The Sabres are one of the best teams in the league, and Jack Eichel still doesn’t get any love

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Stop perpetuating stupid rumors of things that never happened. It's hilarious, Eichel says "We all need to be better" and everyone says he is whining, ROR says he lost his love for the game and everyone says it's justified and he is not a whiner.
He didn't wine. He did what the glorified ideal captain ROR couldn't do and grabbed the team by the balls. Get your facts straight.
I've noticed that Sabres fan are quite insecure when it comes to Eichel. Let's be real, he whined, he got Bylsma fired and he will most likely never be in the Matthews/McDavid tier.

He's good though. 34 pts in 29 is very impressive. But Eichel is supposed to elite player and he barely has more pts than Max Domi. Until he does anything of significance, he's just good.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I've noticed that Sabres fan are quite insecure when it comes to Eichel. Let's be real, he whined, he got Bylsma fired and he will most likely never be in the Matthews/McDavid tier.

He's good though. 34 pts in 29 is very impressive. But Eichel is supposed to elite player and he barely has more pts than Max Domi. Until he does anything of significance, he's just good.
:popcorn: nobody is taking that baito_O

Reactions: Rasmi

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

See in the real world here we like sources. I realize with the current state of politics some people think you can spout whatever you want and it becomes a fact but that's just not the way it is. Provide a source for this claim or stop stating it as a fact.

Reactions: Conbon

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

I know I agree. On the Leafs Eichel would not even make their top 6. In a 2015 redraft Marner goes 2nd and if Matthew's was eligible for 2015 Eichel would have gone probably 5th.

And since Marner and Matthews >>> Eichel they will have to be paid accordingly. If an overrated bum like Eichel makes 10 mil then Marner should get 12 x 8 and Matthews 13.5 x 8. Eichel barely better then Domi? Pfft Domi>>Eichel ainec.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Implying Matthews and McDavid are in the same tier...

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Implying Matthews and McDavid are in the same tier...

I didn't mean to say that Matthews is in the same tier as McDavid because he is not. I put slash but I meant "or". McDavid is the most dominant player since prime Jagr and he's in a league of his own.

Matthews is an elite goal scorer. He probably has the best shot in the league. His [league leading] goal per game average over the last 3 years speaks volume.

Eichel is not elite in anything.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I didn't mean to say that Matthews is in the same tier as McDavid because he is not. I put slash but I meant "or". McDavid is the most dominant player since prime Jagr and he's in a league of his own.

Matthews is an elite goal scorer. He probably has the best shot in the league. His [league leading] goal per game average over the last 3 years speaks volume.

It sounds a bit elite to "not be elite in anything" yet only trail McGenerational by two points?

Edit: Prime Jagr won the Art Ross despite missing 19 games. That seems more like true dominance.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017

He's elite in whining.

Reactions: Riddum

debil

Sep 23, 2006
same case as flames, colorado, leafs. no ones gonna celebrate team that sucked for long time once they pull solid first 30 games of the season. both eichel and buffalo have to show some results before they get recognition.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
same case as flames, colorado, leafs. no ones gonna celebrate team that sucked for long time once they pull solid first 30 games of the season. both eichel and buffalo have to show some results before they get recognition.
This is a fair point.

For me the frustrating thing as a fan of Eichel is that so rarely is he spoken of without the caveat of a comparison to some other young player. It happens with him more than anyone in the league probably, and it's both fans and media that do it.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
they have one great line and a awesome young rookie d. Thats about it. their 3rd and 4th line is bad.

Our 4th line is far from bad. There was numerous times against Matthews they controlled play in the Leafs end. But they do need a bit more skill there. Or at least, someone with a bit of a shooter mentality. Think someone with a bit of a mentality like Brown or Kapanen from the Leafs there, and it would be a perfect 4th line. They all hit, they all grind, they all dive in front of pucks, and the biggest thing of all, they can all take faceoffs. Even tho Sobotka looked like a forward on the Matthews OT goal.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Buffalo hasn't really been a centre of attention for a while.

I am actually shocked Buffalo is worth only 375m for franchise valuations. I always thought it was a great market there, fans always seemed great, and I have always heard talk about how it is an important franchise for the league.

I thought it would be worth much more to be honest.

Regardless, that arena seems to be always rocking

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I agree Eichel gets forgotten about almost as if he turned into a RNH or something, which is definitely not the case.

Excellent player, full stop, no comparisons needed.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I am actually shocked Buffalo is worth only 375m for franchise valuations. I always thought it was a great market there, fans always seemed great, and I have always heard talk about how it is an important franchise for the league.

I thought it would be worth much more to be honest.

Regardless, that arena seems to be always rocking
The market is one of the best if not the best for small market teams. The problem isn't the local, regional marketing. It's the national marketing, or lack of it, the organization needs to correct.
While there are Western New York ex-patriots all over the country, the team itself has had a very dicey existence up until Pegula bought them 5 years ago. And even then, the decision to tear it all down to the foundation and rebuild from scratch has delayed any type real national or international marketing campaign for the club.

There is a much longer range plan however, for the Sabres and the Western New York region involving hockey. The Pegula's have invested vast sums of money in purchasing the Rochester Americans, the ECHL Sabres affiliate the Cincinnati Cyclones, the several hockey arena's built for a larger regional hockey audience, Penn State University, Houghton College for example, and the building of the Harbor Center structure, the Marriott hotel with 2 ice ranks, 716 CLUB (area code) and quietly purchasing property in downtown Buffalo, heading south it appears.

The club is improving on ice, support in the community is swelling, there will be an effort I'd imagine to increase exposure of the Club as at that success occurs combined with marking Buffalo as a "Hockey Destination". Like I said, it's the long game when it comes to this.

Reactions: DanM and sabremike

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
It sounds a bit elite to "not be elite in anything" yet only trail McGenerational by two points?

Edit: Prime Jagr won the Art Ross despite missing 19 games. That seems more like true dominance.

McGenerationals hardware explains for it self why he’s the best player in the NHL.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
McGenerational is a hilarious nickname, lmao

so childish and dumb, yet great

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Partly because playoffs games played: 0

It is interesting to see that the next generation of superstar centers: Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, etc. have very little good playoff experience between all of them. All have just played a round or two and only MacKinnon in his rookie year has really shown out in the playoffs.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If you don't think Eichel is elite at anything you need to watch more hockey. There are like 2 players in the league who can match his transition abilities.

Reactions: sabremike

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
The market is one of the best if not the best for small market teams. The problem isn't the local, regional marketing. It's the national marketing, or lack of it, the organization needs to correct.
While there are Western New York ex-patriots all over the country, the team itself has had a very dicey existence up until Pegula bought them 5 years ago. And even then, the decision to tear it all down to the foundation and rebuild from scratch has delayed any type real national or international marketing campaign for the club.

There is a much longer range plan however, for the Sabres and the Western New York region involving hockey. The Pegula's have invested vast sums of money in purchasing the Rochester Americans, the ECHL Sabres affiliate the Cincinnati Cyclones, the several hockey arena's built for a larger regional hockey audience, Penn State University, Houghton College for example, and the building of the Harbor Center structure, the Marriott hotel with 2 ice ranks, 716 CLUB (area code) and quietly purchasing property in downtown Buffalo, heading south it appears.

The club is improving on ice, support in the community is swelling, there will be an effort I'd imagine to increase exposure of the Club as at that success occurs combined with marking Buffalo as a "Hockey Destination". Like I said, it's the long game when it comes to this.

Very well said, and informative. I appreciate the time spent explaining this. I was really wondering about it, as I said, always seems like a rocking arena with fantastic fans. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad