The Sedins Were Stars at Best Who had Each Other. Not HHOF Worthy.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
if the Sedins were not twins they'd get way less attention. OP has a point IMO. The Sedins were very good but as their numbers prove, they are simply not among the all time greatest players.

Having a special connection to 1 out of hundreds of skilled NHL players should not get you an easier HOF introduction.

It's a phenomenon of the recent years that as soon as someone has done something impressive the comparisons to the all time greats come up. What's with this longing for greatness by the people? Not everyone can be great and that's really okay because that's just the way our world is. Let's safe the energy to admire true greatness.

Ovechkin is doing something truly great right now but even there some people are doubting what he's accomplishing. The Sedines are a few leagues below Ovechkin and thus can have their shrine in the hall of very good and very special but not in the Hall of Fame.

Good post, thank you.

I honestly just think it would show how political getting into the HHOF is if they get in. Their numbers definitely show that they had a couple of elite years but otherwise were just good players

But somehow they developed this superstar persona of being amazing, other-wordly players. And a big part of that is because they're good looking, twins, super polite and then because they live in Vancouver so many people can't see them. And to top it off, Vancouver hasn't had a ton of success in like 50 years of existence so it's like let's chuck them a bone and recognize the Sedins as something they actually weren't. Rose-colored glasses looking back at its finest.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
They’ll get in the hall and deserve it. They reached 1000pts, have the scoring titles, played such a unique style and innovated or at popularised a number of plays techniques in the NHL. The hall of fame is to celebrate great players and to tell the stories of hockey, and they qualify on both counts.

I don’t think the original poster understands how skilled they were and the level at which they played the game.

As an aside, advanced stats were in their infancy at the end of their peak, but I believe they showed them to be absolutely dominant just as the eye test did. If advanced stats were as popular back then as they are now I think they would be regarded even more favourably than they are now.

NHL.com for all players between 2009-10 (as far back as the stats go) until 2014-15 that played at least 350 games, they ranked 6th and 9th in Corsi, right there with Bergeron, Datsyuk, and Toews. I think that's a big enough sample size. Burrows ranked 12th, and they formed one of, if not the best lines in Hockey for over half a decade at controlling play, which matches up with the eye test. If you didn't realise they were great when you watched games, you weren't paying attention.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I can appreciate the argument that they're not HOF material, but not superstars? They've got a pair of Art Rosses, a Hart, and a Lindsay between them. C'mon.

Generally I'd say the two are synonymous unless a lesser star ammasses incredible numbers (like an Andreychuk or Robitaille) and by virtue of that can't be held out of the HHOF. The Sedins numbers are nowhere close to any reasonable volume thresholds so then it becomes more about aesthetics and context. Something that stands out. I don't consider being twins and playing all of ones career in place qualifies. Not to me.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
It's the Hockey Hall of Fame

Not the Hockey Hall of Best Players

Sedins for sure had the fame -part, with their twin-stuff and own playing style.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
It's the Hockey Hall of Fame

Not the Hockey Hall of Best Players

Sedins for sure had the fame -part, with their twin-stuff and own playing style.

I think this answers it all. They were excellent players and will get in for sure. But it has more to do with the fact that they are twins and did almost everything as a unit. The historic draft, playing on a high level, won some medals with the national team and had individual awards in the NHL.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
It's very hard to respect them as men. One of them got literally bullied by Marchand in the cup finals and stood there taking it with no retaliation. They also apparently refused to be drafted until unless they were on the same team. How the hell is that respectable? There's other prospects just dying for their chance.

Also their stats were inflated by the fact that they played with each other and even still they barely got a career 0.80 ppg. Definitely not Hall of Fame worthy at all.

If they didn't have each other all the time they probably would've just had a few 70 point seasons, maybe a few ppg seasons (unlikely), and play at a 60-65pt pace otherwise.

Even William Nylander plays with more fire and testosterone than they ever did

Agreed, thanks.

And this is why I'd have rather watched and rooted for Trevor Linden as a Flames fan. Put up decent numbers (particularly goals), made to the cup finals, bled Canucks colors, would drop the gloves fairly often for someone who wasn't a fighter. And I'm not even trying to promote fighting, just saying he had all around jam by comparison.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
How can you call players who dominated the league for a couple seasons not stars?

Give me some examples of average players who put up over 100 pts and lead a team to back to back president trophies.

Daniel Sedin had one season with over 90 points. 4 seasons higher than 76 points.

Henrik is more impressive IMO, he went 7 years in a row with 75 or more points. Had the high of 112 points.

Just put Henrik in, he was the better player.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I don't think they should be in, there's a few guys in that shouldn't be.

Never won anything by the standards of hfboards, maybe a hart or art ross but just once. Olympic golds here matter very little

But I'm not the guy who decides these things and it is quite unique that identical twins in the same sport play at this level for so long for the same team. And these guys were pure class. This alone will get them in. Honestly, quite easily by the criteria of hof-today.

In ten years most will propably forget that these guys we're not superstars. At their peak which lasted for seven years of their careers they were stars in which the had six combined over ppg seasons. That's six out of combined 34 seasons(didn't count lockout). And over the course of this they got further than the second round once out twelve tries.

Good post.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
One can always have an opinion on things and present them in a proper fashion. This topic is no exception. Your post comes off as whiny and arrogant which makes it all much more difficult to actually take it serious.

I dont think they are slam dunks to get in, I do think they will thought as they have some pretty stellar peak years, personal hardware combined with good international resumé and bringing nothing but goodwill to the league and sport.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I agree they shouldn’t be HHoF but I don’t feel at all strongly about it and I understand the argument for them making it.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Generally I'd say the two are synonymous unless a lesser star ammasses incredible numbers (like an Andreychuk or Robitaille) and by virtue of that can't be held out of the HHOF. The Sedins numbers are nowhere close to any reasonable volume thresholds so then it becomes more about aesthetics and context. Something that stands out. I don't consider being twins and playing all of ones career in place qualifies. Not to me.

Five-time First Team All-star Luc Robitaille is a "lesser star"? The all-time goal-scoring leader for LWs until Ovechkin passed him recently? And comparing him with Andreychuk...

These are bad takes.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Sedins don't deserve it but yeah let's throw in guys like Fleury who have zero awards, zero 1st ASTs and a career high 6th place pts finish into the hall lol. The hall definitely needs more average guys who were lucky enough to compile in the 80s/early 90s. Also, if you didn't stay up to watch a hart trophy winner then that's your problem. No one outside of Calgary stayed up to watch an average 1st liner like Fleury either though.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City

I can't imagine why you think that volume, aesthetics and context are the three most important factors in deciding who goes in to the HHOF. How about just being a great hockey player?

You can argue whether or not the Sedins are HHOF-worthy, but at least they had a few seasons where they were top-10 players in the NHL. That's something you can't say about Theo Fleury, and even less about Dave Andreychuk. Last thing the Hall needs is more compilers with huge totals because they played in the 80s and early 90s.

I also have no idea about your whole "politics" tangent. There's nothing remotely political about the Sedins or their potential induction. They were NHL MVPs, they had long successful careers, they'll get in eventually. It's not that complicated.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Five-time First Team All-star Luc Robitaille is a "lesser star"? The all-time goal-scoring leader for LWs until Ovechkin passed him recently? And comparing him with Andreychuk...

These are bad takes.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Luc, but he wasn't exactly all that dynamic. But the numbers he produced is what propelled him into the hall. That was my point. When guys put up numbers like he did it both gets them into the hall and makes them exciting too because let's face it goals are exciting. It analyzing his game, he was a fairly poor skater and didn't have tons of aspects that drew anyone's attention. That statement wasn't meant to be a shot at him.

Regarding Andreychuk, it took him quite awhile to get into the hall, basically solely on goals and points (most related to the PP). But again, the numbers produced had almost everything to do with him getting in.

Otherwise he's not even a Jason Arnott or someone else big who was funner to watch.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I can't imagine why you think that volume, aesthetics and context are the three most important factors in deciding who goes in to the HHOF. How about just being a great hockey player?

You can argue whether or not the Sedins are HHOF-worthy, but at least they had a few seasons where they were top-10 players in the NHL. That's something you can't say about Theo Fleury, and even less about Dave Andreychuk. Last thing the Hall needs is more compilers with huge totals because they played in the 80s and early 90s.

I also have no idea about your whole "politics" tangent. There's nothing remotely political about the Sedins or their potential induction. They were NHL MVPs, they had long successful careers, they'll get in eventually. It's not that complicated.

The politics is how many Canucks are in the HHOF? How many cups have they won? That franchise hasn't had much of anything so give them this.

Basically they had Pavel Bure.

Also, most people who vote or even just the regular broader league fanbase don't realize how average the Sedins were.

Last edited:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if they got in, but if i were voting i dont think i would include them. I think it's the twin thing that simultaneously makes them great and holds them back. Their tandem was scary (as a fan of a psuedo-rival), but individually they never had that elite superstar sort of vibe to them. Together they could take over a game, but I never felt like they were threats individually, not like MacK or Kucherov are now for example.

It's an unprecedented position

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
"In ten years most will propably forget that these guys we're not superstars. At their peak which lasted for seven years of their careers they were stars in which the had six combined over ppg seasons. That's six out of combined 34 seasons(didn't count lockout). And over the course of this they got further than the second round once out twelve tries."

Reactions: Belieber

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Twins that were the go to guys on a Canadian franchise for that many years are getting into the hall.
The hall is a museum built before the internet to keep records on who played hockey,
I have no idea why so many people have the idea only the best four guys that everyone has already heard about deserve to be remembered in history.
Can anyone else name twins that won NHL scoring championships and Olympic gold medals?
Anyone know how many twins both won scoring awards in any sports? Yes they should be remembered for playing hockey

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I’m sure the Sedins will mark this post when they get inducted to the Hall of Fame.

As for the OP, nothing more that over inflated clout chaser who wants to make himself feel smart. This take was ridiculous in the first place...straight out of Calgarypuck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00