OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
wow. someone wanted to know if my family wanted to go with theirs to the WEM waterpark.
$40 a person and $32 for a child?!!!

no thanks. what a ripoff.
Not shocking. It was 20 if not more when I went 20 years ago.

Heck what are movies now? I'm sure it was 2o or something last year when I went. Use to always be under 10 bucks.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Heck what are movies now? I'm sure it was 2o or something last year when I went. Use to always be under 10 bucks.
It’s a big range depending on the theatre and time of day. Twenty bucks at WEM. Nine bucks for a matinee at City Centre.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009

Anything cineplex is like $13-14, add another $3 for AVX and another $3 for 3D which no one likes but every movie is.

And they raised scene points from 1000-1500 points for free movie

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
White Sunday. This celebration means if you haven't looked at your driveway or back door all week good luck getting in your detached garage or even driving out of it. if your garage door will even open. So pray for Snow day I guess.

Man what a clusterf*** dump. ALL f***ing weekend constant snow. Shoveled no less than 6 times in Millwoods this weekend. Will have to again in the morning. The snow front is just staying in place. Just dumping everything in one area. Which happens to be Edmonton. The worst is trying to shovel the snow that is on top of the sheets of freezing rain we had just last week. Put a lot of salt down but still some icy patches. Which makes for interesting moments as you're pushing huge mounds of snow.

We had about 1 foot of snow here in this area all in one weekend. Fortunately not too much drifting.

I love Edmonton, really I do, but several days of not even seeing the sun, nothing but dark heavy cloud and fog and snow, and the *days* only being 19hrs long right now occasionally has its effects. With the overcast conditions today it was getting dark at 3;30. f***.

Crazy thing is all the snow nearly melted last couple weeks and now I have piles 5 feet high.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
White Sunday. This celebration means if you haven't looked at your driveway or back door all week good luck getting in your detached garage or even driving out of it. if your garage door will even open. So pray for Snow day I guess.

Man what a cluster**** dump. ALL ****ing weekend constant snow. Shoveled no less than 6 times in Millwoods this weekend. Will have to again in the morning. The snow front is just staying in place. Just dumping everything in one area. Which happens to be Edmonton. The worst is trying to shovel the snow that is on top of the sheets of freezing rain we had just last week. Put a lot of salt down but still some icy patches. Which makes for interesting moments as you're pushing huge mounds of snow.

We had about 1 foot of snow here in this area all in one weekend. Fortunately not too much drifting.

I love Edmonton, really I do, but several days of not even seeing the sun, nothing but dark heavy cloud and fog and snow, and the *days* only being 19hrs long right now occasionally has its effects. With the overcast conditions today it was getting dark at 3;30. ****.

Crazy thing is all the snow nearly melted last couple weeks and now I have piles 5 feet high.

Could always move to Cali. ;)

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Travelling back to Edmonton for the holidays, first real winter in a decade for me.

Any suggestions for things to do for New Year's, for someone in their 20s? Still in the getting hammered phase of my life before I reach the fireworks and then bed phase.

I noticed a place called Alibi Ultra Lounge doing a New Year's thing. Is that place any good?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Travelling back to Edmonton for the holidays, first real winter in a decade for me.

Any suggestions for things to do for New Year's, for someone in their 20s? Still in the getting hammered phase of my life before I reach the fireworks and then bed phase.

I noticed a place called Alibi Ultra Lounge doing a New Year's thing. Is that place any good?

There was a shooting outside that bar a few days ago...

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
This weather is why I love Alberta. Amazing snow in warm weather - it's nearly perfect weather in my books. Spent some time on the trails yesterday and will do so again today with my kids. A half hour to shovel my walks and back entrance to the garage is a small price to pay for perfection.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
This weather is why I love Alberta. Amazing snow in warm weather - it's nearly perfect weather in my books. Spent some time on the trails yesterday and will do so again today with my kids. A half hour to shovel my walks and back entrance to the garage is a small price to pay for perfection.

I don't have an issue of snow, but when it's like 3 feet of it in 1 weekend...that's a bit much at one time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't have an issue of snow, but when it's like 3 feet of it in 1 weekend...that's a bit much at one time.

Even moreso when you do the neighbors walks as well, which I always like doing out of kindness but today even shovelled a path all the way to the local school a block away. Mothers in strollers having all kinds of trouble in this along with some of the handicapped folks in our neighborhood.

PLEASE people, shovel your front sidewalk. This is not something that is optional, its a requirement, and for some is an impediment to being able to go anywhere. Not even the Motorized handicapped scooters were getting through this snow.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
There was a shooting outside that bar a few days ago...

Fair enough lol

Noticed that there's 3 venues downtown doing events:
The Craft Beer Market
Underground Tap & Grill
The Canadian Brew House

Any of those stand out? My wife and I are after great beer and good atmosphere.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Fair enough lol

The Craft Beer Market
Underground Tap & Grill
The Canadian Brew House

Can't really go wrong with any of those IMO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fair enough lol

The Craft Beer Market
Underground Tap & Grill
The Canadian Brew House

Underground has had some problems as well. I don't know much about the Brew House.

The Craft Beer market would probably be the best of these options. I like the atmosphere there.

Take a look at how much they charge as well for getting in if price is any issue. Craft usually has a good crowd. Things don't tend to go sideways there because of the clientele, operation, and who they market to. Seems to be a professional crowd but not pretentious. Just a nice space, lots of room, good service. Might pay a bit more there. On NYE especially its important not to end up in a dive. Word of mouth is not to stay anywhere till last call although you would be fine in Craft. Problems invariably occur at other establishments or districts at last call. Understand as well that UBER will likely have surge pricing on NYE as they often have (I think they still do this) and you could end up paying more than you expect. Cabs hard to come by. Busses run late if it helps.

Just checked, Craft is charging 70-80 bucks for a NYE dinner and dance. Pretty standard. I haven't ate much there so can't vouch for food but have heard good things.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Fair enough lol

The Craft Beer Market
Underground Tap & Grill
The Canadian Brew House

I haven't been in a year, but Beer Revolution was pretty good in Oliver Square.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Underground has had some problems as well. I don't know much about the Brew House.

The Craft Beer market would probably be the best of these options. I like the atmosphere there.

Take a look at how much they charge as well for getting in if price is any issue. Craft usually has a good crowd. Things don't tend to go sideways there because of the clientele, operation, and who they market to. Seems to be a professional crowd but not pretentious. Just a nice space, lots of room, good service. Might pay a bit more there. On NYE especially its important not to end up in a dive. Word of mouth is not to stay anywhere till last call although you would be fine in Craft. Problems invariably occur at other establishments or districts at last call. Understand as well that UBER will likely have surge pricing on NYE as they often have (I think they still do this) and you could end up paying more than you expect. Cabs hard to come by. Busses run late if it helps.

Just checked, Craft is charging 70-80 bucks for a NYE dinner and dance. Pretty standard. I haven't ate much there so can't vouch for food but have heard good things.

Thanks for the info. I've got an Airbnb downtown so I'm hoping they're all a short walk away.

Underground is also doing a fancy 3 course meal thing, what exactly do you mean by problems? Is it the type of crowd?

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Fair enough lol

The Craft Beer Market
Underground Tap & Grill
The Canadian Brew House

It's been a while since I was last there but if you like a relaxed quiet atmosphere, Underground is a good place to check out.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad