, and although he makes a lot of money for that role, it's better to know that and plan around it (whether that be putting him in a 3rd line role or trading him) than continuing to beat our head in and hope something different happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad