The Sabres are one of the best teams in the league, and Jack Eichel still doesn’t get any love

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
For me he has always been underwhelming... But this year he finally is starting to make me a fan of him... Still not worth that contract i dont think... but eventually he should be

Buffalo is a pretty fun team to watch now finally

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Too lazy to go through the whole thread, so I'll apologize if it's been brought up already.

What's with the shooting percentage? I don't watch enough of him to have an educated opinion. Is his shot bad or is he riding a historically bad cold streak?

His shot total is one of the best in the league......but he's shooting at what, 4%?

Part of it is that he hasn't had puck luck. Part of it is that he's been shooting from farther out than usual (conversely, Skinner is shooting from prime scoring areas close to the net more than ever before in his career, so Eichel may not be going to those spots because Skinner's already there). And part of it is that he's tended to be a slow starter so far throughout his career, generally picking up more goals in the 2nd half of the season than the 1st.

In any case, I doubt he maintains ~5% all year. Eichel shooting at half is career % is every bit as unsustainable as guys shooting at double theirs.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
And that part you said needs to improve has surprised me this year, it’s the part of his game that’s actually improved the most he’s gone from being -20 to plus nine and has even killed the odd penalty (was a double Minor but still) and made little plays in the neutral zone, that you wouldn’t notice unless you were looking for it and he’s done THAT part the last two years.

However there’s definitely been a change in his game defensively. It seems since making him captain it’s made him accountable and has realized more the ever he has to play great in both ends. The way he skates with his stride makes it appear at times like “he’s floating” or not back-checking but it’s because of a unique skating style, his ability to make plays at high speed have helped his backchecking as well. He’s not a great defensive player but he’s far from being a bad one. He gets caught a lot because of the game he plays but he also had a very weak defense before. I think this aspect of his game it maybe under appreciated but there’s stilll a lot more he needs to add to be considered among the best.

People write lol a lot I guess but I actually laughed out loud here. I had this exact thought when I saw this comment when looking at his av. It’s the smuggest look I’ve seen from him.

I can’t tell if serious? Maybe you saw a game of the sabres where he didn’t play particularly noteworthy and are judging it based on a small sample size? I can’t see any other explanation because he’s a lot of things, but that’s maybe the least accurate thing I’ve ever seen said about him, weird. He’s actually one of the only things that made buffalo watchable the last few years, and before when he was a liability defensively you either had to see because it was a car-wreck or a great play lol. Thankfully as I quoted the guy above that’s improved but still a ways to go.

Preferences are subjective of course but there are a lot of players out there who are great but can be boring to watch. I just think he’d be at the end of that list more-so then at the top. But that’s me of course so hardly surprising.
I understand that and agree he's improved on it. I just think if the Sabres are going to go far into the playoffs, it'll have to be something he improves on. Out of the franchise centers in the Atlantic alone, he's probably the worst defensively from this group Matthews, Tavares, Bergeron, Barkov, Point, Stamkos, Eichel. Those other centers in the playoffs will exploit that matchup.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Kuznetsov and especially Scheiffele need to be in there. Tavares and Point probably come out for now, although maybe not Point, he's been incredible.
Meh, I placed an emphasis on giving the edge to players that helped lead their team to a better standing so far in the rankings for this year. If you wanted career it would be different and Eichel wouldn't be top 10.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He'll be a top 5 player in the league if he can learn how to make quicker plays. Often holds on to the puck for too long.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Ive never understood why Eichel isn’t talked about more. Guy is elite and a huge reason of why the Sabres are doing so well. Where’s all the love for Eichel?

Eichel's great. I drafted him in my pool this year and he's doing very well.

Buffalo has lost 4 straight though.........coming back down to earth. ;)

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

It was always going to happen.

But they did face 3 of the best teams in the league, and two of them were on the second half of back to backs against rested teams.

Pretty brutal scheduling. Plus they were all one goal games, just like the win streak lol.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Buffalo's fun to watch and Eichel is an awesome young player. Other than that, he's not going to be super hyped until he either posts a big season or his team makes noise in the playoffs. If you look at other young guys, you can see why they are hyped to the level they are.

Mcdavid - no explanation needed
Matthews - toronto hype machine
Mackinnon - 97 points in 74 games last year
Rantanen - currently leading the league

If Eichel puts up a 90+ point season this year and the Sabres make the playoffs, you will see the Eichel hype in full swing going into next season.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Buffalo's fun to watch and Eichel is an awesome young player. Other than that, he's not going to be super hyped until he either posts a big season or his team makes noise in the playoffs. If you look at other young guys, you can see why they are hyped to the level they are.

Mcdavid - no explanation needed
Matthews - toronto hype machine
Mackinnon - 97 points in 74 games last year
Rantanen - currently leading the league

If Eichel puts up a 90+ point season this year and the Sabres make the playoffs, you will see the Eichel hype in full swing going into next season.
I love that the only reason you think Matthews is hyped is because he plays in Toronto. Nothing to do with him, clearly.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I love that the only reason you think Matthews is hyped is because he plays in Toronto. Nothing to do with him, clearly.
I'm actually a big Matthews fan. He's obviously a fantastic young player, but the reason why he's so much more hyped than Eichel is because he plays in Toronto - i don't think there's any denying that. He doesn't exactly have Mcdavid's resume yet. He's more similar to Eichel in that he's played at a high level but hasn't put together that full elite season yet.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I'm actually a big Matthews fan. He's obviously a fantastic young player, but the reason why he's so much more hyped than Eichel is because he plays in Toronto - i don't think there's any denying that. He doesn't exactly have Mcdavid's resume yet. He's more similar to Eichel in that he's played at a high level but hasn't put together that full elite season yet.
I agree that he's not on McDavid's level, but I think he's rightfully hyped up.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Practically no one, outside of Buffalo, likes Jack because of how he whined a few years ago. It's going to take years for him to shake off that spoiled brat reputation.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
they have one great line and a awesome young rookie d. Thats about it. their 3rd and 4th line is bad.

Our 4th line is not bad ... id say its one of the better 4th lines in the league. They dominated Matthews line on numerous occasions the other night

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Practically no one, outside of Buffalo, likes Jack because of how he whined a few years ago. It's going to take years for him to shake off that spoiled brat reputation.
He didn't wine. He did what the glorified ideal captain ROR couldn't do and grabbed the team by the balls. Get your facts straight.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

Stop perpetuating stupid rumors of things that never happened. It's hilarious, Eichel says "We all need to be better" and everyone says he is whining, ROR says he lost his love for the game and everyone says it's justified and he is not a whiner.

Reactions: Hasek and Tage2Tuch

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
What exactly did he whine about?? I recall a bunch of theories here on hf but nothing actually real...

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
Our 4th line is not bad ... id say its one of the better 4th lines in the league. They dominated Matthews line on numerous occasions the other night

matthews isnt 100%. you lost the game, at home with last change etc.... leafs played bad you played good, we still won.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN

Except everyone that on air that was once hard on him HAVE already came around and noticed that he is more mature and a real leader at just 22. Since taking the C he’s been doing things on and off the ice that have stood out and helped turn the team around.

Nick Kypreos, Doug McLean. Damien Cox, Gord Stellick all four mostly Toronto based guys all had semi negative things to say about Eichel before and have all praised him this year and talked about to some extent how he’s got it all going now.

So much for your “it’s going to take years theory”...

7 goals only though.

Mitch Marner has six goals. Blake Wheeler also has 7, Panarin has 8ish? All these guys are top players too...Who cares?

I've always thought he was a stud....even if the points weren't there:dunno:

That’s the funny thing, he’s basically been point per game since his rookie year. Lol.....and even in that year he got his career worst 56 pts, so the points have always been there. .....but good on you! Some people just look at numbers and not the GP or bother to watch them.

I understand that and agree he's improved on it. I just think if the Sabres are going to go far into the playoffs, it'll have to be something he improves on. Out of the franchise centers in the Atlantic alone, he's probably the worst defensively from this group Matthews, Tavares, Bergeron, Barkov, Point, Stamkos, Eichel. Those other centers in the playoffs will exploit that matchup.

Out of those guys? Most are better yes, but this year? It’s arguable if Tavares is, and id flat out say no to stamkos (just this year) and point I’m not sure, everyone else is better by a bit or a lot defensively for sure.

Definitely not a guy who is not talked about...

I think the person meant not talked about a lot “for how good he is” just because your mentioned a lot doesent mean it’s admit much as he should be.

Personally I don’t agree. I think this year he’s gotten plenty of love, maybe not crom Canadian media (where I live) but that’s how that works if your hot top five in scoring or make the playoffs generally....

I don’t think he’s underrated or not talked about on HF at all though, so I agree.

matthews isnt 100%. you lost the game, at home with last change etc.... leafs played bad you played good, we still won.

Wow, man! Good job!

No one is even saying buffalo isnbettter then Toronto but you say this like buffalo iced thiere full roster we didn’t have Pominville, McCabe or ya know...our starting goalie in net. And we still got a point and the leafs never outshot buffalo in one of the four periods.

See how I can do that too?

Yeah, so no need to get insecure....

That’s what you said and hope for, but since you were there to mention how we were barely winning why are we now coming back to earth instead of bately losing? Clearly that’s just how you want to view it. Not to mention losing to Toronto, Nashville and Tampa (with leads in the third period on all of them) is nothing to be ashamed of....

We’re not a top ten team but they’ve shown so far enough (even in the games they’ve lost) to prove they could contend for the playoffs.

Even if you still don’t realize the two goalies they have are pretty decent!

Last edited:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Kuznetsov and especially Scheiffele need to be in there. Tavares and Point probably come out for now, although maybe not Point, he's been incredible.

And yet, I'd clearly rather have Eichel than 3 of those 4 you listed.
Jack Eichel vs Scheiffele is a debate I could go back and forth with myself over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad