The Sedins Were Stars at Best Who had Each Other. Not HHOF Worthy.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I mean, as sad and pathetic as I think this take on the Sedins is, I might have to defer to you as the expert on this one...the Boston Bruins and Brad Marchand have essentially made the Toronto Maple Leafs and every single player to grace their uniform their collective ***** over the last decade, so Leafs fans obviously know what "not looking like men," whatever the **** that is supposed to mean, looks like.

Great example of the disrespect the Sedins have faced -- and handled with class -- their entire careers, though.
Tbh your defensive posturing out did whatever adjectives you'd use to describe my post by a long shot. At least my post is on topic.

Not that it needs to be said, but this thread isn't about the Leafs. Leafs fans aren't the ones playing on the ice. 3 game 7 series is hardly equivalent to whatever you're describing. Again, not relevant. Sedins played softer than a baby's bum, me cheering for the leafs isn't going to change that. Aside from that scrum with Marchand, I've never seen a grown man let a man much smaller than him literally rag doll him and just take it. No intensity. Stay on topic. I'm not going to stoop to your level.

Reactions: Tofveve

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Tbh your defensive posturing out did whatever adjectives you'd use to describe my post by a long shot. At least my post is on topic.

Not that it needs to be said, but this thread isn't about the Leafs. Leafs fans aren't the ones playing on the ice. 3 game 7 series is hardly equivalent to whatever you're describing. Again, not relevant. Sedins played softer than a baby's bum, me cheering for the leafs isn't going to change that. I've never seen a grown man let a man much smaller than him literally rag doll him and just take it. No intensity. Stay on topic. I'm not going to stoop to your level.

You’ve already made this about being “men” and how you can’t ‘respect them as men hurrr.’ It would be nearly impossible for me to stoop to a more pathetic level.

Also, your personal respect for them as “men,” and apparently your ability to judge their testosterone, has literally nothing to do with whether they belong in the HHOF or not.

Last edited:

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
You’ve already made this about being “men” and how you can’t ‘respect them as men hurrr.’ It would be nearly impossible for me to stoop to a more pathetic level.
Yet you pulled it off so I'll commend you for that.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Just because Theo Fleury has been done wrong (and he definitely has), doesn't mean that the Sedins shouldn't be in.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Yet you pulled it off so I'll commend you for that.

This response was almost as predictable as you popping up in this thread to make a comment essentially about how the Sedins really weren’t real men. This obsession with their manliness during their careers is frankly very weird, and borderline creepy.

I’ll let you be. They won’t hurt you anymore.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Except they made their living playing in the hardest areas, against the toughest matchups, so this false just like your comment about draft day.
Well I'm glad to be corrected on the draft part and I agree about their playstyle. I tried researching info on the draft thing but didn't find much on it. I respected Kesler as a player and always felt like he should've been captain. Their attitude was butter soft and I think as leaders that has to kinda suck.

I don't know how teammates would feel when the alternate captain literally turns the other cheek for example. I never recall seeing them ever stand up for a teammate or as much as get in someone's face. I never felt like those types would be the ideal set of leaders on a team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There are a lot of players that don't belong in the HHOF that are there, I don't think they belong there at all, but I wouldn't be shocked either if they are at some point, maybe a slow year of candidates.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Well I'm glad to be corrected on the draft part and I agree about their playstyle. I tried researching info on the draft thing but didn't find much on it. I respected Kesler as a player and always felt like he should've been captain. Their attitude was butter soft and I think as leaders that has to kinda suck.

I don't know how teammates would feel when the alternate captain literally turns the other cheek for example. I never recall seeing them ever stand up for a teammate or as much as get in someone's face. I never felt like those types would be the ideal set of leaders on a team.

Kesler as a better leader than them? No way. Kesler was my favourite player on the team, but not a chance. The Sedins are amazing leaders. Their leadership is one of the most admirable things about them.

I don't agree with turning the other cheek in that instance. I would've ripped Marchands head off. But that's not an indictment on their leadership IMO.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I’m an Oilers fan and couldn’t stand them torching my team, but come on now, they were miles better than Trevor Linden, saying they were only marginally better is ridiculous. They absolutely were superstars and deserve to get into the hall, no question in my mind.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
This response was almost as predictable as you popping up in this thread to make a comment essentially about how the Sedins really weren’t real men. This obsession with their manliness during their careers is frankly very weird, and borderline creepy.

I’ll let you be. They won’t hurt you anymore.
Looks like you got your feelings in a bunch. You'll cheer up, dw. Hockey is a physical sport where intimidation is a factor. I made a comment about the Sedins and their play in a thread about the Sedins. Shocking I know. You felt hurt enough to take the one thing you didn't like about it and go on a tangent about the team I cheer for. Weak. I'm sorry if it's hard for you to process who's the one going off topic in this thread. You'll get over it.

To the bolded, honestly have no idea who you are but okay

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Well OP, maybe in your Hall of Fame they wouldn't make it in but you can be damn sure they meet the strict requirements :laugh: for entry into the NHL's version.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
That might be a bit of a pissy sounding title, but listening to Vancouver sports radio over the last few days and there's this local feeling (and growing support league-wide) that these guys should get in the HHOF.

No bloody way.

If these two get in, give Theo Fleury two spots.

This is all BS politics.

Did I like these guys? Sure. Were they classy? Sure. Were they skilled? Yes. Were they superstars? Hell no. Anyone with a brain and saw them regularly saw them as good players, brothers who had each other for support the whole time they played, never won a cup, and were never that exciting to watch. Their stats don't warrant them being in.

Daniel Sedin had 1041 pts in 1306 games for .79 ppg. Finished with 393 goals. Had a Hart Trophy and Lindsey Trophy in 10/11 but that was with 41 goals, 104 pts in a year where Crosby was injured and only played 41 games. No Stanley Cups.

Henrik Sedin had 1070 pts in 1330 games for a .80 ppg. He won the Hart and Art Ross in 09/10 sure, with 29 goals. Finished his career with only 240 goals. No Stanley Cups.

Those are NOT Hockey Hall of Fame numbers, by either of them. I can remember all of about 2 plays by the Sedins. There are some damn questionable HHOF inclusions but the Sedins would be at or near the top IMO. I'd look to watch a Stamkos game and of course an Ovechkin or Crosby game. Never ever a Sedin game.

Meanwhile a 5'6" kid who would carve your eye out to compete against anyone, molested repeatedly by a Junior coach, never given a chance at making it amongst grown men, scores 51 goals in a season, wins a Stanley Cup and a Olympic gold, plays at over a ppg for his career (even though being on many crap Flames teams in the 90s once they had sold off all of their talent), succumbs his career to alcoholism but submits to the NHL's substance abuse program and overcomes his illness to return and retire a Flame.

No way in hell a Sedin should get in and a Theo Fleury doesn't. No way.

And full respect to the Sedins on good careers. But their careers were just that, good. Not great. Sorry if that hurts to hear.
Imagine writing all this.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
if the Sedins were not twins they'd get way less attention. OP has a point IMO. The Sedins were very good but as their numbers prove, they are simply not among the all time greatest players.

Having a special connection to 1 out of hundreds of skilled NHL players should not get you an easier HOF introduction.

It's a phenomenon of the recent years that as soon as someone has done something impressive the comparisons to the all time greats come up. What's with this longing for greatness by the people? Not everyone can be great and that's really okay because that's just the way our world is. Let's safe the energy to admire true greatness.

Ovechkin is doing something truly great right now but even there some people are doubting what he's accomplishing. The Sedines are a few leagues below Ovechkin and thus can have their shrine in the hall of very good and very special but not in the Hall of Fame.

Kezaster

Apr 29, 2013
I don't think they should be in, there's a few guys in that shouldn't be.

Never won anything by the standards of hfboards, maybe a hart or art ross but just once. Olympic golds here matter very little

But I'm not the guy who decides these things and it is quite unique that identical twins in the same sport play at this level for so long for the same team. And these guys were pure class. This alone will get them in. Honestly, quite easily by the criteria of hof-today.

In ten years most will propably forget that these guys we're not superstars. At their peak which lasted for seven years of their careers they were stars in which the had six combined over ppg seasons. That's six out of combined 34 seasons(didn't count lockout). And over the course of this they got further than the second round once out twelve tries.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Fleury was over a PPG because he played a few years in an era where a PPG forward was an average first line player. The Sedins played in an era where your average first line forward struggled to hit 65 points.

Both Sedins would finish with more points adjusting for era. They also have a better trophy case overall both in the NHL and internationally.

And finally, I did enjoy watching them even though I hated watching them score against Kipper. If he'd had any arch nemesis it'd be the Sedins because their passing broke down anything Kipper or the Flames could do more often than not. Perfect players in cycling and extending offensive plays.

I do think Theo still has an outside shot at the Hall but I don't really think there's a question of whether the Sedins get in. There's too many reasons to make it happen, including their caliber of play relative to their era, their uniqueness, their international play, their squeaky clean reputation and their long term contributions to the game in terms of revolutionizing the cycle and chemistry game and what it means to have both. They were never sexy but they were just purely effective, almost like how Lidstrom never blew the doors off but was just on the mark every single time.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I watched their entire careers and....I actually agree with you.

they were superstars though, for a period of time ....no doubt about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad