The Sabres are one of the best teams in the league, and Jack Eichel still doesn’t get any love

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
This is a very popular opinion voiced often on the Leafs board, like Matthews is Channing Tatum.

There should be an Internet law that before you comment on anybody's looks you have to include a verified current photo of yourself. Would cut down on 90% of insults based on looks.
Weren't you done with Eichel like a month ago?

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Oh come on. I hate the Leafs as much as anyone but if you don't think they are an excellent team you're being completely daft. And the numbers suggest the "Leafs have no defense" narrative isn't all it's cracked up to be.
They are an amazing offensive team, yes. Best "top 9" in the history of the world as a matter of fact, but that defense is comparable to Buzz's girlfriend on Home Alone. Come playoff time, I expect the Leafs to fold hard against a big boy D squad like the Lightning or whichever of the Preds/Jets comes out of the West.

I dont hate the Leafs at all, nor the Sabres. Sabres are headed in the right direction. The Leafs remind me of the Blackhawks at this point without having the Cup wins to show for it.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I one million percent disagree. The Leafs are a pretty bad defensive team and the Sabres still did not look like much of an offensive threat. The Leafs do have holy crap game-breaking offensive players obviously. Eichel for the majority of the game was trying to do it all himself.

The Leafs are slightly ahead of the Sabres overall, but they as well are getting elite goaltending that isn't likely to last.

The Preds are a real wagon.

Without Ullmark making 4 or 5 huge saves last night that game was blowout. I'd garner the leads jave a higher % of dangerous shots compared to most.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
My team played in a different time zone the night before. You saw I was giving you guys a compliment, would it kill you to show some class and give us credit for giving you guys a tough battle?

The Sabers played well, doesnt mean the Leafs didnt jave a bad game. Its a fact, why sugar coat it? Back to backs happen to all teams, and you were in a 1 hour time change. The Sabers are ahead of where they should be, but still not Leafs level and that's ok for now.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I one million percent disagree. The Leafs are a pretty bad defensive team and the Sabres still did not look like much of an offensive threat. The Leafs do have holy crap game-breaking offensive players obviously. Eichel for the majority of the game was trying to do it all himself.

The Leafs are slightly ahead of the Sabres overall, but they as well are getting elite goaltending that isn't likely to last.

The Preds are a real wagon.

So much cringe I don’t know where to begin man but it’s clear you’ve painted a picture with your earlier post not necessarily the one I’m quoting saying “they finally played a real team last night against the preds”, I’m pretty sure that Winnipeg and Minnesota have two arenas where last season and this season, did I don’t know, a combined ten teams win in those arenas in regulation? Buffalo did it two weeks ago on back to back nights. Are they not playoff teams?,.... and buffalo won on back to back nights, they even won in regulation coming back from down 2-0 to beat the wild 3-2. I guess that doesent count? How can you even suggest the sabres are getting “lucky” and all the bounces when 13 of there last 14 games were decided by one goal. They have four, yes just four regulation losses in their last 21 games! Oh and those two wins I just eluded to above over the jets and wild, they even beat Tampa bay right before that As well. Are they not a real team? Then when the streak got snapped and buffalo lost for the first time in 11 games to Tampa (barely) it was by one goal 5-4 on the road where buffalo even had a 4-3 lead in the third. Not a bad way to lose considering tampa is indeed that good, and had beaten them the week prior. Then against these two other great teams in Nashville and Toronto losing on back to back nights against Yet AGAIN both by one goal. Infact after winning ten in a row the sabres have lost the last four 0-2-2 ALL by one goal in every single game.

So this whole getting lucky narrative is so far from the truth, we even were the tired team and Toronto didn’t even outshoot buffalo in one of the four periods yesterday. Not one. So who’s the lucky one here? I’m not doubting Toronto is a lot better then buffalo because they are but this delusion you and seemingly only you have created that buffalo is just a fluke team that got lucky for a week or two is so far off. Are they top of the league good, top five team good? Of course not.

You can believe this all you want, and make no mistake here, the team is not contenders yet by a long shot but to just dismiss success and say they have gotten lucky and caught every team they beat on off nights, all bad teams and finally played a good team the last two games is so far from the truth. It sounds more what you want the truth to be rather then what it is.

That’s the difference here, no one is saying the sabres are better then the leafs or even in their tier, but they are improving whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
People don't get how dominant he is. Always the most impactful player on the ice. Controls the pace. Are we going to suddenly act like Jeff Skinner is a superstar? Eichel has always been on par with every young player besides 97, some people were just too stupid and stubborn to see it. If he can do this with Skinner, imagine what he could do with Nylander, Marner, Tavares and Kadri.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
People don't get how dominant he is. Always the most impactful player on the ice. Controls the pace. Are we going to suddenly act like Jeff Skinner is a superstar? Eichel has always been on par with every young player besides 97, some people were just too stupid and stubborn to see it. If he can do this with Skinner, imagine what he could do with Nylander, Marner, Tavares and Kadri.
Matthews has only played with one of those guys for a significant period of time. He put up high-end production even when playing with Hyman and Brown as a 19-year-old rookie. Babcock has never stacked Matthews 5v5 line, and has only put him on the clear top PP this year.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Matthews has only played with one of those guys for a significant period of time. He put up high-end production even when playing with Hyman and Brown as a 19-year-old rookie. Babcock has never stacked Matthews 5v5 line, and has only put him on the clear top PP this year.
Matthews still obviously benefits from their presence. With Buffalo, if you stop Eichel you win. Teams can devote all their resources to it.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The Sabres played well, doesnt mean the Leafs didnt jave a bad game. Its a fact, why sugar coat it? Back to backs happen to all teams, and you were in a 1 hour time change. The Sabres are ahead of where they should be, but still not Leafs level and that's ok for now.
I am well aware we aren't at the level of the Leafs or Tampa. I have no expectations whatsoever of a top 2 finish because they are literally 2 of the top 3 teams in the entire league. My concern is Boston and the Habs and finishing top 4. Even a top 5 finish would probably send us to the playoffs with the Metro being so terrible.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthews still obviously benefits from their presence. With Buffalo, if you stop Eichel you win. Teams can devote all their resources to it.
And Eichel gets more ice-time and opportunity with his teams best players due to this. It is not as simple as you laid out. Matthews most common line-mates are Marleau and Kapanen.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
And Eichel gets more ice-time and opportunity with his teams best players due to this. It is not as simple as you laid out. Matthews most common line-mates are Marleau and Kapanen.

And before they were Nylander and hyman/brown.

Matthews played over 23 minutes last night, but you’re correct. I even went into the leafs forum and said Matthews is better then Eichel for sure. He’s got such a clutch mentality which is why it’s so surprising Boston almost completely shut him
Down over seven games. But with Eichel improving his defensive game drastically since taking over as captain (plus 9 after being -20) killing the odd penalty, Takeaways in front of his net, backchecking due to his strides crossing over into his end, with swift plays in the neutral zone, he is becoming a more complete player and the gap is closer. I’d say Mitch Marner and Eichel are very comparable this year, they’ve almost had identical seasons.

I guess most fans wouldn't go fishing for respect after losing four straight. Especially after being the worst team in the NHL since 2013.

The Sabres were below .500 from January 2013 till October 2018.

That's 70 straight months of sub .500 hockey.

So early in their first season above .500, I'd be worried about a jinx.

Who’s fishing for this? Is the OP even a sabres fan? I don’t think he is.

You can look at it as four straight losses, which it is .....but all were cloze, all by one goal, went 0-2-2 against the best three teams in the NHL in those four games, and buffalo had just won ten in a row before it with 7 of them by one goal, And in the past 22 games have lost just four times in regulation. (6 overall) It’s pretty impressive, don’t see why some try and downplay things so much.

Last edited:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Ive never understood why Eichel isn’t talked about more. Guy is elite and a huge reason of why the Sabres are doing so well. Where’s all the love for Eichel?

So talk about him more then. I have no problem agreeing Buffalo looks VERY good right now and Jacl Eichel is a premier talent in the NHL. But if you're expecting me to start threads about him or your team, well, sorry.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Could Jack Eichel score more than 60 points without Jeff Skinner on his wing?

Skinner is this decade's Milan Hejduk. A winger who is responsible for all of the success of the centre (Eichel or Sakic). Yet the winger gets overlooked due to east coast Canadian bias

I like what you did there :laugh:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Could Jack Eichel score more than 60 points without Jeff Skinner on his wing?

Skinner is this decade's Milan Hejduk. A winger who is responsible for all of the success of the centre (Eichel or Sakic). Yet the winger gets overlooked due to east coast Canadian bias
I swear this says Hedjuk is responsible for Sakic's success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad