The Wennberg thread, part 2

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I wouldn't call last night's Stenlund goal a "passenger assist".
Ah. The one period I didn’t see. But I don’t deal in exceptions. His performances in the other 20 periods have been generally uninspired.

I’ve seen enough of Wennberg to let him light any inspiration based on those few bright moments.

When see a center playing 2nd line minutes with two goals I’m left totally unimpressed. When that two goal center is being paid $4.9M, I’m left disgusted.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Wenny now ranks 14th among CBJ forwards in goal scoring:

NHL.com Stats

So now he can sit next to me next home game. He's officially a 5th liner. He has scored 1 ES goal in his last 125 games. Maybe he's a 6th liner.

Damn, didn't realize it had been that long.

Since the start of the 2018-2019 season, among the 359 forwards who have played 750+ minutes at even strength, Wennberg's 0.04 goals/60 ranks dead last. His 1.09 points/60 ranks 339th (which is actually slightly ahead of Riley Nash).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
“He has played so much better (lately),” Tortorella said. “The next step for him was just feeling confident in scoring goals. He’s just done so many other things with the puck, holding onto pucks, making plays.

“His checking has been … I’ve matched him up against top lines. We’re going to miss him. As much shit as I’ve given him over the years, I think he’s turned himself around and been a big part of our team. We’re going to miss him.”

Portzline: Zach Werenski ends goalie duel with OT winner,...

In case you were wondering on his status with the team through the coaches eyes.

Reactions: Viqsi and cslebn

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Is Wennberg anywhere near playing? I don't know the exact rules surrounding buyouts, but if he's considered injured during the buyout period then I suspect that the 1/3rd buyout possibility goes by the wayside and that is not a good thing.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Is Wennberg anywhere near playing? I don't know the exact rules surrounding buyouts, but if he's considered injured during the buyout period then I suspect that the 1/3rd buyout possibility goes by the wayside and that is not a good thing.
Ah, your previously expressed worst fear may have become a reality. :cool:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

He wasn't/isn't going to get bought out anyway.

Reactions: koteka

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
First, I don’t think he’ll get bought out regardless, BUT... one thing I literally just thought of. Wennberg turns 26 on Sept. 22. If the NHL opens team facilities in June, finishes the regular season in July and then has the playoffs in August and September (followed by free agency by buyouts/free agency in October and then training camp/practice in November and season starts in December, something like that) by the definition of the CBA, Wennberg will no longer be able to be bought out at 1/3. I’m not sure how the league will treat it for any player that turns 26 between July 1 and the new buyout date, but interesting to think about.

I see no chance he’s bought out at 2/3. I think it’s unlikely enough at 1/3.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
First, I don’t think he’ll get bought out regardless, BUT... one thing I literally just thought of. Wennberg turns 26 on Sept. 22. If the NHL opens team facilities in June, finishes the regular season in July and then has the playoffs in August and September (followed by free agency by buyouts/free agency in October and then training camp/practice in November and season starts in December, something like that) by the definition of the CBA, Wennberg will no longer be able to be bought out at 1/3. I’m not sure how the league will treat it for any player that turns 26 between July 1 and the new buyout date, but interesting to think about.

I see no chance he’s bought out at 2/3. I think it’s unlikely enough at 1/3.

That's the type of thing that I would imagine that the owners wouldn't quibble about given how few players it would effect-in fact, Wennberg might be the only one. I'd guess that Wennberg would not be eligible for a 1/3rd buyout after Sept 21.

It'll be a shame if Jarmo blew it by not buying him out after last season.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not looking good now @Cyclones Rock. You better pray Bettman decides to make the first and second rounds best-of-5 :sarcasm:

The league and PA already agreed to extend contracts through past the playoffs, and I'm guessing all of the off-season dates will get pushed back with it, that includes the buyout window. And I think there is a decent chance Wennberg gets bought out at 1/3. We've got so many middling centers, decent player but we don't really need him and the cap/money would be better used elsewhere.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The league and PA already agreed to extend contracts through past the playoffs, and I'm guessing all of the off-season dates will get pushed back with it, that includes the buyout window. And I think there is a decent chance Wennberg gets bought out at 1/3. We've got so many middling centers, decent player but we don't really need him and the cap/money would be better used elsewhere.

Yes, but Wennberg turns 26 on Sept. 22. Presumably, he would have to be bought out at 2/3 if the buyout window starts after 9/22. And at that point, it's certainly not worth it to buy him out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, but Wennberg turns 26 on Sept. 22. Presumably, he would have to be bought out at 2/3 if the buyout window starts after 9/22. And at that point, it's certainly not worth it to buy him out.

I see. I wouldn't rule out them setting the age to a specific date (e.g. under 26 on June 28th).

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I see. I wouldn't rule out them setting the age to a specific date (e.g. under 26 on June 28th).

I'm not going to say that's impossible, but I don't think that's likely. First, the buyout window always starts June 15 OR 48 hours after the Cup is awarded, whichever is later. Now, the latter would basically be something like June 20 at absolute latest, so not too far off from June 15, but the point is it's not a date set in stone. And there could be a situation where a player turns 26 on June 16, and would be able to be bought out at 1/3 if the Stanley Cup was a sweep and it has to be 2/3 if goes to game 7, and I'd imagine it'd be "tough luck" in that situation, since the only wording is age "at the time of buyout". So it's not like something like this couldn't happen in regular circumstances; it's just normally a 4-day window instead of a 4-month window.

I guess they could argue to set the date at the end of the normal buyout window (June 30). So anybody who turned 26 after June 30 can still be bought out at 1/3 in the buyout window. But I'd also imagine the NHLPA would fight tooth and nail over this if it actually came up. And given that, quite literally, Wennberg might be the only player in the entire NHL who turns 26 between July 1 and October AND would be a buyout candidate this offseason, I don't think the owners/NHL would fight hard on this over one guy in a situation that's basically gonna never happen again. (And I also think the example in the first paragraph wouldn't give the NHL much legal ground to stand on here.)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not going to say that's impossible, but I don't think that's likely. First, the buyout window always starts June 15 OR 48 hours after the Cup is awarded, whichever is later. Now, the latter would basically be something like June 20 at absolute latest, so not too far off from June 15, but the point is it's not a date set in stone. And there could be a situation where a player turns 26 on June 16, and would be able to be bought out at 1/3 if the Stanley Cup was a sweep and it has to be 2/3 if goes to game 7, and I'd imagine it'd be "tough luck" in that situation, since the only wording is age "at the time of buyout". So it's not like something like this couldn't happen in regular circumstances; it's just normally a 4-day window instead of a 4-month window.

I guess they could argue to set the date at the end of the normal buyout window (June 30). So anybody who turned 26 after June 30 can still be bought out at 1/3 in the buyout window. But I'd also imagine the NHLPA would fight tooth and nail over this if it actually came up. And given that, quite literally, Wennberg might be the only player in the entire NHL who turns 26 between July 1 and October AND would be a buyout candidate this offseason, I don't think the owners/NHL would fight hard on this over one guy in a situation that's basically gonna never happen again. (And I also think the example in the first paragraph wouldn't give the NHL much legal ground to stand on here.)

Good points. Not sure if it changes much, if the Jackets want to move on they have other ways.

I came to the conclusion that the 1/3 buyout would be a good route for the Jackets to take with Wennberg, but I also realize that with a little retention ($1m-$2m per) he would be a valuable pickup for teams like Ottawa and Detroit. That would be very similar to a buyout as far as the Jackets are concerned.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Good points. Not sure if it changes much, if the Jackets want to move on they have other ways.

I came to the conclusion that the 1/3 buyout would be a good route for the Jackets to take with Wennberg, but I also realize that with a little retention ($1m-$2m per) he would be a valuable pickup for teams like Ottawa and Detroit. That would be very similar to a buyout as far as the Jackets are concerned.

Could go that route. He also could be the selection by Seattle or more depth if a different forward is taken in the expansion draft.

I'd prefer he not be on the roster because I think we could make better use of that cap space, but that's pretty much the only reason. I don't think he's a negative on the ice in a 3C role. He's overpaid at $5M, but if he were making $3M and never had that 1C anticipated hype like he had in 2017/wasn't a first round pick, nobody would mind his production (yes, people would still want him to shoot more).

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad