The Sedins Were Stars at Best Who had Each Other. Not HHOF Worthy.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
That might be a bit of a pissy sounding title, but listening to Vancouver sports radio over the last few days and there's this local feeling (and growing support league-wide) that these guys should get in the HHOF.

No bloody way.

If these two get in, give Theo Fleury two spots.

This is all BS politics.

Did I like these guys? Sure. Were they classy? Sure. Were they skilled? Yes. Were they superstars? Hell no. Anyone with a brain and saw them regularly saw them as good players, brothers who had each other for support the whole time they played, never won a cup, and were never that exciting to watch. Their stats don't warrant them being in.

Daniel Sedin had 1041 pts in 1306 games for .79 ppg. Finished with 393 goals. Had a Hart Trophy and Lindsey Trophy in 10/11 but that was with 41 goals, 104 pts in a year where Crosby was injured and only played 41 games. No Stanley Cups.

Henrik Sedin had 1070 pts in 1330 games for a .80 ppg. He won the Hart and Art Ross in 09/10 sure, with 29 goals. Finished his career with only 240 goals. No Stanley Cups.

Those are NOT Hockey Hall of Fame numbers, by either of them. I can remember all of about 2 plays by the Sedins. There are some damn questionable HHOF inclusions but the Sedins would be at or near the top IMO. I'd look to watch a Stamkos game and of course an Ovechkin or Crosby game. Never ever a Sedin game.

Meanwhile a 5'6" kid who would carve your eye out to compete against anyone, molested repeatedly by a Junior coach, never given a chance at making it amongst grown men, scores 51 goals in a season, wins a Stanley Cup and a Olympic gold, plays at over a ppg for his career (even though being on many crap Flames teams in the 90s once they had sold off all of their talent), succumbs his career to alcoholism but submits to the NHL's substance abuse program and overcomes his illness to return and retire a Flame.

No way in hell a Sedin should get in and a Theo Fleury doesn't. No way.

And full respect to the Sedins on good careers. But their careers were just that, good. Not great. Sorry if that hurts to hear.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
This league supposedly had a standard of 500 goals for most who played over the last 30 years. Sedins are nowhere close. Stanley Cups were a significant notch on the belt unless you're an Iginla or Thornton.

393 goals and 240 goals.

Nope, doesn't cut it.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

What's so shocking? I don't hate the Sedins or the Canucks.

In 17 years or whatever they played I never stayed up once to watch the Sedins play. I'm willing to bet not many people outside of Vancouver did either. They were not worth the price of admission. Stars yes most years, definitely not superstars outside of one or two when their team was loaded with supporting talent.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
5 out of 5 emotional rant. Would not read again.

If emotion would be not wanting good players who were boring to watch and who got un-HHOF numbers, sign me up.

Also, they retired semi-early after getting juicy contracts to finish their careers with. Must be nice to be so celebrated for meh careers.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Someone's a little butt what did he expect the Vancouver media to say they were average? This was about the Sedins not Fleury. I like Fleury and he deserves the HHOF in my eyes to but this isn't the way to get him nominated by knocking others.

Reactions: Aggie204

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What's so shocking? I don't hate the Sedins or the Canucks.

In 17 years or whatever they played I never stayed up once to watch the Sedins play. I'm willing to bet not many people outside of Vancouver did either. They were not worth the price of admission. Stars yes most years, definitely not superstars outside of one or two when their team was loaded with supporting talent.

That's your problem then. They were magnificent to watch. Completely unique, and played a different style than anyone else, while apparently sharing ESP. They weren't going to barrel down the wing and unload a crazy shot, but they were going to waltz into the zone and even though they weren't bigger or faster than you, they were going to get through your team untouched, even on the wall or from the corner. It was very intricate hockey.

Props for one thing though and that's Theo Fleury is my favorite player of all time. I'm sorry he's overlooked, believe me. But that shouldn't mean the Sedins take a beating for it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Henrik
1x Art Ross (vs prime Sid/Ovy/Malkin)
1x Hart (vs prime Sid/Ovy/Malkin)
2x 1st AST
Points - 1, 4, 7, 10
Assists - 1, 1, 1, 4, 4, 5, 8, 8

Daniel
1x Art Ross
2nd place Hart (close 2nd to Perry)
1x Pearson
1x 1st AST
1x 2nd AST
Points - 1st, 8th
Assists - 3rd, 3rd
Golas - 4th

Henrik peaked higher but both are making the HHOF. IMO Henrik would make it first ballot on his own but both will likely get in their first or second year eligible.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
That's your problem then. They were magnificent to watch. Completely unique, and played a different style than anyone else, while apparently sharing ESP. They weren't going to barrel down the wing and unload a crazy shot, but they were going to waltz into the zone and even though they weren't bigger or faster than you, they were going to get through your team untouched, even on the wall or from the corner. It was very intricate hockey.

Props for one thing though and that's Theo Fleury is my favorite player of all time. I'm sorry he's overlooked, believe me. But that shouldn't mean the Sedins take a beating for it.

I watched a lot of Sedin hockey. IMO, good for most of their career, great for a couple with good supporting casts. Definitely not HHOF Worthy.

Showing up and protesting worthy.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Henrik
1x Art Ross (vs prime Sid/Ovy/Malkin)
1x Hart (vs prime Sid/Ovy/Malkin)
2x 1st AST
Points - 1, 4, 7, 10
Assists - 1, 1, 1, 4, 4, 5, 8, 8

Daniel
1x Art Ross
2nd place Hart (close 2nd to Perry)
1x Pearson
1x 1st AST
1x 2nd AST
Points - 1st, 8th
Assists - 3rd, 3rd
Golas - 4th

Henrik peaked higher but both are making the HHOF. IMO Henrik would make it first ballot on his own but both will likely get in their first or second year eligible.
Whatever happened to career goals and pts?

These guys were just good players who never won a championship. Always had each other.

Not HHOF Worthy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad