OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Anyone following the terrorist attack in sherwood park, car bomb went off in parking garage

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Trying to watch House of Cards but its pretty lamo without Francis. Don't think I'll make it past episode one.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
So I happened to be looking around hockeydb.com today and came across the 88/89 Penguins team. Look at their PIMs!! 15 guys with over 100 PIMs and Coffey second with 193!!! That's 65 more than he'd ever had. Incredible.

upload_2018-11-13_15-7-46.png

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
So I happened to be looking around hockeydb.com today and came across the 88/89 Penguins team. Look at their PIMs!! 15 guys with over 100 PIMs and Coffey second with 193!!! That's 65 more than he'd ever had. Incredible.

View attachment 154299

1800 career PIM. Not the first thing one thinks of Coffey. But, I'm not surprised by the high numbers in the 80s. Plenty of hockey "fans" today would've either fainted, peed themselves or be making calls for their immediate arrests. And, then, there's the ladies.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Anyone following the terrorist attack in sherwood park, car bomb went off in parking garage
So he set off the bomb and it blinded him so he crawled to a stairwell and shot himself in the head but didnt die, was taken to hospital where he died of injuries. The second explosion was a cars gas tank that was damaged from the initial explosion.

Am I the only one who hated how the rcmp handelled this? Trying to x files styles cover it up and say it was a fire. Then when people asked why the fire fighters were coming in swat vans with M4s and shotguns they started to change the story.

Have they still even come out and given all the info?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So he set off the bomb and it blinded him so he crawled to a stairwell and shot himself in the head but didnt die, was taken to hospital where he died of injuries. The second explosion was a cars gas tank that was damaged from the initial explosion.

Am I the only one who hated how the rcmp handelled this? Trying to x files styles cover it up and say it was a fire. Then when people asked why the fire fighters were coming in swat vans with M4s and shotguns they started to change the story.

Have they still even come out and given all the info?
I would think they're looking for any accomplices or perhaps looking to see if there's a larger plot at issue.

I'm not going to defend the RCMP, but they often hold everything close to the vest during active investigations.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would think they're looking for any accomplices or perhaps looking to see if there's a larger plot at issue.

I'm not going to defend the RCMP, but they often hold everything close to the vest during active investigations.
That and are they even trained in what to do in these cases?

These "terrorist" attacks are so weird. The one after the Eskimo game was apparently an Isis Terrorist attack, but then it wasn't. Seems like the word terrorist has taken a new meaning.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That and are they even trained in what to do in these cases?

These "terrorist" attacks are so weird. The one after the Eskimo game was apparently an Isis Terrorist attack, but then it wasn't. Seems like the word terrorist has taken a new meaning.
Well white supremacists have been doing a lot of these in the States (and I assume a few here) for years, so that's more likely the case in all of this. I assume the "Isis" terror attack comes from a place where many find that a little "too easy" to be convinced of being true.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Black Friday? More like whiteout Friday. Stay safe on the roads peeps.

Thankfully the masses in Edmonton seem to have enough sense not to be out in these road conditions for no reason. Had consumers responded as wanted by the retailers SEC for instance would be a shitshow right now. As it was hardly anybody even turning into the hell hole from Gateway or 23rd ave which is fine by me.

Just another example though of US marketing schemes that are really awfully devised for a winter city environment. This date seems suited to an area not facing winter right now and Power Centers like SEC themselves seem not suited at all to a winter environment. Kind of hate these shopping schemes and power centers here. Just build a mall. More people would rather go to that.

The strangest thing is if Heritage Mall was just located either a bit East or West of where it was built it would probably still be around.

yeah, I'm not gonna be packing a new big screen TV or Appliances across perfect curling rink parking lot ice surfaces. I wonder who even bits on the Black Friday sales this time around.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Could be. Its getting harder to tell. My 5lbs of print Black Friday junk mail all arrived bundled up in a nice fire log a few days ago. Mostly now its Black Friday week, starting this Friday. The Flyers all have different time frames for their sale but all are quoting Black Friday and majority starting today.

I'm a bad consumer so really I wouldn't even know, or care. My opinion on saving money is not buying. That approach has done me pretty well financially..;)

It helps to have next to no interest in consumerism, fashion, fad, tech fad etc. I'm immune to marketing but just like to laugh at it.

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
And then there's the question of when in the hell is Black Friday?
I went to update my cell phone plan at Best Buy this past Friday, after seeing Walmart, Amazon and PSN were on Black Friday sales. Whatever. I go there and the person working is like "It's not Black Friday until next Friday".
I'm like ok, well I don't really care. Just give me best deal on phone today. Took a free iPhone 8 instead of an X that might be on sale on Black Friday part 2. Get it home, difference is negligible from the last one I had 2 years ago.

As years go by I get older and don't care. Today tucked the pants in and popped on some boots I would have cringed at 3 years ago to walk to a store. Didn't give a single f*** as I crunched over the ice, while everyone was gingerly stepping. Getting old is actually awesome in comfort and function.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Anyway reason I opened this thread was to ask a question:

Anyone know of a good way to stop my patio door from freezing up shut? Last winter it was impossible to open, my first winter in this place. It's stupidly the only exit out to my backyard and this year I don't want to deal with that shit again where I need to go out the front or garage door then walk around the entire yard just to get into the backyard.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
And then there's the question of when in the hell is Black Friday?
I went to update my cell phone plan at Best Buy this past Friday, after seeing Walmart, Amazon and PSN were on Black Friday sales. Whatever. I go there and the person working is like "It's not Black Friday until next Friday".
I'm like ok, well I don't really care. Just give me best deal on phone today. Took a free iPhone 8 instead of an X that might be on sale on Black Friday part 2. Get it home, difference is negligible from the last one I had 2 years ago.

As years go by I get older and don't care. Today tucked the pants in and popped on some boots I would have cringed at 3 years ago to walk to a store. Didn't give a single **** as I crunched over the ice, while everyone was gingerly stepping. Getting old is actually awesome in comfort and function.
What phone were you upgrading from if you don’t mind me asking? Reason I ask is I got an iPhone 6s for free through Bell during their Black Friday sale 2 years ago and I was planning on upgrading before the end of the month as my contract is up. Just wondering how big the improvement is to the iPhone 8. I’m a bit on the older side too and not really worried about getting top of the line but will try to get the best available for free. The last contract I got the phone and an iPad mini for $113 per month, was hoping for something similar this time.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Went from the 6s to the 8. Truthfully, I don't see any great improvement. In a lot of ways it's a downgrade for me because the 6s had 128gb and this one has 64. Seems like it has better camera specs but this doesn't mean much for me. At least I don't have to charge it up 5 times a day, yet. But otherwise it's just run of the mill iPhone, same as before.

Reactions: rboomercat90

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Kind of off topic but not really?

I'm a writer, mainly finance and I run a fairly successful Canadian finance website considering how cut-throat the niche is. We're launching a huge service at years end so I may need to be at home to operate it. Long story short, I was looking for some other things to have a little bit of income and enjoyment.

I applied for an Oilers position on TheHockeyWriters.com, and after sending them my portfolio of financial writing and a few Oilers samples (they rejected my first one! Ha) they decided to take me on. Now, I've followed the site a bit, and honestly I don't really like the two guys who report on the Oilers there, so I haven't been to it in ages. Does anyone here actually follow the site? Or has anyone had a position there? They claim they have 2 million viewers a month. The pay is there, but it's really not there if you know what I am saying, so it would more so be a hobby for me. I'm just trying to get some insight on how big the site actually is and what I can expect in terms of viewership.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Kind of off topic but not really?

I'm a writer, mainly finance and I run a fairly successful Canadian finance website considering how cut-throat the niche is. We're launching a huge service at years end so I may need to be at home to operate it. Long story short, I was looking for some other things to have a little bit of income and enjoyment.

I applied for an Oilers position on TheHockeyWriters.com, and after sending them my portfolio of financial writing and a few Oilers samples (they rejected my first one! Ha) they decided to take me on. Now, I've followed the site a bit, and honestly I don't really like the two guys who report on the Oilers there, so I haven't been to it in ages. Does anyone here actually follow the site? Or has anyone had a position there? They claim they have 2 million viewers a month. The pay is there, but it's really not there if you know what I am saying, so it would more so be a hobby for me. I'm just trying to get some insight on how big the site actually is and what I can expect in terms of viewership.

I never heard of the site but as long as the cheque clears does it really matter?

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I never heard of the site but as long as the cheque clears does it really matter?

The cheque would be so small, that it's more of a concern for me if anyone is actually going to be reading it haha. If I were to write for a minuscule amount of money, I'd at least want people reading and giving me feedback on the content. Payment is dependent on viewership as well too, so it's somewhat important I guess.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Not a huge Soria fan. He lost me when he said Benning had a nice bounce back game against Vegas(???).

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
wow. someone wanted to know if my family wanted to go with theirs to the WEM waterpark.
$40 a person and $32 for a child?!!!

no thanks. what a ripoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad