OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread 2: Self Isolate Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
And zero cases... lockdown ova!!!! our reward, insane specials on tourist activities with no tourist and live sport with crowds!!!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I wonder if the cops walk off the streets; if I was their union I would tell them to walk off tomorrow unless the get job protections; it would be wrong and despicable thing to do but as a union it seems right up the alley of what they would do.

This is going to be an social experiment that could change communities and policing for the world.

There's already a model for this in Camden, New Jersey, that started about 10 years ago where they did what everyone's talking about now: defund, restructure, re-organize more social outreach, etc etc. Don't know the specific details but they went on from being I think one of the top 3 worst crime areas in the country to seeing major improvements. Notably with all this policing mess going on things with the police were calm and respectful in Camden.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
If all the good people don't want the bad people police (because acab) to be part of the system then they are either going to have to be police themselves or perhaps no one will commit crimes anymore.

yup

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 7th, 2020
Minneapolis City Council Members make commitment to dismantle the Minneapolis Police Department, look towards a police-free future
Minneapolis, MN—

3. We recognize that we don’t have all the answers about what a police-free future looks like, but our community does. We’re committing to engaging with every willing community member in the City of Minneapolis over the next year to identify what safety looks like for everyone.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Binge watched Defending Jacob this week. Compulsive viewing - don’t want to spoil to much other than to say there are some valid criticisms, but the atmosphere of the show and its cast of actors are all stellar.
Did the same. Me and my wife thought it was very powerful, and your description is spot on. The acting by the three primary family members was multilayered and captivating. Started slowly but ends with a bang!

Side quesion: I wonder how the future seasons of our favourite shows will be impacted by the pandemic. Could we have a year pause for all the current shows? Maybe even some cancelations because of budgeting issues, but I sure hope not.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The week’s episode of Last Week Tonight was really good, I thought. Definitely worth a watch.
I was gonna say the same about yesterdays new episode of Patriot Act with Hasan Minaj. Really good, worth watching right now. On Netflix so everyone can check it out. I have to wait for LWT to hit youtube unfortunately.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Side quesion: I wonder how the future seasons of our favourite shows will be impacted by the pandemic. Could we have a year pause for all the current shows? Maybe even some cancelations because of budgeting issues, but I sure hope not.
God I hope not, I really got into and enjoyed both of Greg Daniels' (The Office Creator) new shows that premiered this Spring; Upload and Space Force (starring Steve Carrell!)

I would recommend both to everyone.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Did the same. Me and my wife thought it was very powerful, and your description is spot on. The acting by the three primary family members was multilayered and captivating. Started slowly but ends with a bang!

It is definitely causing delays. For example, two shows Mrs. C and I watch - Lucifer and The Orville - had to shut down mid-production due to COVID. Lucifer was supposed to have been out already and they were quite far into everything although not yet 100% complete, whereas The Orville was about 50% done. Seth MacFarlane joked that “in one episode, you’re going to get halfway into it and all of a sudden the actors are going to look a little older and fatter” :laugh:

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
It is definitely causing delays. For example, two shows Mrs. C and I watch - Lucifer and The Orville - had to shut down mid-production due to COVID. Lucifer was supposed to have been out already and they were quite far into everything although not yet 100% complete, whereas The Orville was about 50% done. Seth MacFarlane joked that “in one episode, you’re going to get halfway into it and all of a sudden the actors are going to look a little older and fatter” :laugh:
Aw man haha! Love love love Orville. As long as they eventually resume though we will have to learn patience.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
God I hope not, I really got into and enjoyed both of Greg Daniels' (The Office Creator) new shows that premiered this Spring; Upload and Space Force (starring Steve Carrell!)

I would recommend both to everyone.
So you think the criticism Space Force has gotten in the media is unwarranted?

Just got into Kim's Convenience (I know I know, I'm late to the party), and its been just a brilliant dose of funny in these dark times.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
So you think the criticism Space Force has gotten in the media is unwarranted?

I've seen an article or two about that, I haven't seen any of the show though. Part of me wonders if people see a show with Greg Daniels and Steve Carrell and automatically compare it to the Office.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I've seen an article or two about that, I haven't seen any of the show though. Part of me wonders if people see a show with Greg Daniels and Steve Carrell and automatically compare it to the Office.
I think thats absolutely the case. I’d like to think I’m sophisticated enough to appreciate things objectively for their own value. I’m probably not, but I like to think I am!

Reactions: I am toxic

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
Finished Space Force the other day, really enjoyed it. It’s just going to get better once all the actors develop their characters further.

Panties

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I went into Space Force with an open mind but was very unimpressed. Pulled the plug after about 4-5 episodes. Just wasn't for me, but glad others have enjoyed it.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Yeah I just binged the entire first season in a couple days since they had it on there. Going to have to bust out the DVD set to watch the other seasons I guess...

Have you watched any of the Mayan's series? I watched all the original and never got around to seeing the new series.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
There's already a model for this in Camden, New Jersey, that started about 10 years ago where they did what everyone's talking about now: defund, restructure, re-organize more social outreach, etc etc. Don't know the specific details but they went on from being I think one of the top 3 worst crime areas in the country to seeing major improvements. Notably with all this policing mess going on things with the police were calm and respectful in Camden.

I don’t think Camden went as far as what folks are calling for. Their move to disband their PD was, in part, basically union-busting. They did enact a lot of serious reforms, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad