The Sabres are one of the best teams in the league, and Jack Eichel still doesn’t get any love

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
I thought Eichel looked great last night against us. It looks like he's been working on his defensive game as well. Having a talented winger like Skinner has helped for sure. Sabres as a team looked solid, I was impressed. Wondering how their goaltending will hold up but if it does I think they are a play off team for sure.

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Dumped on, as in they won no recent games, against, imo, better teams. The talk around here, would lead you to believe they could have at least dismantled the ****ty Leafs or Preds. I don't care about how they lost the games. If you feel good about how Buffalo played, great. They looked pretty bad as a team. Can't take anything away from Eichel tho, guy is great.
They actually out played the Leafs pretty badly last night in game 4 of a 4 in 6 nights stretch that saw them get back from Nashville at 1am the morning of the game. They should have won.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Eichel is given plenty of credit on the main boards, I find.

A lot of Toronto fans seem to possess an irrational hatred for him but aside from them I don’t find he’s really underrated on HF.

Think most would have him ranked at least as a top 25-30 forward in the league, which is about right.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I think it's a bit early to call the Sabres one of the best teams in the league. I definitely think they'll be there one day in the near future, but I'm not sure if this hot streak they've been riding recently is their arrival just yet. That being said, it's definitely true that Eichel doesn't get the credit that he deserves. He's an elite talent and Buffalo is lucky to have him.
The Sabres are one of the top teams in the standings tonight, but they are not one of the best teams in the league, for sure.

A good offseason or two should hopefully get them there.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Eichel is given plenty of credit on the main boards, I find.

A lot of Toronto fans seem to possess an irrational hatred for him but aside from them I don’t find he’s really underrated on HF.

Think most would have him ranked at least as a top 25-30 forward in the league, which is about right.

Let's not go down that road, the same can be said regarding many Sabres fans and Matthews. There are threads that could be bumped filled with all kinds of irrational Sabres fan rage towards the kid. The teams are regional rivals, any excuse to tear the other down is a good one. Both sides are guilty of it.

As for Eichel, he has local media and the two national media's. In spite of what a bunch of people seem to think the NHL Network isnt in Canada and Canadians arent their audience, so if they arent talking about the kid that's not on "eastern Canadian bias". It seems like certain fans think that if Toronto isnt talking about your favourite player he must be getting the short end of the stick somehow on the media front.

Just an fyi though, the Sabres and Eichel were talked about in Torontos local media today. Overdrive was very complimentary of the Sabres and Eichel. Ferraro said it was a rare regular season game that had a playoff atmosphere.

Reactions: Flipwon

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I think the answer is simple. Nobody argues of everyone agrees. He's a really good centre, what's to talk about?

And I think he's talked about quite a bit. Hes likely hockey's most memed general manager.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I noticed that odd stat...leads the NHL in shots on goal, 5.7% shooting and 7 goals....yikes Scooby!

His career shooting % is close to 10%, so yeah, despite all the assists (many to Skinner), Eichel has been a bit snakebit with a low SH% this year.

Expect those numbers to regress to the mean and for Eichel to start potting more goals as the season goes on.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He gets talked about plenty! There is a million threads on here about him!

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Dumped on, as in they won no recent games, against, imo, better teams. The talk around here, would lead you to believe they could have at least dismantled the ****ty Leafs or Preds. I don't care about how they lost the games. If you feel good about how Buffalo played, great. They looked pretty bad as a team. Can't take anything away from Eichel tho, guy is great.

:rolleyes: You're just taking cheap shots at the Sabres when you could insert 25 other teams into the category of losing three one-goal games to the top three teams by points. "Dumped on"? Dumb, cheap, biased, inflammatory rhetoric. Whatever makes you feel good though...

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
When either of the sabres or leafs win a round they will get credit they deserve, until then hf wont acknowledge them. After that hf will call them chokers till they go a bit further and further. How its works

As long as it isn't Tampa Bay.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
How can anyone dismiss the good/excellent results that the Sabres have this season. Just like all teams, will their last 2/3 of the season be the same as the first third? We'll find out. Good for the Sabres doing so well this year. Even Ottawa and Montreal have done better than expected, so the Atlantic looks so far as being the premier division.

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018
How can anyone dismiss the good/excellent results that the Sabres have this season. Just like all teams, will their last 2/3 of the season be the same as the first third? We'll find out. Good for the Sabres doing so well this year. Even Ottawa and Montreal have done better than expected, so the Atlantic looks so far as being the premier division.
The problem lies not with the wins, but how they're winning. Typically teams streaking one goal games dont have the best success in the post-season if they make it.

Also, Jack is a ginger.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Too lazy to go through the whole thread, so I'll apologize if it's been brought up already.

What's with the shooting percentage? I don't watch enough of him to have an educated opinion. Is his shot bad or is he riding a historically bad cold streak?

His shot total is one of the best in the league......but he's shooting at what, 4%?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Too lazy to go through the whole thread, so I'll apologize if it's been brought up already.

What's with the shooting percentage? I don't watch enough of him to have an educated opinion. Is his shot bad or is he riding a historically bad cold streak?

His shot total is one of the best in the league......but he's shooting at what, 4%?

Just a cold streak, he's normally a 10% shooter. Part of it is that he's been trying really hard to possess the puck and control the play in the ozone, now that he's had some wingers that know how to work around the net. Eichel's been looking to create or taking some shots from range for rebound chances.

Reactions: HugginThePost

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Strange thread. He gets more than enough love from most fans. He's often cited as one of the future top C's in the league.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I really hope Toronto and Buffalo meet in the playoffs. That would be epic!

considering where the two teams were 3 years ago, i dont think anyone would have guessed that.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Just a cold streak, he's normally a 10% shooter. Part of it is that he's been trying really hard to possess the puck and control the play in the ozone, now that he's had some wingers that know how to work around the net. Eichel's been looking to create or taking some shots from range for rebound chances.

Thanks for that.....

Man, if he ever gets his scoring touch back.......the kid will be a beast.

Always liked him. He's put up with a lot of shit in Buffalo.

I hope they have real success this year.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad