The Sedins Were Stars at Best Who had Each Other. Not HHOF Worthy.

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
The politics is how many Canucks are in the HHOF? How many cups have they won? That franchise hasn't had much of anything so give them this.

Basically they had Pavel Bure.

Also, most people who vote or even just the regular broader league fanbase don't realize how average the Sedins were.

The problem is average hockey fans wouldn't understand the amazing ability of the Sedin's. So you proved that you are an average fan. The Sedin's did so many little things that hockey players would see and be amazed at their ability. They were both extremely talented players who had careers that can be in the HOF.

Just ask any friends or relatives or someone that played hockey at a high level about the Sedin's and they can explain it to you because a message board won't convince you.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
The Sedin's brought something to the league that was incredibly unique. How many other sets of twins are there that played together for an entire career and had both amassing over 1000 points? None that I'm aware of. On top of that they have individual hardware and a great international legacy.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Hall of fame is not just about pure stats, it's about the impact their careers had on hockey and the NHL. Two brothers drafted at the same time, both highly skilled players that won awards and played on the same line and the same team for 17 years, both scoring over 1,000 points. They were probably one of the hardest lines to play against in the league throughout most of their careers as well. I think they deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

Oct 18, 2011
That might be a bit of a pissy sounding title, but listening to Vancouver sports radio over the last few days and there's this local feeling (and growing support league-wide) that these guys should get in the HHOF.

No bloody way.

If these two get in, give Theo Fleury two spots.

This is all BS politics.

Did I like these guys? Sure. Were they classy? Sure. Were they skilled? Yes. Were they superstars? Hell no. Anyone with a brain and saw them regularly saw them as good players, brothers who had each other for support the whole time they played, never won a cup, and were never that exciting to watch. Their stats don't warrant them being in.

Daniel Sedin had 1041 pts in 1306 games for .79 ppg. Finished with 393 goals. Had a Hart Trophy and Lindsey Trophy in 10/11 but that was with 41 goals, 104 pts in a year where Crosby was injured and only played 41 games. No Stanley Cups.

Henrik Sedin had 1070 pts in 1330 games for a .80 ppg. He won the Hart and Art Ross in 09/10 sure, with 29 goals. Finished his career with only 240 goals. No Stanley Cups.

Those are NOT Hockey Hall of Fame numbers, by either of them. I can remember all of about 2 plays by the Sedins. There are some damn questionable HHOF inclusions but the Sedins would be at or near the top IMO. I'd look to watch a Stamkos game and of course an Ovechkin or Crosby game. Never ever a Sedin game.

Meanwhile a 5'6" kid who would carve your eye out to compete against anyone, molested repeatedly by a Junior coach, never given a chance at making it amongst grown men, scores 51 goals in a season, wins a Stanley Cup and a Olympic gold, plays at over a ppg for his career (even though being on many crap Flames teams in the 90s once they had sold off all of their talent), succumbs his career to alcoholism but submits to the NHL's substance abuse program and overcomes his illness to return and retire a Flame.

No way in hell a Sedin should get in and a Theo Fleury doesn't. No way.

And full respect to the Sedins on good careers. But their careers were just that, good. Not great. Sorry if that hurts to hear.
It's the hall of fame, not the hall of stats

They're going to be hall of famers because they're twins who were both elite players. Again it's the hall of FAME it's not something that's happened in the sport before

Reactions: Red

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
They'll get in for the simple reason that they're unique. Chances are exceedingly good that the NHL will never see twin brothers, playing their entire career of 1300+ games for the same team, & each being genuine stars ever again.

Individually, no they don't have the stats or hardware. Taken as a whole though given just how unusual they were, they're getting in. Maybe not first round (although I wouldn't bet against that), but they'll be there fairly soon.

(and I've been wanting Fleury in for a long time too if that matters...)

How many Hart winning Centers are not in the HOF? Honestly curious can't be many. Add Olympic gold, long healthy career and three times assist leader and I think he is a slamdunk. Daniel is more borderline for me but will get in based on the novelty(probaly belongs regardless mind you).

Reactions: Leksand

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
OP: "The Sedins were nothing special, they were so boring."

The Sedins:

Which other star forwards would have a great higlight reel for 22 minutes, where there's only a couple of goals in total? None. If that's not unique, then what is?

If advanced stats would have existed when they played, their numbers would be so ridiculous it would look like calculation errors. Just imagine their corsi and fenwick numbers. They didn't bring pain through hits, they brought pain to their opponents by making them so tired, they would long for nothing else but the opportunity to leave the ice. At even strength. Then the opponents sit there, gasping for air, dead tired and then realize they have to go back out there in a couple of minutes, facing the Sedins, again. Oh, such joy.

Anyone who played with them was instantly a first liner. I mean, look at the average NHL'ers that played with them. Then notice how they had career years playing with the Sedins.

Sure, they weren't as flashy as other superstars. They didn't showboat. But they sure made people stand up from their seats and make the arena go crazy, by methodically and skillfully sucking all energy out of their opponents.

Or you want examples of flashy plays, OP? Ok.

The #1 goal on that list is one of the prettiest hockey goals I've ever seen. How about that?

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
They were supreme talents but I do think they benefited a lot from the previous iteration of hockey (one that was more slower, methodical, and cycle based and not this run and gun style we have today)

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
I mean there are several worse posts in this very thread(including OP).

Posts that claim being sexually abused is "living the dream", and that a struggle with alcoholism which developed because of this abuse, for which Fleury checked himself into a substance abuse program thereby deserving our absolute respect and admiration, means he "couldn't stay off the booze"? No. There is only one post displaying such a disgusting lack of empathy and complete failure to understand reality. The poster basically took Fleury's two greatest achievements in life, and claimed they were personal failings. I don't know how one can look at Fleury's life and dismiss a man who overcame both sexual abuse and alcoholism, when in fact they are the true measure of his greatness as a person, far surpassing the respect he deserves as a hockey player. Sexual abuse is not "living the dream", and Fleury's alcoholism, which he kicked!, was not a symptom of weakness as the poster disappointingly suggests. So no, no other posts in this thread, and no other posts I've read in a long, long time, are more contemptible to me.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Back-of-the-envelope math:

If a maximum of 4 players can be inducted per year to the HHOF, then on average, each draft class these days will likely see 2-4 HHOFers (allowing for the maximum not being reached and/or older inductees prior to whatever the modern rules are).

Given that there are about 15+ active draft classes in the game, a conservative range of 30-60 current NHLers can be expected to be HHOFers with the induction rules unchanged.

The Sedins are absolutely HHOFers.

Not to mention, amongst players that will become eligible at the same time as the Sedins, there is only one player with a remote claim at being a better player than the Sedins (Zetterberg).

Sedins are getting in.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
They were supreme talents but I do think they benefited a lot from the previous iteration of hockey (one that was more slower, methodical, and cycle based and not this run and gun style we have today)

To a certain extent. The same way Scott Stevens and Mark Messier could play the same way they did because of the era they played in, and would have to play different if they were active today.

Both were judged according to their career and (very easily and uncontrovesially) made it to the HHOF.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leksand

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Not sure what your rant is about, they were definetely HHOF. I think they pretty much dominated for a good 5 year period at the very least and were right up there at the top of the league

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
It's the HHOF not the NHLHOF, they have very solid international careers too. Gold medals at the EJC, Olympics and WC.
This. Everyone instantly thinks "NHL Hall of Fame" but international play carries weight. No, their NHL career might not be enough to do it; their international achievements and impact on the game pushes them over the top.

deepthoughtsleafs

Oct 14, 2018
I honestly think Sedins are not HOFers. There's always three main factors in a HOF candidate.
1. Longevity
2. Peak
3. Championships

Sedins have Longevity and half of a Peak and 0 Chips. That's not enough for me. If they had several years like they had in 09-10 then they would be a lock. But they never really dominated the game consistently outside that season. The Hall of Fame should be reserved for all time greats not all time good or all time almost great.
Sedins to me even if they inducted are the type of Hall of Famers that I would never take on a NHL history team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And we're supposed to give the Vancouver beat reporter's thoughts on the Sedin's extra weight or something? He'd literally be run out of town if he said anything else, so not exactly impartial opinion

Well, I'd give this guy's opinion much bigger weight than the OP's.

I understand the concept of a small Hall, and that both would be kept out of a Small Hall.

But the HHOF isn't a small Hall, and a pair of twins playing in the same city for their whole career while collecting a Hart and a Pearson along the way is a very odd place to start.

Both (and Fleury) should make it.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
And we're supposed to give the Vancouver beat reporter's thoughts on the Sedin's extra weight or something? He'd literally be run out of town if he said anything else, so not exactly impartial opinion

Premise of this thread is as far from impartial as possible, and that is reflected in many comments too. On general level, if you could provide a single impartial source about Sedins potential for HHOF induction, I and most likely many others too would be happy.

There are no such neutral hockey cornucopia for this in principle easy topic, how there could be such ones for more complex ones?

Its opinion like any else, and not necessarily the least informed.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The Sedins have identical PPG averages for their careers, unfortunately, it's only .80 points per game

If you're known for your offense, averaging 65 - 66 points per season over the course of your career shouldn't warrant induction into the Hall of Fame

Naslund averaged .86 points per game for his career, but nobody is pushing for his induction

Turgeon still hasn't been inducted, despite averaging 1.03 points per game in nearly 1300 games

wreckless

Apr 27, 2010
vancouver
casuals will always have terrible takes.

HOF discussions aside, watching them from 2009-2011 was incredible.

there was a stretch of 25 games-ish back in 2010 where they won 90% of them and each game was complete and utter dominance. they'd gain the zone like nothing, a few (or way more) sauces later highlight reel goal. there would literally be 10-15 TV worthy highlight real plays a game, every game, no exception.

it was so different than they way other superstars dominated in the past (Avs/Wings years, Pens/Hawks/Kings etc) in that it was with so much ease. opposing teams would just sit back and be like "uh oh" and Sedins would have their way. puck possession on a different scale.

hard to explain but those who watched know.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
The Sedins have identical PPG averages for their careers, unfortunately, it's only .80 points per game

If you're known for your offense, averaging 65 - 66 points per season over the course of your career shouldn't warrant induction into the Hall of Fame

Naslund averaged .86 points per game for his career, but nobody is pushing for his induction

Turgeon still hasn't been inducted, despite averaging 1.03 points per game in nearly 1300 games
Era dependent. Turgeon racked up a lot of points pre-DPE. Naslund has a case when compared to Neely, Bure, Kariya, etc but lack of deep playoff runs hurt. Someone has to be the last man out.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Era dependent. Turgeon racked up a lot of points pre-DPE. Naslund has a case when compared to Neely, Bure, Kariya, etc but lack of deep playoff runs hurt. Someone has to be the last man out.

Even adjusting for era, Turgeon had 517 goals, 1315 points in 1294 games, so his PPG is about the same

Adjusted for era, Daniel, for example, had 442 goals, 1154 points in 1306 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad