The Wennberg thread, part 2

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
It seems to me that what u r saying is that he is a young version of Dubinsky. My response to that is that the Dubie contract is bad for the franchise but will be over soon. Wennberg, by contrast could b a dead weight loss on this franchise for many years to come drawing the salary of a 2C while providing the performance e of. 4C

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It seems to me that what u r saying is that he is a young version of Dubinsky. My response to that is that the Dubie contract is bad for the franchise but will be over soon. Wennberg, by contrast could b a dead weight loss on this franchise for many years to come drawing the salary of a 2C while providing the performance e of. 4C

I was more thinking along the lines of Malhotra.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would subsequently point out that much of why the Dubi contract is that bad is because Dubi is fading really really fast.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think it could be said that Dubie is a good player whose time has passed while Wennberg is a never will be.

Reactions: thebus88

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
All the while taking 18 shots...4 more shots than Murray.

EDIT: Nash has 11! Jenner 35 WOW

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If Wennberg is the worst contract on the team in a couple of years, we will be in a better situation with respect to contracts than 30 (soon to be 31) teams in the NHL and probably many teams in other leagues as well.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Just a reminder that I'd had already seen enough of the dude 4 years ago.

Swedish Filatov

No matter who we lost, its crazy to think we used a protection spot on the guy in the expansion draft.

Bring back Dubinsky

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Elite passer Alexander Wennberg has one assist in his last 13 games. 18+ TOI during this stretch.

He can't score goals, he is soft and his passing isn't what it's cracked up to be. The great GM who didn't buy him out last off season keeps showing us how brilliant he is.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Elite passer Alexander Wennberg has one assist in his last 13 games. 18+ TOI during this stretch.

He can't score goals, he is soft and his passing isn't what it cracked up to be. The great GM who didn't buy him out lasat off season keeps showing us how brilliant he is.

What exactly would we have gained by a Wennberg buyout? The club is not short of $$.

The guy who is slated to take Wennberg's role is Texier, and if Texier outperforms Wennberg and Torts refuses to move ice time from Wennberg to Texier, I could see some advantage in just getting Wennberg out of the way. But the coach over the summer was open about Wennberg not having much rope left, that he would give the reins to Texier if their play merited it. And Wennberg had a strong start over the first few weeks of the season, and Texier has tailed off just as Wennberg has in the last couple weeks. There is no addition by subtraction here.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
What exactly would we have gained by a Wennberg buyout? The club is not short of $$.

The guy who is slated to take Wennberg's role is Texier, and if Texier outperforms Wennberg and Torts refuses to move ice time from Wennberg to Texier, I could see some advantage in just getting Wennberg out of the way. But the coach over the summer was open about Wennberg not having much rope left, that he would give the reins to Texier if their play merited it. And Wennberg had a strong start over the first few weeks of the season, and Texier has tailed off just as Wennberg has in the last couple weeks. There is no addition by subtraction here.
Creating a universe where it becomes a simple choice between wennberg and textier is very convenient for a Jarmo defense. But it is faulty. The reality is that Mr All In knew his offense would need help over the summer and signing Nyquist was all he did. He could have done much more and didn't. He has no excuses for his inaction. Your phony contrived dichotomy doesn't alter this.

A manager who relied on Wennberg for his team to be competitive committed a "fireable offense ". It was an abominable decision and the results were highly predictable.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Creating a universe where it becomes a simple choice between wennberg abs textier is very convenient for a Jarmo defense. But it is faulty. The reality is that Mr All In knew his offense would need help over the summer and signing Nyquist was all he did. He could have done much more and didn't. He has no excuses for his inaction. Your phony contrived dichotomy doesn't alter this.

A manager who relied on Wennberg for his team to be competitive committed a "fireable offense ". It was an abominable decision and the results were highly predictable.

I doubt expectations were that high for Wennberg or that there was any relying on Wennberg as a vital piece of the offensive puzzle for this year. Torts spoke about moving Wennberg back to the pressbox if he wasn't up for the job. I think Jarmo was looking for big upgrades and didn't want to lard up the lineup with middling acquisitions that would block Texier and Bemstrom. Wennberg is getting a second chance here, and he's in the flux along with Texier to see what we have, and he'll be out of the lineup if his game worsens.

It's hard to know what was available for what last summer (I did frequently mention wanting Haula, and the price sure looked beatable), but in any case complaining about Jarmo's lack of acquisitions last summer would seem to be a different complaint. It's just being shoehorned in here, more unfair Wennberg scapegoating.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's hard to know what was available for what last summer (I did frequently mention wanting Haula, and the price sure looked beatable), but in any case complaining about Jarmo's lack of acquisitions last summer would seem to be a different complaint. It's just being shoehorned in here, more unfair Wennberg scapegoating.

Nothing "scapegoating" about it. He's part of a weak equation (the CBJ forward group as a whole).

People who understand hockey wanted him gone last year. His deficiencies were obvious. They had been an ongoing problem. Players don't magically change their psychology and playing styles at age 25. You are who you are by that age.

Maybe Jarmo thinks he has mystical powers to change players at Wennberg's age. He's that arrogant.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If you haven't changed your tune on Wennberg, then you are clearly biased, because it might as well be a different player out there than what we saw last year.

Maintaining the same opinions on hockey players, even as results sharply change, is not a virtue.

This hasn't aged very well.

Reactions: thebus88

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
With all due respect Major, after the first 5 or 6 games, Wennberg has returned to being the "same old Wennberg",

Reactions: Dumais

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
With all due respect Major, after the first 5 or 6 games, Wennberg has returned to being the "same old Wennberg",
Well, except that his shot attempts are up (albeit not yet at where they should be), and he's been one of the best faceoff guys we have. He did kind of slow down about 8 games in, but seems to be picking it back up, even if the puck isn't going in again yet.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
You are right his faceoff improvement in significant. Not sure I agree with you about his other offensive dimensions.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This hasn't aged very well.

It was a statement about how he was playing at that time. We were debating how he was playing at that time. How that statement "ages" doesn't change later regardless of whether he wins the Conn Smythe or gets thrown out of professional hockey at some later date.

It's like you quoted a news report from last summer describing things being shut down in a heat wave, and said "this hasn't aged very well". Disingenuous.

Me rn:

That would imply that for the first 5 or 6 games he wasn't playing like the "same old Wennberg", which is precisely what the debate was about (the quote is from a month ago). I said he was playing differently, CR said he was playing the same. Thank you for taking my side of things.

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad