The Sedins Were Stars at Best Who had Each Other. Not HHOF Worthy.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I'm all for keeping them out of the Hall. They are not champions. But the bar is pretty low.

Not sure why Fleury isn't in (well I can guess it's his substance abuse), but he should get in.

As long as we don't let Turgeon in.

Reactions: Tofveve

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if they got in, but if i were voting i dont think i would include them. I think it's the twin thing that simultaneously makes them great and holds them back. Their tandem was scary (as a fan of a psuedo-rival), but individually they never had that elite superstar sort of vibe to them. Together they could take over a game, but I never felt like they were threats individually, not like MacK or Kucherov are now for example.

It's an unprecedented position

Henrik literally won the art ross during the same season that Daniel was injured for 20 games.

incredulous.gif

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If emotion would be not wanting good players who were boring to watch and who got un-HHOF numbers, sign me up.

Also, they retired semi-early after getting juicy contracts to finish their careers with. Must be nice to be so celebrated for meh careers.

They’re currently 70th and 74th ALL TIME in points and you consider that a meh career? They’re in the top 1% of NHL players to ever play.

Last edited:

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
The politics is how many Canucks are in the HHOF? How many cups have they won? That franchise hasn't had much of anything so give them this.

Basically they had Pavel Bure.

Also, most people who vote or even just the regular broader league fanbase don't realize how average the Sedins were.

"Give them this"? Why would they care? The Canucks don't give a shit about who gets in to the Hall of Fame, and neither does the NHL. It's a museum run by a non-profit. It's so far from anything important that I don't see how it could really be political.

Plus, the Sedins wouldn't even be among the worst 10 players in the Hall of Fame, if they were inducted. I don't see what's so controversial about them.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well I'm glad to be corrected on the draft part and I agree about their playstyle. I tried researching info on the draft thing but didn't find much on it. I respected Kesler as a player and always felt like he should've been captain. Their attitude was butter soft and I think as leaders that has to kinda suck.

I don't know how teammates would feel when the alternate captain literally turns the other cheek for example. I never recall seeing them ever stand up for a teammate or as much as get in someone's face. I never felt like those types would be the ideal set of leaders on a team.

Nik Lidstrom was captain of the Wings. I don’t think he ever made a strong hit in his life, never once fought or got into an opponents face and never defended a teammate. He averaged about 22PIM a year.

Yet he somehow won a cup as captain, made another finals. Should he have also not been captain and “not a real man”?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
What's so shocking? I don't hate the Sedins or the Canucks.

In 17 years or whatever they played I never stayed up once to watch the Sedins play. I'm willing to bet not many people outside of Vancouver did either. They were not worth the price of admission. Stars yes most years, definitely not superstars outside of one or two when their team was loaded with supporting talent.

I would stay up and watch them and I’m from Atlanta. They were easily worth watching because they could see the game differently then most players.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Of course they get inducted, of course they deserve to be in, of course their individual and combined careers and achievements are enough for that, and of course their 'off ice intangibles' multiplier support their case too, probably more for them than for anyone else before them. This far everything is plain clear.

United and connected as one they came in, united and connected as one they go out.

Maybe HHOF walls are wide and roof high, but Sedins aren't the reason to start downshifting renovations.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
That might be a bit of a pissy sounding title, but listening to Vancouver sports radio over the last few days and there's this local feeling (and growing support league-wide) that these guys should get in the HHOF.

No bloody way.

If these two get in, give Theo Fleury two spots.

This is all BS politics.

Did I like these guys? Sure. Were they classy? Sure. Were they skilled? Yes. Were they superstars? Hell no. Anyone with a brain and saw them regularly saw them as good players, brothers who had each other for support the whole time they played, never won a cup, and were never that exciting to watch. Their stats don't warrant them being in.

Daniel Sedin had 1041 pts in 1306 games for .79 ppg. Finished with 393 goals. Had a Hart Trophy and Lindsey Trophy in 10/11 but that was with 41 goals, 104 pts in a year where Crosby was injured and only played 41 games. No Stanley Cups.

Henrik Sedin had 1070 pts in 1330 games for a .80 ppg. He won the Hart and Art Ross in 09/10 sure, with 29 goals. Finished his career with only 240 goals. No Stanley Cups.

Those are NOT Hockey Hall of Fame numbers, by either of them. I can remember all of about 2 plays by the Sedins. There are some damn questionable HHOF inclusions but the Sedins would be at or near the top IMO. I'd look to watch a Stamkos game and of course an Ovechkin or Crosby game. Never ever a Sedin game.

Meanwhile a 5'6" kid who would carve your eye out to compete against anyone, molested repeatedly by a Junior coach, never given a chance at making it amongst grown men, scores 51 goals in a season, wins a Stanley Cup and a Olympic gold, plays at over a ppg for his career (even though being on many crap Flames teams in the 90s once they had sold off all of their talent), succumbs his career to alcoholism but submits to the NHL's substance abuse program and overcomes his illness to return and retire a Flame.

No way in hell a Sedin should get in and a Theo Fleury doesn't. No way.

And full respect to the Sedins on good careers. But their careers were just that, good. Not great. Sorry if that hurts to hear.
It really dosnt hurt since it’s just your truth, b/c me and a lot of other people realise that it’s just your opinion. Ramble on gramps

NHL2004ISDABOMB

Dec 30, 2018
Now THAT is some funny stuff.

What's so funny about that? It was true back then if you were even old enough to witness their games, Crosby and et al were feasting on opponents in the Easy Conference while the West was tough as hell and played way tighter defense. You obviously never even bother to watch them play by your own admission so your opinion is just worthless

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Did any player ever said any bad words about Sedins, even it must've been incredibly infuriating and annoying to play against them? Is it possible that certain aspects of Sedinery was mimicked and simulated widely in the league after people saw how it can be done? Examples of perfect chemistry between players are rare and far inbetween, but brothers transcended the definition in way that even got own noun for describing it. A team is lucky if they've players with good on ice chemistry, extremely lucky if that chemistry can be called synergy, but what Sedins did was that they nearly always managed to transmit the influence of their own full synchronized co-op sphere to all over a lineup they were playing with; it wasn't only some kind magic, mysterious 6th sense connect between brothers as others started to emulate their rhythm too, in most natural manner. Total control of ice and subtle leadership-by-example is seldom more visible than when watching how they demonstrated it, together.

I suggest that overtly critical people should just dig some youtube video reels and actually watch how it sometimes went, concentrating to watch their play, actions, positioning, both in relation between each others but also in relation to their line mates. There are plenty of stuff to fulfill holes in a common knowledge about the art of Sedinery.

People like talk these days about "how player X is product of player Y" etc. along these lines, but with Sedins it is more suitable to talk "how many functional lineup complements they produced only by playing in them together", or conversely "How many dysfunctional and inefficient lines you can count where Sedins were part of?" Also, HFB that highly appreciate a hockey player with high hockey IQ and playmaking skills, cannot exactly put Sedins under if wanting to maintain their own logic intact and values untouched. Brothers perfected the art of grinding and cycling for the general purposes of the concept of hockey playmaking. Summed up that's far more than their 1000+ pts playmaking careers individually, or a hoard of hardware.

Essentially for same reasons it will be very easy and natural for them to dance on a stairs leading up to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

For side note: As a Finn I have personally also not so nice memories how Tre Kronor looked more like The heyday Red Machine, and not least because of brothers.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
They’re currently 70th and 74th ALL TIME in points and you consider that a meh career? They’re in the top 5% of NHL players to ever play.
5% of all players should get in the NHL? On average, every team has >1 HoFer on their roster at all times?

The Canucks have pretty low standards though, considering they retired Markus Naslund's jersey.

For guys who never won a championship, I am willing to make exceptions for extremely remarkable careers. Like Hasek, Dionne, Brad Park, maybe.

Sedins I feel are below Sittler, LaFontaine, Perreault as well. And I'm not sure about those being true HoFers either.

But that's just how I feel. It's a bit difficult to consider someone a HoFer, if they never won a championship in their sport. It's a team sport, so it can be a bit unfair, but that's just the nature of a team sport. You play to win games, not tally points.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Not sure why Fleury isn't in (well I can guess it's his substance abuse), but he should get in.
It's actually criminally insane that Fleury isn't in the HOF and makes it look like a kangaroo court is picking the members, Fleury has more credentials than probably 30% of the HOF members.

On topic, Sedins should be in, but after Fleury ;)

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'm all for keeping them out of the Hall. They are not champions. But the bar is pretty low.

As long as we don't let Turgeon in.

So they shouldn't get in because they're not champions, but Fleury should despite an inferior resume because he won one cup while being his team's 10th highest scorer?

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Heh. The HHOF admits 3-4 NHLers per year.

All the geniuses in this thread who say the Sedins won’t or shouldn’t get in should actually take the time to review players who are eligible now and in the next few years. Report back on who gets inducted ahead of them over their first 5 years of eligibility. I wish you people were serious enough to bet big cash with because betting on whether or not the Sedins will make it into the HHOF would be easy money.

Also, “Hall of Very Good” might be the most empty and useless phrase in use on this site. Determining who is in Edgelord McHottake’s personal off-the-cuff and under-researched HOF - a magical place that shockingly over-represents his favorite team and the hockey era he witnessed during his childhood - isn’t exactly a high priority.

Again: 3-4 NHLers enter the HHOF each year. Stick Theo Fleury in if you want. Now review the draft lists +/- 5 years from the Sedins, and also consider the handful of older guys that haven’t been inducted for some reason (e.g. Pierre Turgeon). If you don’t have the Sedins getting in, the onus is on you to tell people who you have ahead of them. Theo Fleury is one guy. You need to come up with like 35+ more names before the generation of Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc. might be eligible for induction. Best of luck - and Happy Valentines Day.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Their primes and peaks were for sure HHoF worthy:

Henrik:

Point finishes: 1, 4, 7, 10
P/GP finishes: 2, 5, 9
Hart finishes: 1, 9, 10

Daniel:

Point finishes: 1, 8
P/GP finishes: 2, 3
Hart finishes: 2

They both as individuals have better primes and peaks than ~40% of Hall of Fame forwards.

And both managed 1000 career points while playing half of their primes in the continuous lowest scoring era since the 1950's.

If there is a problem with them going in... then you have a problem with pretty much half the Hall of Fame.

I take both easily over the likes of Shanahan, Andreychuk, Neely, Nieuwendyk, Gillies, Anderson, Mullen, Gartner, Shutt, Carbonneau, McDonald, Keon and Barber... because they were clearly better players given their era than those guys.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The following is a list of some players (excluding the Sedin brothers) who played in their last NHL season in 2017-18 and did not continue their careers afterwards (i.e., no Jagr):

- Henrik Zetterberg
- Mark Streit
- Brian Gionta
- Alex Burrows
- Dennis Seidenberg
- Marian Gaborik
- Patrick Sharp
- Mike Fisher
- Scott Hartnell
- Jason Chimera
- Rick Nash

There's one really obvious conclusion stemming from this list : Even according to the most unfavourable reading of Henrik's and Daniel Sedin's respective careers, the latter are the second and third best candidates for the Hockey Hall of Fame (the first being Zetterberg, and this is not exactly an extremely obvious case, as Jagr would be).

Also, on a more meta level, it seems to me that the mere fact that a fan of an opposing team writes a 400-word message on a discussion forum (possibly on Valentine's Day!) to explain, in a rather awkward way moreover, that two players should not be admitted to the Hockey Hall of Fame and that their admission would be more political than anything else is more evidence that the players in question will be in the Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

ramdm5

Jan 30, 2015
Sweden
One can always have a discussion on what HoF is and/or should be, and whether a specific player belongs there. I see the discussion of whether the Sedins should be in the HoF as a good subject - it is somewhat debatable. Comparing with Fleury is comedy though.

By the way, there is already 5 players from the Calgary team that won the cup in the HoF already. But sure, lets add the of 'em. Haha, oh man.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
One can always have a discussion on what HoF is and/or should be, and whether a specific player belongs there. So while I see the discussion of whether the Sedins should be in the HoF as a good subject, as it is somewhat debatable, comparing with Fleury is comedy.

By the way, there is already 5 players from the Calgary team that won the cup in the HoF already. But sure, lets add the of 'em. Haha, oh man.

To be honest, Al MacInnis and Doug Gilmour really, but really didn't need that Cup to get in.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Holding career ppg against players who've played 1300 games is hardly fair. There's guys in the HHoF with less than 800 games even.

They were big stars for a decade or so, from 2005 - 2015, winning scoring trophies at their peak. The fact that they started slow in 2000 or that they kept playing as old guys doesn't affect that decade. Add Olympic and WHC Golds to that. HoFers without question.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Holding career ppg against players who've played 1300 games is hardly fair. They were big stars for a decade or so, from 2005 - 2015, winning scoring trophies at their peak. The fact that they started slow in 2000 or that they kept playing as old guys doesn't affect that decade. HoFers without question.

I am commenting in this thread exactly because I couldn't anyway comprehend how this kind thread can even exist in the world's primary internet hockey discussion site. I had to actually check stuff to confirm that I didn't recall things wrong, or that was my perception (then and now) someway skewed.

Simply put. While topic of HHOF induction criteria is a good topic per se, in relation with Sedins it seems to me as out-of-place as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad