The Sedins Were Stars at Best Who had Each Other. Not HHOF Worthy.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
And Theo did all that while being a coke-boy / hacking a pack of darts a day, Honestly super impressive, He should be in as well as the sedins

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This league supposedly had a standard of 500 goals for most who played over the last 30 years. Sedins are nowhere close. Stanley Cups were a significant notch on the belt unless you're an Iginla or Thornton.

393 goals and 240 goals.

Nope, doesn't cut it.

So if we're judging strictly by goals, Peter Forsberg wasn't a HOFer?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
So if we're judging strictly by goals, Peter Forsberg wasn't a HOFer?

He had a 1.25 ppg (8th all-time, 4th in assists per game), compared to the Sedins .79 ppg and .80 ppg. His career was cut short by injury and everyone knows that; otherwise a well-accepted superstar his whole career. 885 pts in 708 games over 15 seasons. He also was on two Stanley Cup winning teams in '96 and 2001 on top of individual awards.

Reactions: BillyOcean

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I haven't read this thread. I will concede that the Sedins' individually are not deserving of the HHOF.

However, they are a wholly unique entity in all of sports - Identical twins, playing their entire careers together and on the same line, winning Hart and Art Ross trophies in a period where Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin reigned supreme. Identical twins! I think we have a tendency to understate just how unique this is. To achieve what the Sedins have achieved might never be accomplished again. To me, this gives the Sedins a clear edge over others also waiting for a nomination nod.

They may have to wait a few years to get in, but they will. Their situation is far too unique not to warrant it.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

8LX7psQ

Apr 13, 2010
What's so shocking? I don't hate the Sedins or the Canucks.

In 17 years or whatever they played I never stayed up once to watch the Sedins play. I'm willing to bet not many people outside of Vancouver did either. They were not worth the price of admission. Stars yes most years, definitely not superstars outside of one or two when their team was loaded with supporting talent.

when do your parents make you go to bed?

Reactions: DL44 and Zanon

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Surprised this thread is not dead yet, all we have is someone who doesn't answer questions and keeps repeating the same retort.

Reactions: bh53

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
I'm onboard OP. Some people want to see Patrick marleau get in because he's played a super large amount of games or something.

Lot of these fans don't have much to cheer about, so theyll attach words like "unique" to their star player and add some obscure stat that gives them some perceived weighted value. The underlying numbers arent there. Yes, they may have had a good few seasons or so, but they're not superstars and hall of famers. For every sedin, marleau, and doan (yes..if Arizona fans existed, they'd be advocating for him too), there are ovechkins, Crosby's, mcdavids, and other truly hall of fame players.

It's all a popularity contest and a tourist attraction, so these B and C tier players will make it in though.

Reactions: Tofveve

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Saku Koivu did 0.74 in 1204 games, 8 years as Habs captain and is likely to be out of the HHOF.
because the sedins peak was top 5 in the league. they were dominate. this is the NHL hof not mlb.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'm onboard OP. Some people want to see Patrick marleau get in because he's played a super large amount of games or something.

Lot of these fans don't have much to cheer about, so theyll attach words like "unique" to their star player and add some obscure stat that gives them some perceived weighted value. The underlying numbers arent there. Yes, they may have had a good few seasons or so, but they're not superstars and hall of famers. For every sedin, marleau, and doan (yes..if Arizona fans existed, they'd be advocating for him too), there are ovechkins, Crosby's, mcdavids, and other truly hall of fame players.

It's all a popularity contest and a tourist attraction, so these B and C tier players will make it in though.

Like NHL scoring titles & a hart trophy?? :laugh::laugh:

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Judging a player's value by his career total is extremely misleading. I'm taking Tim Thomas ahead of Kari Lethonen, Shea Weber ahead of Phil Housley and I don't even know how Trevor Linden could be mentioned in the same breath as the Sedins.

It's the Hall of FAME. People in 40 years will remember the Sedins for their combinaison of elite play (yes they were) and uniqueness. I don't see myself talking to my grandchildren about Patrick Marleau.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Leading the league in assists for three straight yrs is also pretty elite company.

Reactions: LiveeviL

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
That title is terrible. Should be:
The Sedins Were Stars, at Best, Who had Each Other. Not HHOF Worthy

Mine was actually grammatically correct. But to maintain the meaning I intended, an alternate way would be to write it:

The Sedins Were Stars at Best, Who: Were Coddled From Day 1 by Demanding to Play With Each Other, and Maintaining That Demand Throughout Their Whole Careers Making it Nearly Impossible to Move Them (While Benefiting Mostly Themselves) - Particularly Once Their Careers Started to Decline Shortly After 2011 (and After Signing Their Expensive, Over-Paid Final Contracts With No-Movement Clauses). Not HHOF Worthy.

But there wasn't enough room in the title for all of that.

Good day.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I haven't read this thread. I will concede that the Sedins' individually are not deserving of the HHOF.

However, they are a wholly unique entity in all of sports - Identical twins, playing their entire careers together and on the same line, winning Hart and Art Ross trophies in a period where Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin reigned supreme. Identical twins! I think we have a tendency to understate just how unique this is. To achieve what the Sedins have achieved might never be accomplished again. To me, this gives the Sedins a clear edge over others also waiting for a nomination nod.

They may have to wait a few years to get in, but they will. Their situation is far too unique not to warrant it.

they will probably get in a long With Iginla and a couple other guys. but yea, I don't think we will ever see a set of twins play together and play at a high level again in any major sport.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

There's a whole group of other players in the good not great category like Jason Arnott and John LeClair - both Stanley Cup winners to boot. And both finished their careers with more goals than the Sedins too. Heck, LeClair was the 2nd best player to Lindros on the vaunted Legion of Doom line (had 3 consecutive 50 goal seasons and 5 40+ seasons in a row).

You are right, it's turning into a popularity contest.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
And Theo did all that while being a coke-boy / hacking a pack of darts a day, Honestly super impressive, He should be in as well as the sedins
That's exactly why the NHL higher ups treat him with such disrespect. I agree though and Fleury is one of my favourite players of all time. He should've been in a long time ago IMO. I just don't get why OP included him in this thread about the Sedins.

"Demanding to play on the same line." LOL. Why do you think Vancouver got both, OP? You also call them "high maintenance players." It's more like the exact opposite. You're just making things up on the fly now, are you?

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Why would you want to play Henrik and Daniel apart? They fed off each other better than any two players in history. How about the team just go get a second liner if you need to spread the wealth?

Not sure I really like the idea that they aren't hall of fame worthy because they signed contracts that were offered to them, which had trade protection. Nobody put a gun in Vancouver's mouth. They were happy to make those concessions to get them at a discount individually.

Last edited:

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Mine was actually grammatically correct. But to maintain the meaning I intended, an alternate way would be to write it:

The Sedins Were Stars at Best, Who: Were Coddled From Day 1 by Demanding to Play With Each Other, and Maintaining That Demand Throughout Their Whole Careers Making it Nearly Impossible to Move Them (While Benefiting Mostly Themselves) - Particularly Once Their Careers Started to Decline Shortly After 2011 (and After Signing Their Expensive, Over-Paid Final Contracts With No-Movement Clauses). Not HHOF Worthy.

But there wasn't enough room in the title for all of that.

Good day.
Hey mods, I am truly sorry if you do not like this post. I looked it over a lot and truly do not believe I am breaking rules. Please do not ding me.

OP- I truly believe this thread should be deleted for being a troll post for being so obviously meant to upset Canucks fans. I will not insult you, but I want to take to task your very intentionally inflammatory digs towards the Canucks fans. You just want to start arguments. You have a very poor take. You should not be allowed to post this stuff anymore.

Good for you- your team won a cup that ours didn’t, probably 14 years or so before you were born. Oooooh sick burn. Please grow up. The only thing fleury has over the Sedins is a sad story. A sad story I want to kill graham James for. But it doesn’t make fleury a better candidate.
They’re all hall of famers. Put down your weird grudge, buddy. I love you.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Hey mods, I am truly sorry if you do not like this post. I looked it over a lot and truly do not believe I am breaking rules. Please do not ding me.

OP- I truly believe this thread should be deleted for being a troll post for being so obviously meant to upset Canucks fans. I will not insult you, but I want to take to task your very intentionally inflammatory digs towards the Canucks fans. You just want to start arguments. You have a very poor take. You should not be allowed to post this stuff anymore.

Good for you- your team won a cup that ours didn’t, probably 14 years or so before you were born. Oooooh sick burn. Please grow up. The only thing fleury has over the Sedins is a sad story. A sad story I want to kill graham James for. But it doesn’t make fleury a better candidate.
They’re all hall of famers. Put down your weird grudge, buddy. I love you.

Yeah sure you believe all of that. I was responding to a guy who doesn't know English grammar well and was needling my title with bold lettering. I hope you caught that and how my post that you quoted was just responding to him.

Imagine reporting a legitimate thread. Good grief, person, there were valid points throughout. You perhaps, can't handle the truth.

Then when I don't respond, people suggest that I'm not responding to posts in this thread. Can't please everyone.

I decreased the font size of that post he was quoting if that will help you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad