The Sedins Were Stars at Best Who had Each Other. Not HHOF Worthy.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
[QDP]
The hall has a bunch of scrubs and the they're snubbing a Theo Fleury because he was a pain in most of their asses.

Literally 500 goals used to be the standard and then you have a 393 and 240 goal guys who were well under a PPG for their careers getting some talk of first ballot.

It's because they were nice, clean living, good to the media and because Vancouver hasn't had much to cheer for other than Bure and three SCF runs in 82, 94 and 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Whatever happened to career goals and pts?

These guys were just good players who had injuries and never won a championship. Always had each other.

Not HHOF Worthy.

Part of what hurt them was starting their careers in the DPE and being stuck behind the West Coast Express. They weren't really given a chance to lead the team until the late 2000's / early 2010's

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The hall has a bunch of scrubs and the they're snubbing a Theo Fleury because he was a pain in most of their asses.

Literally 500 goals used to be the standard and then you have a 393 and 240 goal guys who were well under a PPG for their careers getting some talk of first ballot.

It's because they were nice, clean living, good to the media and because Vancouver hasn't had much to cheer for other than Bure and three SCF runs in 82, 94 and 2011.

They're snubbing Fleury because he basically called out the Old Boys Club that runs the HHOF but regardless, that shouldn't affect the twins

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
That might be a bit of a pissy sounding title, but listening to Vancouver sports radio over the last few days and there's this local feeling (and growing support league-wide) that these guys should get in the HHOF.

No bloody way.

If these two get in, give Theo Fleury two spots.

This is all BS politics.

Did I like these guys? Sure. Were they classy? Sure. Were they skilled? Yes. Were they superstars? Hell no. Anyone with a brain and saw them regularly saw them as good players, brothers who had each other for support the whole time they played, never won a cup, and were never that exciting to watch. Their stats don't warrant them being in.

Daniel Sedin had 1041 pts in 1306 games for .79 ppg. Finished with 393 goals. Had a Hart Trophy and Lindsey Trophy in 10/11 but that was with 41 goals, 104 pts in a year where Crosby was injured and only played 41 games. No Stanley Cups.

Henrik Sedin had 1070 pts in 1330 games for a .80 ppg. He won the Hart and Art Ross in 09/10 sure, with 29 goals. Finished his career with only 240 goals. No Stanley Cups.

Those are NOT Hockey Hall of Fame numbers, by either of them. I can remember all of about 2 plays by the Sedins. There are some damn questionable HHOF inclusions but the Sedins would be at or near the top IMO. I'd look to watch a Stamkos game and of course an Ovechkin or Crosby game. Never ever a Sedin game.

Meanwhile a 5'6" kid who would carve your eye out to compete against anyone, molested repeatedly by a Junior coach, never given a chance at making it amongst grown men, scores 51 goals in a season, wins a Stanley Cup and a Olympic gold, plays at over a ppg for his career (even though being on many crap Flames teams in the 90s once they had sold off all of their talent), succumbs his career to alcoholism but submits to the NHL's substance abuse program and overcomes his illness to return and retire a Flame.

No way in hell a Sedin should get in and a Theo Fleury doesn't. No way.

And full respect to the Sedins on good careers. But their careers were just that, good. Not great. Sorry if that hurts to hear.

Was this one of the 2 plays you can remember from the Sedins?

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
I knew the the OP was Calgarian before i opened the thread. inferiority complex is strong with those guys when it comes to Vancouver.

I watched them play a lot. Never wanted to, never found them exciting at all. Ever.

of course you didn't, they made your franchise best goaltender look like a sieve every game they played.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
That might be a bit of a pissy sounding title, but listening to Vancouver sports radio over the last few days and there's this local feeling (and growing support league-wide) that these guys should get in the HHOF.

No bloody way.

If these two get in, give Theo Fleury two spots.

This is all BS politics.

Did I like these guys? Sure. Were they classy? Sure. Were they skilled? Yes. Were they superstars? Hell no. Anyone with a brain and saw them regularly saw them as good players, brothers who had each other for support the whole time they played, never won a cup, and were never that exciting to watch. Their stats don't warrant them being in.

Daniel Sedin had 1041 pts in 1306 games for .79 ppg. Finished with 393 goals. Had a Hart Trophy and Lindsey Trophy in 10/11 but that was with 41 goals, 104 pts in a year where Crosby was injured and only played 41 games. No Stanley Cups.

Henrik Sedin had 1070 pts in 1330 games for a .80 ppg. He won the Hart and Art Ross in 09/10 sure, with 29 goals. Finished his career with only 240 goals. No Stanley Cups.

Those are NOT Hockey Hall of Fame numbers, by either of them. I can remember all of about 2 plays by the Sedins. There are some damn questionable HHOF inclusions but the Sedins would be at or near the top IMO. I'd look to watch a Stamkos game and of course an Ovechkin or Crosby game. Never ever a Sedin game.

Meanwhile a 5'6" kid who would carve your eye out to compete against anyone, molested repeatedly by a Junior coach, never given a chance at making it amongst grown men, scores 51 goals in a season, wins a Stanley Cup and a Olympic gold, plays at over a ppg for his career (even though being on many crap Flames teams in the 90s once they had sold off all of their talent), succumbs his career to alcoholism but submits to the NHL's substance abuse program and overcomes his illness to return and retire a Flame.

No way in hell a Sedin should get in and a Theo Fleury doesn't. No way.

And full respect to the Sedins on good careers. But their careers were just that, good. Not great. Sorry if that hurts to hear.

This is probably one of the most clueless takes I've ever seen. The suggestion that there is growing support league-wide that they will be HHOF players is laughably wrong. Everyone knew these guys were locks long before they retired. I'm sure you didn't enjoy watching the Sedins torch your team but they objectively played an exciting and entertaining style of hockey to most people who enjoy hockey. They literally changed the way the game was played - there are plays that you will see in virtually every game now that was originally popularized by the Sedins. The slap-pass. The 30 foot tip ins/re-directs. They developed the cycle game more than any 2 players in history. What the Sedins did well were strategically copied and implemented by most coaches and players around the league. Oh and they also dominated the league for like 5 years. There's a reason why every respected person in hockey expects them to be first ballot hall of famers. I've never heard anyone reputable give a take as crazy as you have given us today and I don't think I ever will.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
They'll get in for the simple reason that they're unique. Chances are exceedingly good that the NHL will never see twin brothers, playing their entire career of 1300+ games for the same team, & each being genuine stars ever again.

Individually, no they don't have the stats or hardware. Taken as a whole though given just how unusual they were, they're getting in. Maybe not first round (although I wouldn't bet against that), but they'll be there fairly soon.

(and I've been wanting Fleury in for a long time too if that matters...)

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
Fleury was good just not great couldn't keep away from the off ice stuff to keep his career going.Never had any individual awards in the nhl.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
This is probably one of the most clueless takes I've ever seen. The suggestion that there is growing support league-wide that they will be HHOF players is laughably wrong. Everyone knew these guys were locks long before they retired. I'm sure you didn't enjoy watching the Sedins torch your team but they objectively played an exciting and entertaining style of hockey to most people who enjoy hockey. They literally changed the way the game was played - there are plays that you will see in virtually every game now that was originally popularized by the Sedins. The slap-pass. The 30 foot tip ins/re-directs. They developed the cycle game more than any 2 players in history. What the Sedins did well were strategically copied and implemented by most coaches and players in the league. Oh and they also dominated the league for like 5 years. There's a reason why every respected person in hockey expects them to be first ballot hall of famers. I've never heard anyone reputable give a take as crazy as you have given us today and I don't think I ever will.

Very few people actually watched the Sedins from out east with regularity. I did. They were just good players who played at a slightly better level than Trevor Linden minus the physical play. In fact I'd rather watch Linde play.

Bure is what a HHOFer more looks like.

If you don't have the big wow factor, you have to do it with career points.

Both Sedins were at .80 ppg or lower and neither even hit 400 goals. Only Daniel had a 41 goal season as a max.

Those are crap numbers for players trying to get in the HHOF talk with no Stanley Cup rings.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I don't know how you could say the Sedin twins were boring players. Their chemistry and uniqueness were insane throughout their career, but everyone has different ideas of entertainment. Sedin twins' combination of peak, longevity, very good defense, 1k career points, and individual hardware warrants being HHOFers.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
They'll get in for the simple reason that they're unique. Chances are exceedingly good that the NHL will never see twin brothers, playing their entire career of 1300+ games for the same team, & each being genuine stars ever again.

Individually, no they don't have the stats or hardware. Taken as a whole though given just how unusual they were, they're getting in. Maybe not first round (although I wouldn't bet against that), but they'll be there fairly soon.

(and I've been wanting Fleury in for a long time too if that matters...)
This is one of the more decent responses so far.

But what you're describing to me is why a Theo Fleury definitely should have gotten in already. Not likeable to many fanbases because he'd do anything to win and would play on such an edge that his career had all sorts of context (not to mention being a tiny player who overcame youth poverty, tons of sexual abuse and every sort of odds imaginable). Yes the duo factor, twins is some context for the Sedins. But that's all there is to me. Everything else is them just being super nice guys and pretty good hockey players. A couple of great years.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Whatever happened to career goals and pts?

These guys were just good players who had injuries and never won a championship. Always had each other.

Not HHOF Worthy.
I want to clarify if you are applying that they were injury prone? If that the case you are wrong. The Sedin twins were quite durable.

Reactions: Cataphract and Red

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad