OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread 2: Self Isolate Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Well, uni students aren't exactly a singular bunch. Look at the ages of the average cop joining the force in the US. In South Africa of course the cops have undergone a rather major shift in the last few decades; they'd have to, wouldn't they. Ditching apartheid, black police chiefs...the US hasn't had to go through anything like that.

People are much more impressionable that most of us realize. Training is absolutely important. Too bad most of the US cops don't seem to get much of it.

Its not just the SA police, its just Noah just does a good job at explaining the culture difference between what a bad police Culture and a good one looks like, Nz and Aus have the same police culture and I'm sure there are others.

This is an honest exchange with police in New Zealand.

Edit. Google tells me the average age joining the police force is 27, but data is hard to come by Edit 2 that is in Vancouver not US.

Last edited:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
"Running from Cops" is a podcast that I listened to early last year about how bad the TV show "Cops" is, and how it changed/influenced the culture of policing in the US.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
in Canada isn’t is also just 6 months training to become a police officer?

hair stylist courses are like a year;
dog grooming courses are like 14 weeks;

some how I think we should require at least the training equivalent to a hairstylist For our cops

RCMP you spend 6 months at Depot, and then the first 6 months with on the road with a training officer.

Municipal you spend 11 weeks at the Justice Institute, 18-22 weeks in the field with a training officer, and then you return to the justice institute for another 11 weeks.

I'm not sure what it's like in the States though.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Lol. They STILL maintain he slipped despite video evidence to the contrary. 50+ Buffalo stormtroopers resign in protest over the suspension of two of it’s goosestepping thugs claiming “they were just following orders”. Like WTF?.. At the very least, there’s 50+ LESS bad cops working in Buffalo. Problem is, like pedo priests, they’re always going to be able to find another place to work.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Its not just the SA police, its just Noah just does a good job at explaining the culture difference between what a bad police Culture and a good one looks like, Nz and Aus have the same police culture and I'm sure there are others.

This is an honest exchange with police in New Zealand.

Edit. Google tells me the average age joining the police force is 27, but data is hard to come by Edit 2 that is in Vancouver not US.

In Australia they have a show like COPS/Live PD but it's called Beach Cops. They're all super laid back in a very Australian sort of way. They have undercover members who wear hurley shirts and board shorts. Just a real polar opposite to what we see in the States.

Reactions: Stories Tales Lies

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I know two individuals that became police officers. Both of them were alpha males in High School and one was a stereotypical bully and had many "loose screws."

The problem is the police force attracts scum who like the feeling of having power and the ability to grapple and attack others.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Blue wall of silence still continues:

Real men proud that they can push around a 75 year old guy.

Their whole defense seems to center around the fact that it was a “light push” and that he then “slipped”. You’d think that people whose job it is to de-escalate conflicts might just know that elderly people might just be a tad easier to shove around than their younger, able bodied counterparts?

If I lightly shoved a 75 year old man, I’d still fully expect him to end up on the ground and likely injured badly. He’s f***ing 75.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Its a years long process and continual training to become A cop on Canada, including personality testing, over 10 years history checks and multiple family member interviews.

It's not nearly as complicated int the USA, and maybe even the 6 month figre you refer to. Which is part of the problem, another part is the salaries in America are nearly half that of Canada.

Please nobody derail this by bringing up either topic specifically, just when it comes to split points between Canada and USA there's always been two angles of non-existing study that my curiosity. First, the correspondence between number of legal guns in society and the black market price and availability of an illegal gun, and second, the effect of for profit health insurance paid by the employer effects American income.

Like we all have been told our healthcare isn't 'free', it is paid for by our taxes. Well you would have to think it's basically the same thing in the US, it's just far less transparent as the employee never sees it (I think?) on their paycheque, deductions, or taxes. Back on topic here considering the line of work and the high cost of US healthcare I wouldn't be surprised if it costs the 'employer' like $1000 a month for health insurance on each police officer, where as in Canada that would go onto the paycheque.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Their whole defense seems to center around the fact that it was a “light push” and that he then “slipped”. You’d think that people whose job it is to de-escalate conflicts might just know that elderly people might just be a tad easier to shove around than their younger, able bodied counterparts?

If I lightly shoved a 75 year old man, I’d still fully expect him to end up on the ground and likely injured badly. He’s f***ing 75.

Someone should ask the cops
is pushing someone not assault?
If they say no then ask if they will prevent any charges of assault on cops if protestors start lightly pushing them

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Please nobody derail this by bringing up either topic specifically, just when it comes to split points between Canada and USA there's always been two angles of non-existing study that my curiosity. First, the correspondence between number of legal guns in society and the black market price and availability of an illegal gun, and second, the effect of for profit health insurance paid by the employer effects American income.

Like we all have been told our healthcare isn't 'free', it is paid for by our taxes. Well you would have to think it's basically the same thing in the US, it's just far less transparent as the employee never sees it (I think?) on their paycheque, deductions, or taxes. Back on topic here considering the line of work and the high cost of US healthcare I wouldn't be surprised if it costs the 'employer' like $1000 a month for health insurance on each police officer, where as in Canada that would go onto the paycheque.
We still pay taxes for healthcare in the US and it's on your paycheck, W2, and tax return. Also, everyone should know how much they're paying on their health insurance. If you get it through your employer then you either choose which one you want (if they give you that option) or you accept the only one they offer. Just want to point out that my HMO plan (the cheaper and less accepted option) when I was working at Fox Sports was over US$350/month.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
We still pay taxes for healthcare in the US and it's on your paycheck, W2, and tax return. Also, everyone should know how much they're paying on their health insurance. If you get it through your employer then you either choose which one you want (if they give you that option) or you accept the only one they offer. Just want to point out that my HMO plan (the cheaper and less accepted option) when I was working at Fox Sports was over US$350/month.

Okay good for me to know the answer then. With how expensive it is to buy individually especially to cover an entire family I figured it would be much higher than that.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Okay good for me to know the answer then. With how expensive it is to buy individually especially to cover an entire family I figured it would be much higher than that.
It's crazy expensive down there. That amount was just for me and that was the cheapest plan on offer for me. If you're poor and don't have a good job then you're kinda screwed.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
in Canada isn’t is also just 6 months training to become a police officer?

hair stylist courses are like a year;
dog grooming courses are like 14 weeks;

some how I think we should require at least the training equivalent to a hairstylist For our cops
Yes I believe the academy for RCMP is 6 months. But it is stupid and disingenuous to compare to a regular education. That's 6 months of living on site, training and taking courses full time all day. I doubt dog groomers are doing that.

Reactions: rypper

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I know two individuals that became police officers. Both of them were alpha males in High School and one was a stereotypical bully and had many "loose screws."

The problem is the police force attracts scum who like the feeling of having power and the ability to grapple and attack others.
This is not at all a fair characterization. One of my close friends is RCMP and he is one of the most level-headed and rational people I know. No better type of person I would want protecting my community. Not to say there aren't ones like you describe but from what I've heard in Canada there are things in place to prevent those types from obtaining the power they probably shouldn't have.

I imagine not so in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark