The Wennberg thread, part 2

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wennberg has now gone 86 regular season games without an even strength goal.

His last even strength goal came on March 20, 2018.

No wonder he's averaging 18 minutes of ice time per game.
IMO he's just a microcosm of the team right now - looks pretty decent, definitely has a lot of drive, creating plenty of chances, but ultimately not getting the results. If he keeps it up, the goals will come. That is, however, a bit of a significant "if" given his history.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wennberg has now gone 86 regular season games without an even strength goal.

His last even strength goal came on March 20, 2018.

No wonder he's averaging 18 minutes of ice time per game.

I'll go out on a limb and say his ice time is not coming from how he played last year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Put Texier at 2C and bench Wennberg or at least place him on the 4th line. Dude is a bust.

He's only centering what's been the best line on the team. Granted, Texier and Bjorkstrand are pushing that but if Wennberg was the awful succubus portrayed here it wouldn't be a successful unit.

If this version of Wennberg is all people saw, there wouldn't be threads about him. This thread is a hangover from last year's performance. That's not to say that he won't eventually bust, but we're not seeing it in games 1-4.

His TOI is most likely a function of front office "direction".

Keeping him on the team was a FO decision, but I highly doubt Jarmo can spell out TOI to Torts, that is a clear crossing of the boundaries between them. It's Torts' decision.

Wennberg's first game didn't have that high of a TOI, only 11:36 at 5v5. It went up in recent games, which tells me that good performance of the line is why we're seeing more of Wennberg, not some decision that was made over the summer.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Keeping him on the team was a FO decision, but I highly doubt Jarmo can spell out TOI to Torts, that is a clear crossing of the boundaries between them. It's Torts' decision.

Wennberg's first game didn't have that high of a TOI, only 11:36 at 5v5. It went up in recent games, which tells me that good performance of the line is why we're seeing more of Wennberg, not some decision that was made over the summer.

You or I have no idea why he's getting his time on ice. It's speculation on my part and your's. The notion that a FO never directs/offers "suggestions"/makes directives about player usage is naive.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You or I have no idea why he's getting his time on ice. It's speculation on my part and your's. The notion that a FO never directs/offers "suggestions"/makes directives about player usage is naive.

I never said they wouldn't offer their suggestions, but you can't overrule a coach's decision on TOI.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
He's only centering what's been the best line on the team. Granted, Texier and Bjorkstrand are pushing that but if Wennberg was the awful succubus portrayed here it wouldn't be a successful unit.

If this version of Wennberg is all people saw, there wouldn't be threads about him. This thread is a hangover from last year's performance. That's not to say that he won't eventually bust, but we're not seeing it in games 1-4.

Amazing, then, that at 5v5 Wennberg trails in basically every advanced stat from his linemates - CF, xGF, etc.

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005

If this version of Wennberg is all people saw, there wouldn't be threads about him.

Now that's wishful thinking

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Wennberg is doing NOTHING to make those 2 players or that line (or the team) ANY better. They would be better off with any other center, Nash included. Both guys are losing PP time to Wennberg, and quite frankly I'd rather see Texier on the PK also.

Do we even have a consensus now, is Wenny an offensive player or a defensive player? Or neither?

A.... just there player.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I legit thought Wennberg was outstanding in our win, and I thought he was par for the team last game. That rocket he put on net last game, teed up by Jones, does he do that a year ago?

Well, are you literally praising him for a shot on goal? What does/did he do that's so outstanding? Creates nothing on the ice for such a creative player. Not bad is now considered good for Wennberg??

He plays like a veteran on his last contract.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well, are you literally praising him for a shot on goal? What does/did he do that's so outstanding? Creates nothing on the ice for such a creative player. Not bad is now considered good for Wennberg??

He plays like a veteran on his last contract.

Screens, faceoff wins (54% so far this year), takeaways, etc... Lots of little things. Picked up a couple assists tonight though the second one was a phantom assist. Most important is just good defense. The other club has been shutout 5 v 5 with Wennberg on the ice so far this year.

Reactions: Viqsi

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
Screens, faceoff wins (54% so far this year), takeaways, etc... Lots of little things. Picked up a couple assists tonight though the second one was a phantom assist. Most important is just good defense. The other club has been shutout 5 v 5 with Wennberg on the ice so far this year.

We just have to hope Seattle takes him.

Major, this is exactly why I don't post much on this. You use specifics of Alex's abilities complete with stats and the next post is a mindless I hate the the player because, words. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Small sample size is small.

It sounds like you're describing a Nash or Dubinsky 4th line center type. Wennberg is a $4.9m/year center being used on the 2nd line @ 18+ minutes a game. We need more than just the "little things" from him.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Major, this is exactly why I don't post much on this. You use specifics of Alex's abilities complete with stats and the next post is a mindless I hate the the player because, words. [mod]

4 games lol. We have a much larger sample size of stats that say he isn't worth his salary. I'll take 130 games of a sample size in 2 years over the last 2 weeks.
Who are you going to expose to Seattle to keep Alex "little things" Wennberg??? Josh Anderson? Cam? Tex?

And for the record I don't hate Wennberg, I don't hate anyone. I'm a fan of using common sense. His contract makes him expendable, at $2-3 million it's more palatable.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Small sample size is small.

It sounds like you're describing a Nash or Dubinsky 4th line center type. Wennberg is a $4.9m/year center being used on the 2nd line @ 18+ minutes a game. We need more than just the "little things" from him.

I would never describe Dubinsky that way. :laugh: He'd be -8 by now playing those minutes.

I think completely shutting out the other team is something that merits a lot of minutes. If you can keep the game scoreless for 40 minutes and run out your top unit the other 20, you're probably going to win a lot of games.

And so far at least, Wennberg's units (probably more credit to Bjorkstrand who has been amazing) have been scoring goals. No one has more at 5 v 5.

4 games lol. We have a much larger sample size of stats that say he isn't worth his salary. I'll take 130 games of a sample size in 2 years over the last 2 weeks.
Who are you going to expose to Seattle to keep Alex "little things" Wennberg??? Josh Anderson? Cam? Tex?

And for the record I don't hate Wennberg, I don't hate anyone. I'm a fan of using common sense. His contract makes him expendable, at $2-3 million it's more palatable.

I'm not saying he is amazing now, or that he was anything more than dogshit last year. Or that he should be protected in the expansion draft. Or that he's worth $4.9m per. He might still get bought out in June.

This thread was started with the haters immediately on the attack, seemingly oblivious to how Wennberg has been playing this year. All I'm saying is he's doing some good things. People denying that are not using common sense, they're hating. It's obvious.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Fact.....Dubinsky had a big role/part in making the playoffs and winning games in the playoffs last year, NOT WENNY.

Fact.... Wennberg is only 1 of 5 Jackets players when he's on the ice. That's .20/20% for the decimal folks, and quite frankly his impact should be seen as smaller since that leaves out the goalie, the extra impact the defense has on not allowing goals, and the fact that Wennberg is almost always the least impactful player on his line, playing center and extra aware, or not.

Personally, I HATE the dude takes up $5 million in cap, and is given TONS of opportunities that COMPLETELY AFFECTS the effectiveness and perception of the ENTIRE CBJ TEAM.

He's LESS of a CBJ (or Torts) type player than Sonny f***in Milano. Give me Dalpe or Sedlak.

Wennberg Thread Part 1: Poor Mans Backstrom --- Wennberg Thread Part 2: Poor Mans Sammy Pahlsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->