OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread 2: Self Isolate Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
SoA fell off very badly after a few seasons. It was downhill after their trip to Ireland. Jax was so stupid it was unbelievable. I think I left off at season 5? 6? Maybe?

Sons was one of those shows that I watched until the end just because I'd committed so much time already, not because I truly enjoyed it. Kind of like Dexter.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Can I ask what you didn't like?

To keep it simple, I just didn't find it funny. What made 'The Office" great to me was the interactions between Carell & everyone else. The supporting characters just didn't work for me in this one.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Sons was one of those shows that I watched until the end just because I'd committed so much time already, not because I truly enjoyed it. Kind of like Dexter.
Stopped watching dexter immediately after, I'm sure you know why.

Last edited:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
To keep it simple, I just didn't find it funny. What made 'The Office" great to me was the interactions between Carell & everyone else. The supporting characters just didn't work for me in this one.
I thought the first few episodes were very funny. Favorite line that still sticks out to me was about the Coast Guard even being behind the Salvation Army in terms of military arms and importance. It's not going to be The Office, can't compare them, not least not right away. Carrell's got a pretty stellar supporting cast to work with (Malkovich, Schwartz, Kudrow, Lynch, Patrick Warburton!!), some series sitcom talent.

Reactions: m9

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I just couldn't keep on going. I just stopped caring. There was a season my wife bought me for Xmas one year, and she had to keep on harassing me to put it on and watch it because I refused to watch it on my own. It just got too damn stupid. It was just too annoying.

My wife followed Dexter to the bitter end. To this day, all the dvd sets are in the wall unit about five feet behind me as I type this. I didn't mind some of the earlier seasons, but that's another series I stopped following long before it ended.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm at the same stagnant place with Vikings right now. I'm in almost in season 5 and I'm really struggling. Haven't watched it in about a month since binge watching it. Seems like most shows peak is the first couple seasons then after the plot starts to get forced and you can tell when the writers ran out of ideas but you feel forced to watch just because you invested all this time into it.

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I just couldn't keep on going. I just stopped caring. There was a season my wife bought me for Xmas one year, and she had to keep on harassing me to put it on and watch it because I refused to watch it on my own. It just got too damn stupid. It was just too annoying.

My wife followed Dexter to the bitter end. To this day, all the dvd sets are in the wall unit about five feet behind me as I type this. I didn't mind some of the earlier seasons, but that's another series I stopped following long before it ended.

Dexter should have ended much sooner then it did, I can't remember which season it was but looking back at it one of the season finales had a great opportunity to wrap it up. I can't really remember it all now but it involved the female Police LT/Captain and the shipping container with his sister.

I used to have a thing where even if a movie/show was terrible I'd ride it out just tosee how it ended. Now i'm passed that. I hadn't seen the latest X-Men movie and have tried to get into it to watch it and i just can't. It's so boring.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Dexter should have ended much sooner then it did, I can't remember which season it was but looking back at it one of the season finales had a great opportunity to wrap it up. I can't really remember it all now but it involved the female Police LT/Captain and the shipping container with his sister.

I used to have a thing where even if a movie/show was terrible I'd ride it out just tosee how it ended. Now i'm passed that. I hadn't seen the latest X-Men movie and have tried to get into it to watch it and i just can't. It's so boring.
Yeah, there's a point where you just stop if you're not enjoying it anymore. Either you're invested in the story or you're not. Like the Walking Dead. When it came out, it was our Sunday family ritual. We'd all gather round to watch the zombie splatter, cheer on our favourite characters and offer them advice, but there was a point where it was just too damn stupid to keep watching. Life's too short, y'know?

I'm at the same stagnant place with Vikings right now. I'm in almost in season 5 and I'm really struggling. Haven't watched it in about a month since binge watching it. Seems like most shows peak is the first couple seasons then after the plot starts to get forced and you can tell when the writers ran out of ideas but you feel forced to watch just because you invested all this time into it.
...okay, that last season sucked. Yeah. No argument here. The Hvitserk pity party just went on and on and on...but there's only one more season. I still care enough to follow the story through on that one. Just barely. Due in no small part to Lagertha being Canadian and seriously badass in real life, and Bjorn being from Vancouver.

How I Met Your Mother.
My daughter used to watch that when it was running. Hated it. Hated every single character in it. I wanted to beat them all to within an inch of their non-existent lives.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Anyone watched season 3 of Westworld? Season 1 was my favorite TV show when it came out and season 2 was good but not as good as the first. I watched about 3 episodes of the latest season and just never felt the need to keep going with it. It's just so different now that I lost interest. Should I keep going with it?

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008

That was either the 7th or 8th season.

Dexter should have either ended with season 4 (would have been one of the most most amazing finales ever) or gone off the deep end in 5 and end there.

Season 5 was by far the worst, season 6 was pretty mediocre, 7/8 had a good antagonist but by then it was too late and things had gotten too ridiculous.

Honestly for for anyone who hasn’t seen Dexter watch seasons 1-4 and stop and it will be in your top 5/10 tv shows of all time.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Anyone watched season 3 of Westworld? Season 1 was my favorite TV show when it came out and season 2 was good but not as good as the first. I watched about 3 episodes of the latest season and just never felt the need to keep going with it. It's just so different now that I lost interest. Should I keep going with it?
...I dunno. It's okay. It's not *that* much of a dropoff from seasons 2 to 3. Although it's long since lost whatever point it was trying to make. Season 1 raised some good questions about the nature of life and sentience...and since then it's just become yet another shooty punchy scifi crapsack future riff. Jesse from Breaking Bad shows up as one of the main characters in season 3. I mean, it's decent...but yeah. It's yet another high concept show that didn't live up to its promise.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
...I dunno. It's okay. It's not *that* much of a dropoff from seasons 2 to 3. Although it's long since lost whatever point it was trying to make. Season 1 raised some good questions about the nature of life and sentience...and since then it's just become yet another shooty punchy scifi crapsack future riff. Jesse from Breaking Bad shows up as one of the main characters in season 3. I mean, it's decent...but yeah. It's yet another high concept show that didn't live up to its promise.
Season 1 is very good, and the rest of the show is :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

I followed Season 1 and 2 avidly.

Season 1 is out of this world good.

Season 2 had great moments and episodes, but it fell apart, undoing the whole rationale of Season 1. Kiksuya (S2E8), however, may be the single best hour of television I have ever watched, building on Season 1 and the episodes of Season 2 to that point.

I gave up on Season 3, not even sure where to find it (CraveTV?).

A great short series is Jekyll, if you can find it.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I guess I won’t bother with the rest of Westworld then. I looked up reviews online as well and it looks like it progressively got worse in season 3 and the last two episodes must have been horrendous. Some shows just need to be done after a season or two.

Reactions: I am toxic

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Talking about shows that I loved initially and couldn’t get enough, to having to trudge through to watch...

The Man in the High Castle. Great first season, forced and willed my way through season 2. Dialogue and writing (not to mention directing) got so bad in season 3 I had to quit two episodes in. Still makes me confused and sad at what could’ve been.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Talking about shows that I loved initially and couldn’t get enough, to having to trudge through to watch...

The Man in the High Castle. Great first season, forced and willed my way through season 2. Dialogue and writing (not to mention directing) got so bad in season 3 I had to quit two episodes in. Still makes me confused and sad at what could’ve been.
Haven't seen it yet but I wonder if some things were better left as a much shorter mini-series rather than actually running thru several seasons?

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Haven't seen it yet but I wonder if some things were better left as a much shorter mini-series rather than actually running thru several seasons?
Very few shows keep up the greatness past 1-3 seasons. The plot with gets repetitive or ridiculous.

even my favourite shows with multiple seasons have weak/bad seasons.

I get why it happens it’s all about the money but Damon I wish they could ignore that sometimes.

Reactions: Hit the post
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad