The Wennberg thread, part 2

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Wenny sure does have a loyal fanbase.... when he's playing well.

To me, these new comments early in the season are simply nothing more than a new easy to find batch of copy n pastes.

I still question just how good he really has been this year, and quite frankly -just like when I was wrong in the past, before I was then right, before now being wrong again- I just don't see the things some of you see with the dude.

Good skater, good passer, decent ''vision'', decent hands, that's it.

I hate the way he plays defensively/on the PK and his actual defensive skill (or awareness) is severely overrated by some. Same goes with his faceoff skill, that didn't magically get good over the summer at the ****ing World Championships.

Who is he taking faceoffs against, in relation to Jenner and Dubois??

Wennberg gets CARRIED on every line he's on, those 2 guys do the CARRYING.

I'm trying to stay outta this but COME ON...

Dubois >>>>>>> Wennberg

To paraphrase you, this is your LAST CHANCE to HOP on the WENNBERG FAN CLUB TRAIN.

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
Really impressed with his mindset and ability this year. The team sorely needed one of their own guys to step up and, so far, Wenneberg has been a godsend.

Hilariously, the Jackets look better down the middle of the ice than at any point when they had Duchene.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Last night was 16% in face offs. Scored a goal that any left handed player would have scored who was in the set position he was. Did make a nice pass to #14 in the 3 on 3 exhibition. I thought that he was invisible most of the game save the goal and the pass in OT. -1 in +/-. Give the man a ticket tape parade!

21+ minutes of an Alexander Wennberg is not a winning team's equation. Enjoy it while it lasts. It's a major league dead cat bounce.

Reactions: thebus88

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Hopefully Alex has got things figured out now. We'll need all the help we can get to help replace the scoring lost in the off-season.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Last night was 16% in face offs. Scored a goal that any left handed player would have scored who was in the set position he was. Did make a nice pass to #14 in the 3 on 3 exhibition. I thought that he was invisible most of the game save the goal and the pass in OT. -1 in +/-. Give the man a ticket tape parade!

21+ minutes of an Alexander Wennberg is not a winning team's equation. Enjoy it while it lasts. It's a major league dead cat bounce.

I don't see anybody here planning a parade, but after years of shitting on the guy can't we enjoy this bit of success/improvement/whatever you want to call it? I'm not yet willing to rule out that this is the new Wennberg, not an anomaly from the same old.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't see anybody here planning a parade, but after years of ****ting on the guy can't we enjoy this bit of success/improvement/whatever you want to call it? I'm not yet willing to rule out that this is the new Wennberg, not an anomaly from the same old.

Just doin my best to keep things on an even keel.:DD

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Yes, it was an ugly night on the draws.

I think you are completely wrong that any left handed player scores that goal, I don't think a goal comes from that most of the time even. If a player shot the puck from where it lay it would not have gone in, Andersen's pad was directly in front of it. Wennberg actually wraps it around the left pad and into the five-hole. A subtle play that requires some cool nerves.

The -1, by the way, was for the shorthanded goal which was clearly not on him. At evens he shut out Matthews/Marner and whoever else was out there against him, and was a plus in the corsi and expected goals columns despite getting caved in on draws. You don't get credit for pluses on penalty shot goals, even if you set up the breakaway, and you don't get pluses for powerplay goals. So yeah, it's misleading.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yes, it was an ugly night on the draws.

I think you are completely wrong that any left handed player scores that goal, I don't think a goal comes from that most of the time even. If a player shot the puck from where it lay it would not have gone in, Andersen's pad was directly in front of it. Wennberg actually wraps it around the left pad and into the five-hole. A subtle play that requires some cool nerves.

The -1, by the way, was for the shorthanded goal which was clearly not on him. At evens he shut out Matthews/Marner and whoever else was out there against him, and was a plus in the corsi and expected goals columns despite getting caved in on draws. You don't get credit for pluses on penalty shot goals, even if you set up the breakaway, and you don't get pluses for powerplay goals. So yeah, it's misleading.

Trying to make the goal shot appear to be a massive demonstration of skill is ridiculous.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Trying to make the goal shot appear to be a massive demonstration of skill is ridiculous.

"Massive" is your word, not mine.

Watch it at quarter speed. He moves the puck before shooting it. If this is Jenner or plenty of other LH shots that puck would probably be whacked into the pad / glove of the goaltender.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
"Massive" is your word, not mine.

Watch it at quarter speed. He moves the puck before shooting it. If this is Jenner or plenty of other LH shots that puck would probably be whacked into the pad / glove of the goaltender.

Sorry, major. It is a goal most LH players score. It's not a big deal goal. At all. At any speed.

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
If Wennberg can play up to his potential, I do think it makes this team massively better.

He does have some pretty decent hockey skills and he has upped his skating speed drastically this year, if the 11:05 2-mile 'Torts run' to open camp wasn't enough of a hint. Dude clearly busted his ass in the offseason. Let's hope his solid play continues.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Wennberg can play up to his potential, I do think it makes this team massively better.

He does have some pretty decent hockey skills and he has upped his skating speed drastically this year, if the 11:05 2-mile 'Torts run' to open camp wasn't enough of a hint. Dude clearly busted his ass in the offseason. Let's hope his solid play continues.

Naw he's always been the fastest runner. The changes happened between his ears.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wennberg is actually tracking behind last year's abysmal numbers at ES.

Alexander Wennberg NHL Advanced Statistics (Even Strength) | Hockey-Reference.com

He has 1 goal and ZERO assists for ONE POINT at even strength in NINE GAMES
. While getting 12-14 minutes TOI per game (my estimate). Helluva playmaker this Al guy is. NO ASSISTS at ES. ZERO.

He's a mainstay on the 25th ranked PP in the league. Yippee.

Let's give it a rest about his resurgence. It's the same ole Al with some padded numbers due to a lot of PP time.

They must have a coding problem at hockey reference. That's just false.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
They must have a coding problem at hockey reference. That's just false.
Noted.

He has 1g 2a at NHL.com. That appears to be accurate. The 2 assists vs. Carolina appear to have been not counted as ES points by hockey reference. He's tracking at 27 ES points/82 games based on the nhl.com info.

Corsica | Skater Stats

He's 194th among forwards at pts/60 minutes at this point. A 3rd liner level of performance despite getting first line minutes.

Corsica hockey needs to step it up. Terrible site to navigate.

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
To be fair to Wennberg, it can take a long time to come back from a concussion/hit as big as that Wilson hit in the playoffs was. I know he wasn't great that season either, but he was one of our best players in those first 2 games against the Caps before that hit. If it was lingering confidence issues resulting from that concussion/hit, I totally understand it. If he's gotten past that, it's great for us, and I'm going to reserve the right to say he has gotten over a confidence issue until further notice.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Noted.

He has 1g 2a at NHL.com. That appears to be accurate. The 2 assists vs. Carolina appear to have been not counted as ES points by hockey reference. He's tracking at 27 ES points/82 games based on the nhl.com info.

Corsica | Skater Stats

He's 194th among forwards at pts/60 minutes at this point. A 3rd liner level of performance despite getting first line minutes.

Corsica hockey needs to step it up. Terrible site to navigate.
He also had that bomb pass to Nyquist to set up the penalty shot, so I'm willing to give him half an ES point for that one. :)

Here's some other players with 3 or fewer ES points so far, for reference:
  • Nick Backstrom
  • Aleksander Barkov
  • Claude Giroux
  • Elias Lindholm
  • Jake Voracek
  • Jamie Benn
Just saying. We're 9 games in. Did you expect Wennberg to be excellent defensively, while having 5 points in the first 9 games?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He also had that bomb pass to Nyquist to set up the penalty shot, so I'm willing to give him half an ES point for that one. :)

Here's some other players with 3 or fewer ES points so far, for reference:
  • Nick Backstrom
  • Aleksander Barkov
  • Claude Giroux
  • Elias Lindholm
  • Jake Voracek
  • Jamie Benn
Just saying. We're 9 games in. Did you expect Wennberg to be excellent defensively, while having 5 points in the first 9 games?

We'll check back on the players you made comparisons to after game 40, ok;)

I'll continue to hammer home the fact that he is getting a ton of minutes for very mediocre production. Bekuz thatz the fax jack.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Wow okay.

Who is a better passer on this team than Wennberg?

Wennberg is starting the periods and in clutch situations, so I would imagine, without looking at stats that he's facing teams top centers...and you're right, he didn't magically get betyer, he put in the work and it's obviously paying off.

Your bias is so unreal dude, at least CR can admit to when his play has changed.

Tell me, other than the amount of ice time he is CURRENTLY giving Wenny, what other aspects of Torts coaching do you like?

CBJ Without Alexander Wennberg Playing AT ALL >> CBJ With Wennberg Playing 15 (god forbid 20+) Minutes A Game

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
To paraphrase you, this is your LAST CHANCE to HOP on the WENNBERG FAN CLUB TRAIN.

Hilarious.......Korpisalo is the real deal, unlike Wenny.

There's a paraphrase for you.

Cant wait for the trade, glad that trade value is being bumped up.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Hilarious.......Korpisalo is the real deal, unlike Wenny.

There's a paraphrase for you.

Cant wait for the trade, glad that trade value is being bumped up.

Who do you realistically think they would get for korp tho?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Tell me, other than the amount of ice time he is CURRENTLY giving Wenny, what other aspects of Torts coaching do you like?

CBJ Without Alexander Wennberg Playing AT ALL >> CBJ With Wennberg Playing 15 (god forbid 20+) Minutes A Game
Well the record suggests they are a winning team so far with Wennberg leading the way so I don't know how you came to that conclusion. And this had absolutely nothing to do with my opinion of Torts? His record speaks for itself you don't luck your way into being the winningest American coach in nhl history. Sorry if I take his opinion over some random person on the internet.

Yes Wennberg is currently the#1 by TOI, but everyone knows that changes on a game by game basis unless you are an Superstar in the league you're going to have hot and cold streaks. In Wennbergs case he multiple young hungry kids waiting behind him to take that spot if he messes up and it's inevitable that he will at some point this season. There is no defined 1,2,3 on this roster. And we really only ever had one because we had Panarin for 2 years. And so whoever was on his line was getting a huge chunk of minutes.
"Pretty Passer" OR "Effective Passer"...??

Serious Question.

A lot of times effective passing is "pretty passing". It's making the pass through and in tight spaces, through skates and sauced over a stick or looking one way and passing it the other way because the D is reading your eyes. That's why he gets the ice time he does. When he's confident and aggressive there isn't a better playmaker on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad