The Sabres are one of the best teams in the league, and Jack Eichel still doesn’t get any love

HappySabresFan

Jul 1, 2018
He starting to get more love, it wasn't happening before because he was injured these last two seasons, played on some unwatchable teams, and played in maybe the smallest market in the NHL.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If you replaced Eichel with any player in NHL history at their peak do you think the Sabres would have made the play-off's the last couple of years? I sure don't think so.

just as a quick thought experiment the Sabres had a horrific -81 goal differential last year and that's with Eichel putting up 64 points,even making the generous assumption that every extra point is equal to an extra goal created(which obviously isn't how it works) it would take replacing Eichel with some player that beat McDavid for the Art Ross by about 40 points just to get them out of the negatives

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
If you replaced Eichel with any player in NHL history at their peak do you think the Sabres would have made the play-off's the last couple of years? I sure don't think so.

I'm not blaming him for it, it's just that the playoffs get more interest and are treated as a more important time to succeed as a player.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He's elite, future top 10 C in the league. His play away from the puck could get better along with his compete level at all times but other than that, he's got an elite skillset and physical tools.

Those things are the #1 reason he's breaking out this year. He's taken huge steps forward in his play away from the puck. (The #2 reason is that he finally has a winger who knows that finish isn't just a nationality.)

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He's elite, future top 10 C in the league. His play away from the puck could get better along with his compete level at all times but other than that, he's got an elite skillset and physical tools.
He's a current top 10 C in the league.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Well he got a lot of hype right away and was really over rated. At the draft he was called Generational and then was clearly not on McDavid's level. Then the following year Matthews gets drafted and everyone says Eichel is better, and Matthews goes on and scores 40 as a rookie taking home the Calder and Eichel again gets knocked down a peg.

Then we got to the point where he was underrated last season. This year he finally got some linemates and is showing he belongs in that conversation. The natural elastic of this will mean he will keep going up as long as the Sabres stay in the playoffs.

I made a thread in the offseason saying he would break out. He is a tremendous player and the talent is evident. I don't think he is like in that tier right below McDavid just yet but the one below that in the Seguin/Getzlaf tier of guys. However he is very fun to watch and I think is close to being rated properly.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I think the (mainly American) media shoving him down our throats as McDavid's near equal turned many people off of him.

Franchise talent and he's been playing like it

Reactions: Voight

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Who was that Sabres fan that made a thread earlier this season about how he was basically done with Eichel? That thread was a real winner.

Anyway as a Sabres fan I'm just happy they've drastically improved. If they keep it up the accolades will come. If that matters to you.

Reactions: Hasek

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
He's a current top 10 C in the league.

More like he's played like one this season, which is true.

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Mackinnon
Matthews
Bergeron
Barkov
Tavares
Eichel
Point

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Obviously Sakic wasn't propped up by Hejduk before Hejduk began his NHL career. But by about 2000 Hejduk was leading the league in scoring.
1998-1999 Sakic 96 points (5th), Hedjduk 48 points
1999-2000 Sakic 81 points (tied for 8th), Hejduk 72 points
2000-2001 Sakic 118 points (2nd), Hejduk 79 points
2001-2002 Sakic 79 points (tied for 5th in league), Hejduk 44 points

It wasn't until 2002-03 that Hejduk (98 points in 82 games) outscored Sakic (58 points in 58 games), but Hejduk never led the league (Forsberg, Naslund and Thornton were all ahead of Hejduk).

And then...
2003-2004 Sakic 87 points (tied for 2nd), Hejduk 75 points
2005-2006 Sakic 87 points (tied for 17th), Hejduk 58 points
2006-2007 Sakic 100 points (tied for 6th), Hejduk 70 points
2007-2008 Sakic 40 points in 44 games (0.91 ppg), Hejduk 54 points in 77 games(0.70 ppg)
2008-2009 Sakic 12 points in 15 games (0.80 ppg), Hejduk 59 points in 82 games (0.72 ppg)

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Sabres have a great young team likely on their way to being one of the best, but there’s still growing to do before they get there.

Eichel is there. No one should doubt he’s a franchise C at this point, and he’s definitely living up to his draft hype/potential.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Could Jack Eichel score more than 60 points without Jeff Skinner on his wing?

Skinner is this decade's Milan Hejduk. A winger who is responsible for all of the success of the centre (Eichel or Sakic). Yet the winger gets overlooked due to east coast Canadian bias

Wow, you have this exactly backwards.

Skinner is a very good player, don’t get me wrong, but he owes his success this season to Eichel far more than the other way around.

Eichel gift-wraps countless golden scoring chances for Skinner nearly every game. Skinner gets credit for cashing so many of them in, but Eichel is the one driving that line.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
thankfully you are no where close to evaluating talent for the leafs, you would probably get them back to a lottery pick in short order.

If I would take Eichel I would probably bring them the Stanley Cup first time since colour TV came.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't think Buffalo is this good at all. Not yet.

Eichel, it was only a matter of time as a top 2 pick that he would begin to dominate. I still dream he hates Buffalo and comes to the Bruins.

Reactions: Prospero

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
They just got dumped on by the upper echelon of hockey teams. Give these threads a rest. A good team, trending upwards. Nothing special, at all, not yet.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Ive never understood why Eichel isn’t talked about more. Guy is elite and a huge reason of why the Sabres are doing so well. Where’s all the love for Eichel?
I can't really agree with Eichel not getting any love. He's a great player and most hockey fans recognize this. Not sure what you mean, is it fans or hockey media?

Also, after every Sabres - Leafs game, go to the Leafs GDT and post game threads, you'll get an unusually unhealthy dose of Eichel hate, if they win or lose. Outside of that arena I see Eichel spoken of fairly respectfully.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's kinda amazing how good Buffalo looks now compared to a year ago. They definitely are a good team now. Come April? We'll see. Next year, will they regress or take another step forward? Guess that's why they play the game.

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
So when the Sabres were terrible and you tried to criticize Eichel you got flak because “the Sabres were awful and it’s a team game”, but now that the Sabres are doing well Eichel deserves love?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->