OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread 2: Self Isolate Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Is anyone here a real computer nerd? I'm looking at getting a windows laptop so that I can use a specialized software (requires Windows 10 and NVIDIA graphics card) but I'm not sure how much I should spend and if the minimum requirements would be good enough or if I should get something more powerful. I've always had Macbook Pros and so I haven't bought any other brands for like 15 years, leaving me with no idea.

Software minimum recommended requirements:

Processor Intel i7 (2.2GHz)
Memory 16GB DDR3, 1600MHz
Display Resolution 15” Full-HD (1920 x 1080) or better
Graphics Card 2GB GPU minimum, 4GB GPU recommended. Below a list of the minimum recommended models from each generation:
GTX 680M, GTX 770M, GTX 880M, GTX 970M, GTX 1050, K1200, M1200, P1000
Hard Disk 256GB or more
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sounds like your wallet will be a couple grand light based on those specs. I'm assuming the hard drive is a SSD.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Is anyone here a real computer nerd? I'm looking at getting a windows laptop so that I can use a specialized software (requires Windows 10 and NVIDIA graphics card) but I'm not sure how much I should spend and if the minimum requirements would be good enough or if I should get something more powerful. I've always had Macbook Pros and so I haven't bought any other brands for like 15 years, leaving me with no idea.

Graphics Card 2GB GPU minimum, 4GB GPU recommended. Below a list of the minimum recommended models from each generation:
Hard Disk 256GB or more
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The geek emporium thread is a very good place to get help with this stuff on HF. Those specs are similar to the desktop PC I built a year and a half ago, which cost me $1200 though since I built it myself and found good deals probably saved $300-500 for a similar pre-built system. So I'm not very good with laptops but you're probably looking at about $1000-$1200 minimum for those specs. You don't want to go below minimum requirements (though 16GB ram seems like quite a lot) but depending on what you want to use it for I don't think you need to go beyond the minimum. The software already sounds like a pretty high benchmark, and it's no longer like the earlier days of computing when things would be outdated in a few years, the computer I had been using prior to my current one I built in 2009.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
The geek emporium thread is a very good place to get help with this stuff on HF. Those specs are similar to the desktop PC I built a year and a half ago, which cost me $1200 though since I built it myself and found good deals probably saved $300-500 for a similar pre-built system. So I'm not very good with laptops but you're probably looking at about $1000-$1200 minimum for those specs. You don't want to go below minimum requirements (though 16GB ram seems like quite a lot) but depending on what you want to use it for I don't think you need to go beyond the minimum. The software already sounds like a pretty high benchmark, and it's no longer like the earlier days of computing when things would be outdated in a few years, the computer I had been using prior to my current one I built in 2009.
Thanks mate! The program is heavy on 3D and virtual graphics so that's why it would be a high benchmark. I've found ones that seem to fit the bill (actually slightly better from my understanding) for about $1,500 so that seems about inline with what you think.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
SUPER-WORLD_NO-BROADCASTERS__ResizedImageWzYwMCw2MDBd.jpg

New Zealand's COVID19-free gift to the world...

The best domestic rugby comp in the world.

If you want to see what sets NZ up to be as strong as it is at rugby then check this comp out, It is a shrunk-down comp with just the 5 NZ super rugby teams playing in a round-robin format with each team playing everyone twice, home and away. two games a week one sat night and one sun afternoon NZ time.

This last week we have had all COVID restrictions lifted so crowds are allowed in.

It is basically like if they a smaller NHL comp with just the Canadian teams and all Canadian players.

Players that have been playing overseas have come home for this comp including some of the best to ever play the game.

Games are on TSN or stolen from streams online.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Hard Disk 256GB or more
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It really depends on the program but if I have learned something over the years it is the the minimum requirements are usually just that. If you can afford it, you should normally go way above that otherwise its going to be a pain.

Does it have to be a laptop or would a desktop PC do as well? The parts are cheaper and you could configure it to your liking / needs. Just for reference, I have the below config which cost about €2500 all together
AMD Ryzen 3700x
64GB DDR4 3000
Samsung 49'' curved monitor 32:9 (that was the expensive part with ~1k)
Radeon RX 5700 XT 16GB
1TB SSD, plus some older HDDs

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Anyone else seen Ad Astra? What a terrible rudderless piece of shit. I’m a sucker for 99% of sci fi or introspective themed movies but holy hell that was a slap in the face. Decent looking movie, Brad Pitt did all he could do with a terrible script. 90% of the science was laughable. For a blockbuster set mainly in space with a decent cast this was embarrassing

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Thanks mate! The program is heavy on 3D and virtual graphics so that's why it would be a high benchmark. I've found ones that seem to fit the bill (actually slightly better from my understanding) for about $1,500 so that seems about inline with what you think.

Lots of advice here in this thread, I am not well versed enough to give mine, but my friend owns a really good computer shop here that does all sorts of special builds and stuff, and I have found at least really well priced. Give it a try its called Evergreen Computer store here on the North Shore. If you go ask for Neil and tell him Joe sent you and he will treat you really well.

He is also a big Canucks fan and was a former season ticket holder.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I’ve never seen the show, but read/heard so much about it I feel like I know it. It must have been a heck of a show to become part of our cultural talk.

It was a great show, the first HBO show that had my family for HBO.

I think that ending is soo good if that is just five minutes of how Tony must live every day... never knowing.

But if they kill him... it's a week killing done poorly.

Like Hitchcock in a scene with two people talking and a bomb underneath them then it goes off is boring. VS if the audience knows the bomb is there and its suspenseful.

Reactions: Luckylarry

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
It really depends on the program but if I have learned something over the years it is the the minimum requirements are usually just that. If you can afford it, you should normally go way above that otherwise its going to be a pain.

Does it have to be a laptop or would a desktop PC do as well? The parts are cheaper and you could configure it to your liking / needs. Just for reference, I have the below config which cost about €2500 all together
AMD Ryzen 3700x
64GB DDR4 3000
Samsung 49'' curved monitor 32:9 (that was the expensive part with ~1k)
Radeon RX 5700 XT 16GB
1TB SSD, plus some older HDDs
Thanks for helping out. I need it to be portable so it has to be a laptop, unfortunately. Seems like everyone is saying the same as you, to go above the minimum recommended requirements.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Lots of advice here in this thread, I am not well versed enough to give mine, but my friend owns a really good computer shop here that does all sorts of special builds and stuff, and I have found at least really well priced. Give it a try its called Evergreen Computer store here on the North Shore. If you go ask for Neil and tell him Joe sent you and he will treat you really well.

He is also a big Canucks fan and was a former season ticket holder.
I'll keep that place in mind. Cheers mate. I'm in North Van so that's close by too. :thumbu:

Reactions: racerjoe

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Anyone else seen Ad Astra? What a terrible rudderless piece of shit. I’m a sucker for 99% of sci fi or introspective themed movies but holy hell that was a slap in the face. Decent looking movie, Brad Pitt did all he could do with a terrible script. 90% of the science was laughable. For a blockbuster set mainly in space with a decent cast this was embarrassing

Must agree on this one completely. Settled in last Saturday with snacks to enjoy a new HBO release. The snacks were good -- the movie was terrible.

Sat down tonight to watch another HBO release with trepidation after last week. "The Good Liar" was very enjoyable. It's far and away not an action flick, but it was a good one.

That's 50-50 for the June releases thus far.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I can see why people might not like Ad Astra. It has a few flashy set pieces that are misleading for the overall contemplative tone of the movie. If you're looking for a rock-em sock-em space opera, this isn't it.

I found it beautifully shot and with some fascinating details of a somewhat dystopian future. I thought Brad Pitt showed a lot of depth but didn't appreciate the Tommy Lee Jones character.

I wouldn't say it's a great movie but definitely not a terrible one. De gustibus etc etc.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I can see why people might not like Ad Astra. It has a few flashy set pieces that are misleading for the overall contemplative tone of the movie. If you're looking for a rock-em sock-em space opera, this isn't it.

I found it beautifully shot and with some fascinating details of a somewhat dystopian future. I thought Brad Pitt showed a lot of depth but didn't appreciate the Tommy Lee Jones character.

I wouldn't say it's a great movie but definitely not a terrible one. De gustibus etc etc.
The contemplative tone of the movie is smacked in your face by show AND tell with ridiculous narration. There’s no scent that attracts the viewer to the daddy issues, the writers stick two fingers in your nose and drag you to the whiny easily grasped points. Gawd what a shit movie

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I’m a sucker for 99% of sci fi or introspective themed movies but holy hell that was a slap in the face.
Made during the heyday of “FMV” video game craze. Effects dated now but bear in mind this wasn’t made by a major film studio but a games company. EA wasn’t the bohemoth that it is today.

Starring Luke Skywalker & Biff Tannen!

Actually much better than the Hollywood movie version with Freddie Prince Jr.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad