The Sedins Were Stars at Best Who had Each Other. Not HHOF Worthy.

deepthoughtsleafs

Oct 14, 2018
There is not a single eligible player in history with an art ross and hart trophy not in the hall of fame.

There is not a single eligible player in history with an art ross and lindsay trophy not in the hall of fame.

Throw in the fact the twins have olympic and world championship gold to boot, plus they both have over 1k career points, the twins not making it in would actually be an anomaly.

Calling them borderline is delusional. They're locks based on precedent.
Sorry buddy, but the Sedins are in the Hall of Very Good. They do not belong in the Hall of Fame. Maybe if they stringed a couple seasons like 09-10 and won a cup then they would have a good case.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Sorry buddy, but the Sedins are in the Hall of Very Good. They do not belong in the Hall of Fame. Maybe if they stringed a couple seasons like 09-10 and won a cup then they would have a good case.
So by your own standards not a single leafs player in history would be in the hall. Unless you think being #1 out of 6 is better than being #2 out of 30.

Reactions: Dyno and LiveeviL

deepthoughtsleafs

Oct 14, 2018
So by your own standards not a single leafs player in history would be in the hall. Unless you think being #1 out of 6 is better than being #2 out of 30.
That's probably close to the truth. There are probably exceptions. But my personal standards for what I consider a HoFer is that you have to be a generational player and have the resume to back it up (mainly trophies like Hart, Art Ross, Conn Smythe, Norris, Vezinas and Championships). You don't necessarily have to have all of the above but it should be obvious. To make it simpler, here's a gut check I use: if you have any hesitation at all then it's a no.

So take Crosby. You don't even hesitate for a second. But with the Sedins you'd definitely think twice.

NOW, I realize that the actual NHL HoF doesn't have as strict of a criteria and if I don't think it's insane to think the Sedins could make the HoF given those standards. But even using the actual standards that are used, I'd still think Sedins are a no.

My original point was this: It's somewhat of a tossup because they don't have those things.

HALL OF VERY GOOD. Nothing more

Last edited:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
That might be a bit of a pissy sounding title, but listening to Vancouver sports radio over the last few days and there's this local feeling (and growing support league-wide) that these guys should get in the HHOF.

No bloody way.

If these two get in, give Theo Fleury two spots.

This is all BS politics.

Did I like these guys? Sure. Were they classy? Sure. Were they skilled? Yes. Were they superstars? Hell no. Anyone with a brain and saw them regularly saw them as good players, brothers who had each other for support the whole time they played, never won a cup, and were never that exciting to watch. Their stats don't warrant them being in.

Daniel Sedin had 1041 pts in 1306 games for .79 ppg. Finished with 393 goals. Had a Hart Trophy and Lindsey Trophy in 10/11 but that was with 41 goals, 104 pts in a year where Crosby was injured and only played 41 games. No Stanley Cups.

Henrik Sedin had 1070 pts in 1330 games for a .80 ppg. He won the Hart and Art Ross in 09/10 sure, with 29 goals. Finished his career with only 240 goals. No Stanley Cups.

Those are NOT Hockey Hall of Fame numbers, by either of them. I can remember all of about 2 plays by the Sedins. There are some damn questionable HHOF inclusions but the Sedins would be at or near the top IMO. I'd look to watch a Stamkos game and of course an Ovechkin or Crosby game. Never ever a Sedin game.

Meanwhile a 5'6" kid who would carve your eye out to compete against anyone, molested repeatedly by a Junior coach, never given a chance at making it amongst grown men, scores 51 goals in a season, wins a Stanley Cup and a Olympic gold, plays at over a ppg for his career (even though being on many crap Flames teams in the 90s once they had sold off all of their talent), succumbs his career to alcoholism but submits to the NHL's substance abuse program and overcomes his illness to return and retire a Flame.

No way in hell a Sedin should get in and a Theo Fleury doesn't. No way.

And full respect to the Sedins on good careers. But their careers were just that, good. Not great. Sorry if that hurts to hear.

You remember 2 plays?

You just displayed your complete ignorance of the Sedins game. Clearly you saw little of them play.

They had the puck on a string multiple times, in multiple games. Their passing and puck control was unique and rare.

Either way your opinion has no bearing whatsoever. They both will be in the HOF.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiveeviL

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Leave the poor guy alone. He's clearly suffering from a severe case of delusion. Bless his little heart.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

Go ahead...find me a player with an art ross and hart/lindsay not in the hall of fame who is eligible. I'll wait.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
That's probably close to the truth. There are probably exceptions. But my personal standards for what I consider a HoFer is that you have to be a generational player and have the resume to back it up (mainly trophies like Hart, Art Ross, Conn Smythe, Norris, Vezinas and Championships). You don't necessarily have to have all of the above but it should be obvious. To make it simpler, here's a gut check I use: if you have any hesitation at all then it's a no.

So take Crosby. You don't even hesitate for a second. But with the Sedins you'd definitely think twice.

NOW, I realize that the actual NHL HoF doesn't have as strict of a criteria and if I don't think it's insane to think the Sedins could make the HoF given those standards. But even using the actual standards that are used, I'd still think Sedins are a no.

My original point was this: It's somewhat of a tossup because they don't have those things.

Only generational players, huh? So, in your opinion, there should be like a dozen players in total in HHOF? Or maybe your criteria for being called generational is way lower than what I consider generational.

coo1beans

Mar 29, 2010
That might be a bit of a pissy sounding title, but listening to Vancouver sports radio over the last few days and there's this local feeling (and growing support league-wide) that these guys should get in the HHOF.

No bloody way.

If these two get in, give Theo Fleury two spots.

This is all BS politics.

Did I like these guys? Sure. Were they classy? Sure. Were they skilled? Yes. Were they superstars? Hell no. Anyone with a brain and saw them regularly saw them as good players, brothers who had each other for support the whole time they played, never won a cup, and were never that exciting to watch. Their stats don't warrant them being in.

Daniel Sedin had 1041 pts in 1306 games for .79 ppg. Finished with 393 goals. Had a Hart Trophy and Lindsey Trophy in 10/11 but that was with 41 goals, 104 pts in a year where Crosby was injured and only played 41 games. No Stanley Cups.

Henrik Sedin had 1070 pts in 1330 games for a .80 ppg. He won the Hart and Art Ross in 09/10 sure, with 29 goals. Finished his career with only 240 goals. No Stanley Cups.

Those are NOT Hockey Hall of Fame numbers, by either of them. I can remember all of about 2 plays by the Sedins. There are some damn questionable HHOF inclusions but the Sedins would be at or near the top IMO. I'd look to watch a Stamkos game and of course an Ovechkin or Crosby game. Never ever a Sedin game.

Meanwhile a 5'6" kid who would carve your eye out to compete against anyone, molested repeatedly by a Junior coach, never given a chance at making it amongst grown men, scores 51 goals in a season, wins a Stanley Cup and a Olympic gold, plays at over a ppg for his career (even though being on many crap Flames teams in the 90s once they had sold off all of their talent), succumbs his career to alcoholism but submits to the NHL's substance abuse program and overcomes his illness to return and retire a Flame.

No way in hell a Sedin should get in and a Theo Fleury doesn't. No way.

And full respect to the Sedins on good careers. But their careers were just that, good. Not great. Sorry if that hurts to hear.
But tell us how you really feel

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver

I’ll keep asking it: 3-4 NHLers are admitted each year, so who gets in ahead of them over the next 7-10 years?

No kidding Crosby is easy to decide as a HHOFer. But you said yourself that the Sedins are iffy even by actual admission standards. So, using actual admission standards, who is beating them in?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
But still a shocker that two years after they retired, there are still so many Sedin-haters on these boards.

Talk about hyperbole. Acting like the only reason a person might not think they're HOF worthy is because they're a "sedin hater" is a bit irrational. There's maybe a discussion to be had, but it's hardly clear cut unless you think the novelty of twins is HOF worthy on its own

Or you could consider the message instead of the messenger.

There wasn't a "message" to consider, except that the Vancouver beat writer thinks they're HOF'ers, which is to be expected. The tweet was posted with no context like it was from someone whose opinion should carry weight

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Both Art Ross winners.
Both 1000 point players.
One of a kind identical twins to do the above.
The NHL is going to want them in the HHOF

Reactions: LiveeviL

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
This league supposedly had a standard of 500 goals for most who played over the last 30 years. Sedins are nowhere close. Stanley Cups were a significant notch on the belt unless you're an Iginla or Thornton.

393 goals and 240 goals.

Nope, doesn't cut it.

try finding an Art Ross winner who isn’t in the Hall

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Thornton
Ovechkin
Crosby
Iginla
Henrik
Hossa
Daniel

Points ranking thru the arc of their careers. Looks hhof to me

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lee smith and Harold Baines are in Cooperstown. I don’t think baseball is any better at the HOF than hockey

Lee Smith is 3rd all time in saves behind Rivera and Hoffman. I think its a stretch to suggest he doesn't belong. Art Monk retired with the NFL's all time pass receiving record and people wanted to say he didn't belong in the NFL Hall of Fame. You can have all kinds of interesting points of view

Cataphract

Nov 27, 2018
The Stanley Cup is a team award. Certainly, having one could strengthen a HOF consideration by very little, I get you, especially if it's accompanied by a Conn Smythe, but lack of one shouldn't take away anything. Plenty of mediocre players win the Cup every year, plenty of talented stars go without one, especially now with soon to be 32 teams and great parity. Not having a Cup is no fault of individual players. McDavid might go his entire career without winning the SC, but as long as he keeps his pace and has a decently long career, he should be in with or without Cups.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
The Stanley Cup is a team award. Certainly, having one could strengthen a HOF consideration by very little, I get you, especially if it's accompanied by a Conn Smythe, but lack of one shouldn't take away anything. Plenty of mediocre players win the Cup every year, plenty of talented stars go without one, especially now with soon to be 32 teams and great parity. Not having a Cup is no fault of individual players. McDavid might go his entire career without winning the SC, but as long as he keeps his pace and has a decently long career, he should be in with or without Cups.

So true. Darryl Sittler and Dale Hawerchuk are two good examples. It's their body of work and what they brought to the game and community, not individual awards or Cup championships that determine merit for HHOF considerations. Between the two of them, they have zero Stanley Cups, Hart Trophies and Art Ross Trophies. But no one is saying they don't deserve to be in the HHOF.

Reactions: The Pale King

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Legends of Hockey - Induction Showcase - Election Procedures
Playing ability, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her team or teams and to the game of hockey in general.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Does not appear that Fame or notoriety are criteria.

As far as playing ability, the Sedins do not separate themselves from the large list I provided earlier. And who the hell are we to judge sportsmanship, character or contributions of them, compared to the rest of the list I made? Fame does not appear to mean much. Paul Bissonnette may have some of the most 'fame', and contributions to hockey than anyone lately, doesn't mean he should get in (I realize his playing ability was null)

Considering that playing ability is the main criteria to get in, I just don't see how people liking the Sedins makes them HOF worthy. I can admit that I think they 'will' make it. But when they do, they will instantly be on the list of people I don't think should be there.
Playing ability - they were among the best players throughout a long stretch of their careers. They weren’t far-and-away the best, but among the top tier. They’ve both got a little bit of hardware. They had consistency in play throughout. They don’t get in on playing ability alone, but that’s not the only criteria.

Sportsmanship - Is there any deniability that the Sedins were excellent sportsman? They have 3 King Clancy awards for sportsmanship between the two. They’ve made incredible contributions to the sport off the ice as well.

“Fame” and “Notoriety” goes toward character. They are giants in Swedish hockey. Any account you read of them is positive, they’re generally known to be genuinely good people.

And “contributions to his team”.... has any pair of players had as big of an impact on the Canucks as these two?

Just the fact that they are identical twins played their entire hockey careers together (not just NHL their entire HOCKEY careers), they had an unmatched and inimitable chemistry in a sport where chemistry is massively important.

It is the HOCKEY Hall of Fame, I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t want an incredibly notable set of hockey twins into the Hall. If you look at either one of them individually I can see an argument against. But they are more than the sum of their parts. I don’t see any logical argument against putting them in.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
In only 3 of their 17 seasons did they finish over a point per game (Daniel does have an additional season where he finished with 82 points in 82 games)

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Good argument for Theo getting in. Considering the demons he was battling, he had an amazing career. Sedins played hall of fame level against the Oilers. That's all I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad