The Wennberg thread, part 2

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
4 games lol. We have a much larger sample size of stats that say he isn't worth his salary. I'll take 130 games of a sample size in 2 years over the last 2 weeks.
Who are you going to expose to Seattle to keep Alex "little things" Wennberg??? Josh Anderson? Cam? Tex?

And for the record I don't hate Wennberg, I don't hate anyone. I'm a fan of using common sense. His contract makes him expendable, at $2-3 million it's more palatable.

I think we protect PLD, Cam, Bjork, Andy, Tex, as forwards for sure plus 2 others.. That only leaves 3 D to protect. If we go 4 + 4 then we have to lose one of the aforementopned F's in order to protect 2 of Peeke, Gavrikov, Murray, Savard (assuming last 2 resign)

Jarmo has some serious work to do to not blow the draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think we protect PLD, Cam, Bjork, Andy, Tex, as forwards for sure plus 2 others.. That only leaves 3 D to protect. If we go 4 + 4 then we have to lose one of the aforementopned F's in order to protect 2 of Peeke, Gavrikov, Murray, Savard (assuming last 2 resign)

Jarmo has some serious work to do to not blow the draft.

It's been a while since I've thought about expansion stuff, but Peeke or Gavrikov are exempt. They didn't play 10+ professional games under an NHL contract last year. Texier is eligible, as is any player that played 10+ games for Cleveland last year.

Also, this is the "Wennberg irrational hatred" thread. Given that no one has advocated protecting him in the draft there's no point in discussing expansion here.

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's not going to happen again.
Usually when a counterclaim is made, one provides why, rather than just saying "nuh-uh". What is the assertion being made here? Is it assuming that the argument being responded to insisted that Wennberg-on-Seattle would become a #1C and contesting that? Is it supposing Karlsson's "not in the right environment to succeed" situation was somehow substantively different? Is it a belief that even if Wennberg does go to Seattle, we won't have the same flamewars we had over Karlsson - i.e. the "that" in question isn't us losing a player we want back, but rather the arguments over same? Is it a deep and abiding lack of faith in Wennberg's ability to do anything anywhere? Is it presuming that he won't be picked by Seattle so the point is moot? Is it something else I haven't imagined here? Or a combination of factors?

What is it?

* * *​
No even strength goals in 87 games.
Fact.....Dubinsky had a big role/part in making the playoffs and winning games in the playoffs last year, NOT WENNY.
Um. Guys? Those are all about last year. Nobody contests the point that Wennberg was at absolute best a frustrating disappointment last year. What's being pointed out is that that was last year. We have a new year now. So far, he is doing better this year. This year. Not last year. This year. Whether or not that will stay the case is a separate debate topic, and one we could go all day every day on (I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hoping). But there doesn't seem to be much sense in looking at Wennberg this year, watching him doing better (because he is doing better this year), and immediately resuming complaints about what he did last year. That was last year. This is this year.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I don't often agree with Visqi, but her point is valid here. We should be focused upon Wennberg and his performance this year. From my perspective, this year Wennberg is at least trying to make things happen. So far I don't think his success has been great but his level of effort is certainly improved. Time will tell.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I don't often agree with Visqi, but her point is valid here. We should be focused upon Wennberg and his performance this year. From my perspective, this year Wennberg is at least trying to make things happen. So far I don't think his success has been great but his level of effort is certainly improved. Time will tell.

Yup. This is a shoulder year in my mind. Why not see what he has and try and get him back on track?

giphy.gif

Reactions: cslebn

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I agree. Cam looks like crap and is being fed ice time. He should be on the bench with his play right now. Putrid. For a goal scorer he's on pace for 16 right now. And that was a lucky PP goal.

I mean we are basing play against last year's performance right?

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I agree. Cam looks like crap and is being fed ice time. He should be on the bench with his play right now. Putrid. For a goal scorer he's on pace for 16 right now. And that was a lucky PP goal.

I mean we are basing play against last year's performance right?

Not saying Cam is playing great, but he's got 2 goals in 5 games, which is on pace for 32 goals.
Goals aren't everything, I know, but usually you are on the money with stats, etc...
Maybe I missed the :sarcasm:

Reactions: Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Not saying Cam is playing great, but he's got 2 goals in 5 games, which is on pace for 32 goals.
Goals aren't everything, I know, but usually you are on the money with stats, etc...
Maybe I missed the :sarcasm:
Nope, you're right. I had him with one. And, yes, sarcasm but I don't think he's playing well and also don't see the Wennberg hate at this point. He's played well

Reactions: majormajor

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Nope, you're right. I had him with one. And, yes, sarcasm but I don't think he's playing well and also don't see the Wennberg hate at this point. He's played well
Agree Cam not yet on his game. I think it will come; he's always been streaky - and I recognize that CBJ really needs consistency (i.e. a goal every other game) from him, given other goal-scoring issues (real or just perceived).

Agree that Wennberg has been good thus far. Ignoring contract and expectations, he has been acceptable 2C - not outstanding but acceptable in that role. We get caught up in salary and expectations - he is what he is, and hoping for continued improvement followed by improved results (i.e. goals and assists!).

In other words, its still EARLY! With only 5 games played, every W has made me feel better about it being EARLY. Every loss makes me anxious and feeling like the season is already slipping away.
The joys of being a CBJ/hockey/sports fan.

Reactions: cslebn

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Agree that Wennberg has been good thus far. Ignoring contract and expectations, he has been acceptable 2C - not outstanding but acceptable in that role. We get caught up in salary and expectations - he is what he is, and hoping for continued improvement followed by improved results (i.e. goals and assists!).

What roles do you see Dubois and Jenner currently filling??

"Expectations" - "He is what he is" - "Improved Results"

What year are we in and talking about again?

Backstrom to Pahlsson are what the expectations have turned into. And the "haters" haven't been the ones changing these expectations, as some of us HAVE BEEN SAYING IT ALL ALONG!!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
What roles do you see Dubois and Jenner currently filling??

"Expectations" - "He is what he is" - "Improved Results"

What year are we in and talking about again?

Backstrom to Pahlsson are what the expectations have turned into. And the "haters" haven't been the ones changing these expectations, as some of us HAVE BEEN SAYING IT ALL ALONG!!
Well Dubois only has 40 seconds more ES ice time than Wennberg. And Jenner has almost 2 minutes less than Wennberg...and Wennberg has more SH and PP TOI than either of them...

So 2C is borderline accurate only because so far one could Wennberg has been the 1C based on usage and TOI. Having said that, it's only 5 games and that's going to change game by game until one of them solidifies himself as the 1C

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
When he plays aggressive like that he's capable of being that 59+ pt player every year. Problem is he never plays with that much confidence or aggresiveness consistently.

I don't think I've seen him try something like that in a year +. He's consistently not played with confidence, until now.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I saw him get his first ES goal in 90 or so games and ran over an orange barrel which lodged under my car on my way home. I had never had that happen in 40 years of driving. It was a day for odd happenings.

That said, I thought Wennberg had a very nice first period. In the third, he did a smooth move with the puck that exuded confidence. He also didn't take a shot from the high slot which he should have.

He's got 6 SOG in 6 games. That's still not enough for someone getting 18 minutes TOI per game. He's at least playing like an NHLer now.

Something to keep in mind is that even though he's got 3 years to go on his $5.3 million/year (cash for the rest of the term per year) deal, it could be bought out at 1/3rd at the end of the year. It's a $10.6 million loss in income (assuming he isn't signed elsewhere if bought out) over 3 years. So, in essence, Wennberg is in a very important contract year. That tends to be a motivator.

If he's playing like he did last night in March, I'll start singing his praises. Until then I'll probably be much more inclined to refer to his uptick in play in "dead cat bounce" or "every dog has its day" terms:laugh:

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I have been a Wennberg fan since his rookie season, he has the vision, tools but seemed to lack confidence but he’s the kind of teammate that wants to get his mates involved. He’s defensively sound and can dictate. I was wondering if he was ever going to find his game.

I think last summer playing for Sweden helped him. Hopefully he continues to build on this start.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I saw him get his first ES goal in 90 or so games and ran over an orange barrel which lodged under my car on my way home. I had never had that happen in 40 years of driving. It was a day for odd happenings.

That said, I thought Wennberg had a very nice first period. In the third, he did a smooth move with the puck that exuded confidence. He also didn't take a shot from the high slot which he should have.

He's got 6 SOG in 6 games. That's still not enough for someone getting 18 minutes TOI per game. He's at least playing like an NHLer now.

Something to keep in mind is that even though he's got 3 years to go on his $5.3 million/year (cash for the rest of the term per year) deal, it could be bought out at 1/3rd at the end of the year. It's a $10.6 million loss in income (assuming he isn't signed elsewhere if bought out) over 3 years. So, in essence, Wennberg is in a very important contract year. That tends to be a motivator.

If he's playing like he did last night in March, I'll start singing his praises. Until then I'll probably be much more inclined to refer to his uptick in play in "dead cat bounce" or "every dog has its day" terms:laugh:

Glad you're OK.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Did you hit that orange barrel mistaking it for Wennberg? :laugh: :laugh:

Actually agree with your post but am more inclined to believe his play is more confidence and maybe having fun (as he did in the Worlds) than a dead cat bounce......at least hoping that's the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Clearly the shock of seeing a Wennberg goal was extreme enough that you remained distracted on the drive home. :nod:
Hope everything's OK.

If you're referring to that tap-pass-back he did during a PP, I think he was thinking more "get set up in the zone" first - which, given our PP's historic issues with same, I'm willing to forgive him for. ;) I also had the impression that if the shot hadn't gotten through the Stars could have had numbers going the other way since most of our guys appeared to be on the other side of the ice (nobody there for the rebound on the right and lots of PKers ready to pounce), but thanks to the TV camera's restricted view I couldn't see all of the ice to be sure of that.

I admit to thinking this several times but I keep discarding it as looking for a dismissive excuse rather than sound reasoning, so I haven't suggested it myself. ;)

Likewise, but still hoping. Fingers crossed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad