The Sedins Were Stars at Best Who had Each Other. Not HHOF Worthy.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Even the Gretzky brothers, while combining for higher points, never demonstrated the level of chemistry, and did not each have an Art Ross.

Reactions: Dyno

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
They sure looked exciting to me when they torched the Flames regularly.

Especially in 2015 lol.

All jokes aside, Sedins are HOF worthy imo.Reputation will play a factor, but they both had really impressive peaks. The whole brotherly thing will help as well. Doubt we'll ever see a duo like them again.

Also, Theo should be in the HOF and have his # retired by the Flames as well.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Looks up how many Games Henrik Sedin Missed in a 10 year span of 2004 and 2014

answer: ZERO

I believe it was Daniel who did have an injury and missed 10 games. So I edited my earlier post, because in that aspect you guys are right. They were quite durable.

Still, that's not usually high in the HHOF consideration checklist.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Especially in 2015 lol.

All jokes aside, Sedins are HOF worthy imo.Reputation will play a factor, but they both had really impressive peaks. The whole brotherly thing will help as well. Doubt we'll ever see a duo like them again.

Hyperbole obviously due to the nature of the OP's rant. Though they dominated play in 2015, but puck luck wasn't on their side

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Especially in 2015 lol.

I never ever found them to be exciting or overly good nor entertaining. They did have a great peak period but the Canucks as a whole were exceptional during those years too.

Combined with their PPG average and low goal totals I just don't see how they qualify using general thought over the last several decades.

But the fact that they were twins and played their whole careers together in Vancouver probably helps their case.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I never ever found them to be exciting or overly good nor entertaining. They did have a great peak period but the Canucks as a whole were exceptional during those years too.

Combined with their PPG average and low goal totals I just don't see how they qualify using general thought over the last several decades.

But the fact that they were twins and played their whole careers together in Vancouver probably helps their case.

I mean assists count as well (this applies to Henrik in particular)... and they did struggle a lot their first few years which drags their PPG down a lot.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Here’s a list of players who won the Art Ross, Hart, and an Olympic Gold but aren’t in the HOF:
Daniel never won an Hart though.

Jamie Benn and Corey Perry probably won't get in and their trophy cases when it's all said and done will look very similar to his. Their stats as well.

The Sedin twins were at the top of the league for 1 year respectively and pretty good most of the time but I agree with OP they aren't HHOF worthy with their stats alone. Their status and unique nature will sway the vote in their favor though.

It's more of a case of the HHOF being not strict enough rather than them being not good enough, really.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
PPG player (6 30+ goal seasons, a 50 goal season, 400+ goals for his career) who's career was cut short from concussions.

If anything, Kariya's inclusion says Theoren Fleury should definitely get in.
randomly mentioning theo over and over instead of sedins which you make thenthread about

I also happen to think Sedins were overrated as ef. Thus I made this thread.
so obviously you will now stay on that topic.

He was over a PPG, finished with more points than either Sedin in less seasons, had 8 30+ goal seasons, 3 40+ goal seasons, a 51 goal season, 455 goals total, won a Stanley Cup, a world Junior gold and an Olympic gold. Had the context of growing up in poverty had neighbors buy him equipment and taken to games, was repeatedly sexually abused by a Junior coach when he was like 15, overcame that, was only 5'6" and drafted in the 8th round (166th overall), overcame his later career substance abuse issues and was resubmitted back into the league to finish his career as a Calgary Flame. I think it's a slam dunk. But because a bunch of voters didn't like him, he's been locked out. I say stand back and have some perspective.
nooooope back to a theo thread.

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
At the end of the day, I want the Sedin twins in the Hall of Fame. They were consistently good players and, frankly, the story of their hockey lives is amazing. Being able to spend their careers together is one of those feel-good tales, and were a unique draw, which I ultimately feel is what the Hall of Fame is there to promote. I agree they're not first ballot inductees, but I have no qualm with their eventual place in conversations about hockey history.

But I'll admit I don't get too worked up one way or the other about Hall of Fame candidates or such things, plus I just find twin studies fascinating.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
They had a couple dominant seasons where they were definitely two of the best players in the world. They also had some very average seasons and couldn’t be counted on for much in the playoffs. It was amazing when they finally developed a transition attack to go along with the endless cycling. I felt they feasted on weak match ups a lot. They loved picking apart the Oilers trash defence. When the going got tough they packed up and went home.

Reactions: Tofveve

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
How can you call players who dominated the league for a couple seasons not stars?

Give me some examples of average players who put up over 100 pts and lead a team to back to back president trophies.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
It's very hard to respect them as men. One of them got literally bullied by Marchand in the cup finals and stood there taking it with no retaliation. They also apparently refused to be drafted until unless they were on the same team. How the hell is that respectable? There's other prospects just dying for their chance.

Also their stats were inflated by the fact that they played with each other and even still they barely got a career 0.80 ppg. Definitely not Hall of Fame worthy at all.

If they didn't have each other all the time they probably would've just had a few 70 point seasons, maybe a few ppg seasons (unlikely), and play at a 60-65pt pace otherwise.

Even William Nylander plays with more fire and testosterone than they ever did

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It's the Hockey Hall of Fame. Not the Hockey Hall of Stats. At the end of the day, the Sedins were and are one of the most unique combos the league has seen. Their chemistry was genuinely special in a way I don't think we've ever seen from two other players...we might never honestly see their like again...what actually are the odds we actually see twins who happen to be star hockey players playing on the same line and same team their entire career? They also have notable trophy cabinets to go along with being probably being the most notable, successful, and durable twins to play together for their careers in sports history. What is the Hall of Fame if not to induct two such successful and ridiculously unique individuals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad